• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

stopping sessions early

Kyle Aaron

Having a look over the strength mill forums, I found this old post which is a repost of words from the strength & conditioning coach of the Aussie cycle sprint team of the time.

It discusses a few interesting things - including dissing Swiss balls, which should make most people here happy - but one part stood out for me:-

"11. The one thing we do that most coaches can't cop is this. If you don't make the target times or loads on the first effort or set, you warm down and go home. You aren't fresh enough to train at a level that will make you improve. If you do a PB, you warm down and go home.

"If you are on fire that much you can blow yourself to pieces in a couple of sets or efforts and it will take weeks to dig you out of the hole you put yourself in, so whatever it is, if you PB, you stop and come back next time. This philosophy takes everyone a while to accept, but it works.

"When we don't follow the rules, if we let someone pump out a series of PBs in one session, they are almost invariably wrecked for weeks afterwards and we never get close to quality training during that time. Sometimes, you can see it coming, but sometimes it just comes out of the blue. When it does, warm down, go home.

"Sometimes, at lower levels you can get away with it, but the better you get, the more capacity you have to exceed your normal limits, the more this becomes important."

That's a very interesting observation - that if you can't get your normal performance, or if you get a personal best, you immediately stop, warm down and head home. Obviously doesn't apply to beginners, but for more advanced trainees...

Of course he's talking about cycling, but at first glance I don't see why it wouldn't apply to other kinds of training. And it does make sense - if you're just off that day, slamming hard won't help, and if you're really doing well, you might push yourself too hard, great for competitions, not great for training.

Thoughts?

I've been told this before as well, but only applies if you are someone who normally gives 110%.

I've been told a few times by my trainer to just walk away. If you try and push past it, and your body just won't fire, sometimes it is best to let it go. Think this tends to apply to me as I can have a bit of a temper.

I feel that the days where I am feeling the flattest or weakest and I have to really push through my workout to get the same results as last week I get my best gains. I have nothing to prove this really, but I really feel like I achieve more if I am pushing as hard as I can rather than when the weights feel like they are flying up with ease.

In saying that, whenever I have a big week and push a few PB's, I always feel weaker the next week. So maybe I have pushed to hard?

so it is saying when you go over what you normally can do then be happy with it, stop and dont push yourself so hard that you screw up for the next few weeks? that is what i am understanding.

That's interesting. How would it work with, say, turning up at a personal training session? I had a moment like this a few weeks ago but had to push through it otherwise I wouldn't get my money's worth out of the PT.

So it matches what you've seen over years of people lifting?

'Cos I wouldn't know. It seems to make sense, but lots of things sound about right but then when you check 'em out...

Well, because clients pay for an hour, I have to ensure they get an hours training.

I get around it by nearly never allowing anyone to break a PB by more than 2.5kg at a time, unless it was just insanely easy.

Once they break a PB, we move on to another lift. I have a lot more options open to me than a cyclist I imagine.

Again, when a lifter is obviously flat, I move to another lift. If theyre still dragging their feet, I really change things up.

I've had guys training for absolute strength switch to Dinosaur training, or conditioning guys over to 1RM stuff.

Running, kegs, bands...I have many, many options. Either way they'll get an hours training, its just that it will be 180 degrees away from what they have been doing, simply to freshen them up.

I dont have elite athletes at PTC, so its a little different, but the concept is the same

Okay, thanks for that Markos.

I did wonder whether it'd apply in the same way to more recreational lifters or runners as opposed to the professionals. But thinking back it makes sense. Training on my own, sometimes I've felt strong and knocked over a PB, that gave me confidence to try another one in another exercise, I did it there, too - but then I plateaued for the next month or two.

That's a very good point about having the full hour, not being able to just knock it off, and so changing the training. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks again.

The basturds at my gym won't buy 1.25kg plates. I'm gonna buy some from a sport shop and bring them. 2.5kg on each side is too much to go up by every week :/

Well, because clients pay for an hour, I have to ensure they get an hours training.

Again, when a lifter is obviously flat, I move to another lift. If theyre still dragging their feet, I really change things up.

I've had guys training for absolute strength switch to Dinosaur training, or conditioning guys over to 1RM stuff.

Running, kegs, bands...I have many, many options. Either way they'll get an hours training, its just that it will be 180 degrees away from what they have been doing, simply to freshen them up.

Agree with you 110% here. It's an awesome approach. One of the best things you can do for your clients is teaching the importance of finding ways to move past something. They have made the effort to be there, paid their cash, so don't give up, just approach things differently. I have days where it seems like my muscles just will not cooperate, so I have to stop kicking myself, step away and do something totally different. Reckon it also helps prevent injuries caused by tiredness and sloppiness.