• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Technique for side db raises?

S

simon8783

Regarding side db raises -

How much do most people bend their elbows when they raise the weight? I find that holding them almost straight feels wrong and ineffective (can also barely lift anything and doesn't seem to work delts much), but if i keep them at 90 degrees (as some people seem to prefer) my forearms get sore and i don't feel like i'm getting a full range of motion.

I've also recently been trying a sort of 30 degree bend but i have to lift the weight up above shoulder height (even though upper arms are raised flat with my shoulder level) and i just don't feel like that's right either. To get an idea, it sort of looks like i'm raising my arms up to cheer for something (obviously not cheering for my great form:)

I really want to work my side delts but just wondering what most people here think? Seated vs standing? Straight vs bent arms etc?

you should have your elbows slightly bent forwards, 30-45 degress is usually heaps, just so it takes the pressure off your elbow joints. your arms should all be on the same plane from your shoulders to your hand

Your inner elbows should be facing forwards, wrist should be flat, ie db should be horizontal to the ground.

Sounds like you are trying to lift your wrists,, or the weight is too heavy, your should be raising your arm at the shoulder there should be NO rotation of the arm at the shoulder joint, or wrist., your bi should always be in front never ontop, and your tris always at the back never under.

Start with a lighter weight, stand in front of the mirror and practice. you should feel it in your shoulder and no were else, after a full set of 10-12 you may feel some tightening in your forearms from hanging on to the db and keeping your wrist strait.

The more you bend your arms the easier it will be on your shoulders/wrists, you will see lads doing huge weights, single arm, while supporting themselves on a bench etc with the other arm. they bend their arm more with the much heavier weight to avoid elbow damage. Maybe try this..

Your should start with the weights by your side, lift them to just above shoulder height and lower them back to your side, slowly and without hitting you legs, do it slow, 1,2 up, 3, 4 down, and with control, gut tight, stand strait.

If that still doesnt burn, then hold it for 2 counts with your arms up , parallel to the floor.. dont bend , twist, throw the weights up, swing them in front of you, do the movement too fast, or arch your back.

Last edited:
sounds good to me, practice with less weight till technique feels good, ask a pt they should give u a pointer or 2 if they arent wankers