• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Smith machine squats vs Leg Press

Morgan

I have been doing both lately just to get a feel but I am starting to think that the leg press is better,

I noticed as I am going heavier with squats (120kg+) I am starting to get funny feelings in my knees/lower back, I have had my form checked by multiple trainers and they say it's AOK, do you guys think it'd be a bad idea to drop the squats and just go super super heavy on the leg press for 3 sets? I just dont know if squats are for me?

So far I plan on.

Leg press OR squats
Deadlifts
Calf raises
Hamstring curls

What do you guys/gals think?

Cheers, Morgs.

why cant you do BB squats
smith squats are not a substitute and promote bad form

i would BB squat, BB front squats (if you feel your quads are smashed enough) leg press with feet at top of plate (emphasis on hamstrings) and then do hamstring curls/leg extensions if you wish

calves i like to train heavy at least 2 times a week. they are a stubborn muscle to grow

i do deadlifts on back day. you will be limiting how much you can lift by doing them after squats. i would devote another day to them when your legs are fresh.

I dont do BB squats because they dont have a squat rack at my gym, their BB's only go to 40kg so that's no help either, sadly it's smith machine or nothing.

My legs are never fresh, because on my non-weights training days I run, so my legs are generally buggered 6 days a week.

So you think leg press over smith machine squats?

so they dont have olympic bars where you can load up on weight?
only fixed weight bars?

if so you could try lunges with heavy DB's in each hand

Time to find a new gym.
As UPG said, smith machine squats are not a good substitute for BB squats only a variance on the odd occasion.
Still, at least you are smashing legs in some way unlike many who skimp out altogether.

Time to find a new gym.
Ohhhh, but I love my gym, 80% cardio users and the weights section is always quiet :(

I'll see how the legs develop, on my new program starting Monday I'm doing

Leg press
Static lunges
Calf Raises
Leg curls

Hopefully that does the trick :)

Cheers guys.