• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pull downs

poopoohead

I dont think pull downs are useless if there done heavy and till fail.
In the last few aching reps of each set I like to pause half way and squeeze the muscles, then do later reps starting from the half way point and back only to that half way point.
and I like dips. I used to do kickbacks but now find em orquid, I dont mind skull crushes, but just cant get the same burn wif these.
But I think rope and bar pull downs get a bad rep (pun intended)

Last edited:
Pulldowns are not useless, but the general consensus is that chins/pull-ups are more effective.

Last edited:
I don't think they're useless, but yes chins and dumbell/barbell rows are more effective.

Part of it is mental, I think. It just doesn't feel as impressive - for most people - to be messing with a machine compared to your body or a bar. When I see regulars in the gym using a machine, they're much less likely to put the peg down a level than someone with a bar is to put another plate on.

It's like weights at home vs a gym membership. You can put just as much effort in and do it just as regularly... but do you? Some, yes. Most, no.

That doesn't mean I doubt that poopoohead or anyone else here with home gyms or machines get results. I'm speaking generally. If you're determined enough you can get results whatever kind of training you do. If you're slack you won't get any results whatever kind of training you do. The person matters much more than the equipment. But the equipment matters, too. How much?

It's hard to say. When I trained in the Army everyone used barbells, only officers used machines - maybe they thought if they had to ask for a spot it'd diminish their Authoritah. Now in my little community gym, mostly only men use the dumbells over 2kg, and almost no-one uses the barbells except for some bench-pressing.

If I want to use a machine, I'll be lucky to finish a set without someone else wanting to use the thing, forget about finishing all my sets. When I go to the squat cage to do my squats, rows, presses and chins, I can usually do my entire 45-60 minute workout without being interrupted.

Most people focus on the machines (including treadmills, etc) and dumbells, and most people look the same month to month. Whether it's that people who put in soft efforts prefer machines and dumbells, or whether machines and dumbells prevent hard efforts, that's hard to say. Probably a bit of both.

I do them after chin ups cause I suck at 'em. Pull downs help me kill the muscle after I can't do it with chin ups anymore.

It's hard to say. When I trained in the Army everyone used barbells, only officers used machines - maybe they thought if they had to ask for a spot it'd diminish their Authoritah.

CartmanAuthoritah.jpg

I do them after chin ups cause I suck at 'em. Pull downs help me kill the muscle after I can't do it with chin ups anymore.

Hey man, have u tried adding a small amount of weight to ur chins, maybe only 2.5kg. I hit a barrier with chins so i added just a bit of weight as a way of progressing.

lol, nah man, my chins are shit. I've bulked up to 95kg but my lats haven't improved that much. I'm working on body weight at the mo.

Still on topic, but I can only do 3 sets of 6 pull-ups (massive struggle by the 3rd set), so should I be doing other lat/back muscle workouts to increase strength and size before attempting the pull-ups again at a later date?

You can if you want. Or you can just squeeze out another set or two after those 3, eventually you'll be able to do 3x 7, then 3x 8, etc.

I've noticed that I went on a different bar and managed to do wayyy more reps with wide grip, they are slightly angled nicer. From doing like 3 reps (lol) to 10 full I was stoked. Might've been some improvement on my part too for doing negatives on that hard ass bar.