• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Should I be drinking protien shake??

Most people simply have a liquid protein drink. This is not enough as after a heavy lifting session you need to restore glycogen in the muscles as soon as possible, this is best achieved with liquid carbs, simple sugars, and the best is dextrose monohydrate as it has the highest glycemic index of all simple sugars.

So instead od instructing lifters to simply have a protein drink, the post workout drink needs to more than that. Around a 50/50 split of carbs and protein

I heard you can use powerade powder from shops, which is pretty much simple sugars. Is this true?

Any fat will slow the absorption, its what were trying to avoid, so I guess chocolate milk fails, might fail on the protein quantity as well.

Gatorade powder will work.

Thanks, it's a bit expensive, especially if your heading for the 70-ish g for the insulin spike.

Right now I'm having oats with my shake, next time I make an order off Vitamin King I'll get some dextrose.

Dextrose is $3.50kg

Gatorade is $10.00 for that tiny tub

No brainer.

I reckon 50gms of each protein and carb

where do you get your dextrose from, PTC? Apparently brewing kits are a good place to look.

Thanks, it's a bit expensive, especially if your heading for the 70-ish g for the insulin spike.

Right now I'm having oats with my shake, next time I make an order off Vitamin King I'll get some dextrose.
No.. As PTC and Katie said get dextrose monohydrate from the brewery section of your Supermarket or Big W.

Couldn't find any in the supermarkets I went to. Checked the brewery section and also asked. I bought some of Myopure, $6 a kg.

Couldn't find any in the supermarkets I went to. Checked the brewery section and also asked. I bought some of Myopure, $6 a kg.

coles def sells it
havent found one which doesnt

looks like this
Coopers_brewing_sugar.gif

and costs 3.xx dollars

not sure where you looked?
fairly sure woolworths has it too
havent seen it in IGA although i havent looked

I have to start looking around a bit more. I am currently buying Maltodextrin for about $20 for 2kg.

Is that $3.xx per KG?

yes
3.xx per kg

there actually 3 products they make which you can use
dextrose
brewing sugar
and brew enhancer 1

dextrose is dextrose
from memory brewing sugar has 80% dextrose 20% maltodextrin
and brew enhancer has 60% dextrose and 40% maltodextrin

I got the dex, gonna be taking 50g post workout. Should I take it after every workout? I train around 5 days a week, is so much simple sugars alright?