• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

modo

Banned
Ok guys, i was just wondering, how do you get good pec shape?? Obviously its all dependent on genetics, but things like well rounded or very squared off full pecs... how do you get the shape of yours to happen? my seem to grow but only outs wards and round like breasts... and not the good round... but they are all muscle... so wondering how do you bring the shape and even-ness of them out??

You can calculate your bodyfat with a tape measure and this site. It varies a lot, but for the typical bloke you need to get in the mid teens of bodyfat percentage before anyone will be able to tell the difference between pecs and man boobs - under 10% and they'll definitely notice.

It's genetice. I have kinda the same thing, plenty of muscle in the lower and outer pec but little in the upper chest. I guess I don't have many muscle fibres in the upper chest. GH would help immensley.

yeh shrek i was thinking same, i seen a few people who got upper chests over night lol.

so we might be in same boat. thing is i want to try and round off or square my pecs off.

I tried to even out the pecs but to no avail. I was doing all incline work, no flat or decline but still my lower grew but upper didn't so after many years I realised it was not going to happen. GH has capacity to not only grow the muscle finre but growing new ones as well which we would need to grow upper pecs where we lack muscle fibres.

I have horribly shaped pecs....If I were born a female Id grow those horrible breasts that are long and thin and start narrow then droop outwards with massive nipples on the end of em....

euuuuw tim!

mine arent bad, i just want to sharpen them up. they look good when i train all pumped they look very nicely squared off. but rest of time they look so so.

Any chest exercise will do it, Flea.

48122-11218-chestbig.jpg

The pectoralis major is one muscle on each side of the body, you can't work part of the single muscle and not work the other part. You could build the right pectoralis major more than the left, but not the upper more than the middle or lower.

The pectoralis major attaches to the sternum (the bone in the middle of your ribs) and the inner half of your clavicle (the bone along the top of your chest that goes up and down when you shrug your shoulders). It attaches to the humerus - the bone of your upper arm. It pulls the humerus towards the body, and helps the arms move up and down.

Sometimes the insertion on the sternum is higher or lower, that's why some people have U-shaped pecs, and some more V-shaped. It goes under the deltoid (shoulder) muscles, as Shrek notes below.

The exact shape it'll be when built up is just your genetics, like the shape of your jaw or nose.

Last edited:
incline. use good form, and weight should be pushed up to above forehard and when broguht down slowly in line with your neck. this has worked best for me on incline gets me a good upper pump i tihnk it is helping to build some top pec.

Any chest exercise will do it, Flea.

48122-11218-chestbig.jpg

The pectoralis major is one muscle on each side of the body, you can't work part of the single muscle and not work the other part. You could build the right pectoralis major more than the left, but not the upper more than the middle or lower.

The exact shape it'll be when built up is just your genetics, like the shape of your jaw or nose.
Spot on... look at where the insertion of the pec is at the deltoid, how is it possible to isolate upper and lower..you can't.

I actually think it is possible to concentrate on different areas of the pectoral muscle.
The main consideration is were teh insertion pointon the humerous is in relation to the origin point of the muscle.

As mentioned you can train one part with out the other, but you can make one area work harder

Some people are just shaped with high insertion points in relation to their origin points, and will cause much more emphisis on the lower pec, if you have a low insertion point there is more muscle above so you get a more balanced looking pec.

This also varies on exercises that alter the two points in relation to each other.
Do this.
have your arm extended downwards at 45 degrees and tense your pec see what area is pumped, now change this so your arm is up at 45 degrees and feel how much more your upper chest is tensed, its not just a re arrangment of the muscle

Doing exercises such as incline db press is great for upper chest, in this movement your pecs become an extension of your deltoid group, you upper chest also plays an important stabilizing role in front db raises, exercises were you can cross your arm over your chest, above your shoulderline are also good.

The pec helps to rotate your upper arm inwards hold your arm strait out in front, palms inner elbow up, tense and feel you chest with your other hand, its flat....
Now roll your hand inwards and feel your chest change shape.

By doing, down wards pushing exercises this will help to isolate the lower pec fibres,
decline db presses, and dips are awsoem exercises for this.

when doing decline db presses, when you get to the top rotate the weights so that your palms are facing at the top, this brings your arms closer by atad which causes a better contraction, and the rotation (different at this angle) also helps to bite in down low.

Anothe rway to test it do a heap of incliune db presses until almost failure, then try a few declines and see, that you can again push the weight up, it feels easier, because that part of the pec is not exhausted. go teh other way if you want.. The pecs are naturally stronger pushing down, because there is generally more muscle mass below the humerol insertion point.. its just mechanics at work.. Also most people use the pec to help lift them selves up a downward push motion, much like your lats, which places more emphisis on the lower pecs..

...I use my clavicles as an idication of my upper chest is too small, if I can see em I train more upper and they go away..