• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Overtraining

howzit

Since I've come back to the gym, I'm just so eager to train. I want to know if I'm overtraining by going nearly everday with a 3 day split (legs/should chest/tris back/bis)?

Training has to match your diet. Only train enough to match what your eating. Most cases of overtraining are through not enough nutrition. Thats muscular overtraining. I prefer to call it under eating.

Overtraining of the central nervous system will never happen on a soft program like what your doing. Not possible.

Hope that helps.

Ah, I eat a shitload. Good to know :) So much talk about overtraining on BB.com. They really try to scare ya lol.

Well, you know, bb.com just want to make sure you buy lots of their supps to break through your supposed overtraining.

Most of us know when we're overdoing things in our life. Lack of food, as Markos says, but also lack of good rest and fitness, these will make your recovery take longer.

For me it's a balance thing. I could eat more and train harder, but I don't want to spend my life in the gym, not with me under the bar all the time anyway. I accept slower results as the price of this.

But if you really love being in the gym, or want quicker results, go for it - listen to your body, work as hard as you want.

I dont know if I eat heaps.
I kinda binge a bit at night, not too hungry during the day tho.
Somedays more some less I workout hard 4 days a week on average 40mins to an hour a day.
I might go nuts on a saturday for a couple hours, depending how I feel.

Doesnt take me long to build size and strength, but I do have a bit of a tummy cos I hate cardio. hee, hee, hee.

Last edited:
The worst people to listen to in regards of what the body can and cant do is recreational bodybuilders.

The best to listen to is elite competition lifters.

When the Bulgarians conducted tests on how long the body released test and growth hormone during sessions, the answer came back at 45 minutes. No use training longer than that.

Reading that, most would simply stop at 45 minutes. Common sense. What did the Bulgarians do? Stopped at 45 minutes, of course.

For each of their six daily sessions. They simply trained for 45 minutes....more often.

Given were not professional athletes and have to work, it still doesnt mean you need to impose limits.

Hey, eagerness is good! But even those who aren't super-keen, just moderately keen, they can do some good things, even if Markos will think they're worthless :)

If an exercise isnt helping you get stronger, it is extremely close to useless.

Pump means nothing.

You get strong in the gym

You get fat or lean at the dinner table

Any exercise that is not contributing to you getting stronger is simply cutting into your recovery, ensuring you stay weak and frail.

Last night at PTC I and another client picked up a 90kg weight and passed it to a lifter overhead. He can only get 70kg overhead, its his bodyweight.

Holding this weight at arms length for about 15-20 seconds had him shaking like a leaf. I placed my hand on his midsection and back, it was like granite, but shaking.

Useful movement.

Doing 20 situps....pointless.

Max last night did partial squats in my squat stands. he is 17 and weighs around 69kg. He did a rep with 290kg. Thats a heavy barbell to place on your back.

His entire body ached.

Useful movement.

Doing 20 fitball crunches...pointless.

Before doing an exercise, ask yourself if that is the single best exercise for what you are trying to accomplish.

Good enough is the most destructive term in lifting. Only the best is good enough when clients are giving me their hard earned.

I couldnt stand myself if I took money from clients and had them do fluff.

A client on Tuesday night vomited 15 minutes after he left PTC. On his veranda. His fiancee told me, she too trains at PTC and thought it was hilarious.

they all vomit eventually lol

We could just paste all his newsletters into one big pdf. But it might get a bit repetitive: "Stop eating junk and drinking, lift heavy, stop feeling sorry for yourself and lift, come on Fat Dave, another lazy person quit on the same day as someone older and smaller than them set a new lift record, stop eating junk and drinking," etc :D

I think his latest newsletter summarises his ideas pretty well, though.