• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Variation to stonglifts 5x5

domo87

I had a read through stronglifts 5x5 and i've devised a program based on its philosophy. because i've got enough time to dedicate an hour to the gym 3 times a week i've got more excercises and i'm doing 4x6 of the same weight.

i've done 2/3 sessions based on the program but now i'm a bit stumped. from what i gather the 5x5 program only increases the weight 2.5kg on one excercise each session. i got through the session doing the same weight so do i increase the weight for every excercise or a select few

for example

Excercise week 1 week 2
1) benchpress 55kg 57.5kg
2) cable crossovers 17.5kg 20kg
3) dumb bell shoulder press 15kg 17.5kg
4) Assisted dips -15kg -12.5kg
5) decline db press 17.5kg 20kg
6) shoulder raises 10kg 12.5kg
or should i stagger the increases because i'll probably fatigue for the latter excercises i.e increase 1-3 only this week and then increase 4-6 the next session.

Be careful not to tinker with the 5x5 template too much. If you were to take the recipe for apple pie & use pears instead, it obviously wouldn't be an apple pie, if you know what I mean.

I wasn't aware that cable cross overs was in the template. Well done on wanting to do the decline presses, they're great.

The concept of 5x5 is a pretty basic one, progressive overload. If in one week you increase your squat, deadlift & bench press...you may not be able to put in 101%. Don't think about it too much, just get in there & create a PB on one lift a week

Be careful not to tinker with the 5x5 template too much. If you were to take the recipe for apple pie & use pears instead, it obviously wouldn't be an apple pie, if you know what I mean.

I wasn't aware that cable cross overs was in the template. Well done on wanting to do the decline presses, they're great.

The concept of 5x5 is a pretty basic one, progressive overload. If in one week you increase your squat, deadlift & bench press...you may not be able to put in 101%. Don't think about it too much, just get in there & create a PB on one lift a week

pear pie still tastes great though :)

i know where you are coming from powerbuilder but i've been doing weights for a while know.

yeah i love decline presses, i dont mind cable crossovers as they focus on my inner chest.

for example
Excercise week 1 week 2
1) benchpress 55kg 57.5kg
2) cable crossovers 17.5kg 20kg
3) dumb bell shoulder press 15kg 17.5kg
4) Assisted dips -15kg -12.5kg
5) decline db press 17.5kg 20kg
6) shoulder raises 10kg 12.5kg

I've just been doing a 5 x 5 program and I don't think what you've set out really reflects what a 5 x 5 program is all about. The 5 x 5 program I did (on Mad Cow site) focused on Compound exercises with some other core exercises and very few isolation exercises. For example each three of my weekly workouts contained squats and either flat bench or incline press. Deadlifts also once a week and Barbell row the other two days.

You have too many isolation exercises there to compare it to a 5 x 5 program. Also, are you doing 4 sets on the same weight or working up to the weight listed over 4 sets? While 5 x 5 is not the only way to workout out I don't think you could really call what you are describing as a variation to the 5 x 5, but rather a completely different routine that also works on progressive loading over a period of time.

thanks Skid', that's pretty much what i was trying to say.

5x5 is beautiful, bcos of the huge amounts of compound movements & lack of isolation movements. Cable cross overs have no room in 5x5, as do leg extentions & tricep kick backs

The 5x5 works good, got me big quick. I just stuck to the compounds, but I did heaps of other shit too.
Compounds = Meat and potatoes
Other shit = Yummy Lollies

Thinner? Not sure what you mean, but the chest is a complete muscle, you cannot isolate different part esp with crossovers, just hit the flats and occasional inclines.

Dont cross the cables, bring the handles together in front of you with arms out stretched. I picked up this tip and thought WTF but after trying it you will feel every inner muscle fiber. Try it.
AZZA

Thinner? Not sure what you mean, but the chest is a complete muscle, you cannot isolate different part esp with crossovers, just hit the flats and occasional inclines.

Like not as wide, my outer chest looks good, but my inner chest isn't up to scratch.