• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

drinking

Is it true that alcohol has a negative effect on testosterone levels and it usually takes around a week to get 'em back up to the norm?

thats alright then, so after a drinking session my testosterone levels come down to a normal level :D, just joking

I have changed my habits from downing a carton and also some bourbon over Thursday - Sunday to now only buying 12 beers for the weekend. So I am changing my habits to suit what I am doing at the gym and for what I want to achieve. I can't see myself stamping it out completely though.

Everything within moderation I say, maybe if I was to think about competing I would look at it differently. I am adjusting everything gradually to fit into my lifestyle, that how I view it too. My diet and training is a lifestyle to me, not just a fad I am going through in my mid 20's. I'm learning how to keep myself in good shape for my family and for a great quality of life.

Please dont take this seriously I do this with everyone that says EVERYTHING IN MODERATION.

Just suck a little cock this weekend, only have a little crack, shoot up HALF that heroin, only kiss half the men at your gym.

I have to say, everything in moderation is the stupidest saying I have ever heard.

The word EVERYTHING makes it a joke.

I was told that alcahole prevented any real muscle growth and most guys who drink end up with small gains that are hard laboured.
It is also surposed to eat away a muscle tissue.
I still enjoy a few beers every now and then

HAHA, I get what you are saying. I just don't have any other way of saying it, I don't see Alcohol as such a bad thing. If you have a couple on a weekend and that is your way to unwind, I believe it is probably better than not having it.

I don't need Alcohol to unwind, but I sure do enjoy the luxury of sitting back and chilling with a beer. I work ****en hard and I feel I deserve it. HAHA

Also, I have not seen any difference in my gains between when I used to drink to much and now that I drink under half of what I used to.

That's because you're still drinking a fair bit.

It's like the guy who cuts down from a pack of smokes a day to half a pack. Yes, he is definitely better off in the long-term. But he's not going to notice much difference day-to-day. Any more than one or two smokes daily is going to screw his efforts.

The National Health and Medical Research Council tells us,

1. For healthy men and women, drinking no more than two standard drinks on any day reduces the lifetime risk of harm from alcohol-related disease or injury.
  2. For healthy men and women, drinking no more than four standard drinks on a single occasion reduces the risk of alcohol-related injury arising from that occasion.
  3. For healthy men and women, drinking no more than six standard drinks a week reduces the lifetime risk of harm from alcohol-related disease or injury.

Josh, 2 drinks on Fri or Saturday should be enough.
I hate alcohol and everything it stands for. It's poison.

That is fine and I agree to a degree. Some people should not drink and it is the cause of MANY of our issues in society these days. Though I know it is not out of control for me and I believe that I am doing myself major harm. Well no more than what alot of other things are doing to my body. Like hanging around race tracks and the like sucking in exhaust fumes, tyre smoke etc. etc.

2 drinks on Friday and Saturday night is not enough, that won't even last a footy game!!

I'm guessing nobody has done a search yet on how the body reacts to alcohol, how it treats it. This is one of the most disturbing things you will find.

I have a few medical journals, but there is no way I am going to type out the info.

I did that on the forum I moderate and 50 pages later everyone was still arguing.

this is one subject where I know I simply cannot tell people to stop drinking. It is ingrained into our society.

I go to junior sport every week. Everyone is there to watch the kids, most drink. They cant even go out for 2 hours without drinking. Role models? Front page of the paper, every day, alcohol, violence etc

Its a drug. Because our hypocritical government makes it legal, to reap massive taxes, everyone thinks its okay.

Pointless me telling them its not.

i dont care i still love my beer, i reckon if your hardcore enough and your training means that much then i understand why you dont drink but remember ya gotta chill out some how and what better way...Beer forever!!!

got any links PTC, i'd be interested in having a read.

i do know drinking heavily all the time ****s your liver, thats about it.

okay, i did my own quick research and now remember stuff that was taught in school.

HTML:
http://www.wctu.org/alcohol_and_the_body.html

Oh yeah, I am not disputing that Alcohol is a drug or that it is not good for you at all.

But what about studies that have been done that stipulate one glass of Red Wine a day is good for your health?

I'm with ya ChrisOX!

Its not the alcohol in the wine, its the grape.

I'm out of this one, good luck with your progress fellas.

like anything you adapt to the effects, and after a while you dont notice them, it becomes normal.

Try this dont have a drink for a month, longer even, then have 6 heavy beers and see how you feel the next day, you will be surprised.

like not drinking coke for a month, and then have a glass, the stuff tastes like crap..

And yes it is the antioxidant properties found in the skin of red grapes that make it benificial to you..not the alcohol content, red wine can also leave you feeling fairly ordinary the next day, worse then many other drinks, due to teh high tannin content i beleive.

I will have the occasional drop of red, maybe once a week, or a few beers here and there...but getting even slightly drunk, seriously impairs my abilty to have decent work out for more than a week..

and beer is full of carbs, even low carb beers, and alcohol itself is full of energy, so not great if you wanna cut...

But what about studies that have been done that stipulate one glass of Red Wine a day is good for your health?
You're not having a glass of red a day, though. You're having half a slab of beer on the weekends. So the glass of red isn't relevant.

I know we'd all rather keep it nice and abstract and speaking in general so we don't have to look too closely at ourselves, but let's not be wusses about this.

Your drinking will affect your lifting, just how much you don't know until you stop. And it carries risks to your long-term health and safety. Trofius puts it well,
trofius said:
Try this dont have a drink for a month, longer even, then have 6 heavy beers and see how you feel the next day, you will be surprised.

like not drinking coke for a month, and then have a glass, the stuff tastes like crap.
Progress in life comes from being honest with yourself, rather than keeping things all abstract and general.

4 beers in one session does not have any impact on me the next day, I am sure of that. It is processed by then, but I am going to have 4 - 6 weeks off at the start of next month to see how I feel. I am not trying to say you guys are wrong at all, you are not wrong and I agree with alot that you are saying because it is FACT. I am just throwing my opinion in and it seems people are saying that I am not honest with myself and being general. Why can't we have a discussion without the nay sayers jumping on their high horses? Guess what, people live different lifestyles than each other, what a surprise????

Beer is something that I enjoy and something that I am going to continue to drink. Period. I don't drink Red Wine because it dehydrates the hell out of me. Apart from Beer, I drink 3 - 4 litres of water a day, a few protein shakes and a pre workout drink. No coffee, no fizzy drinks, cordial or any of that shit.

As for the Carbs in beer, I am a hard gainer. I hover between 11% - 12% Body fat without touching cardio AT ALL! I have to eat 3500 cals+ per day to keep gaining gradually. So the Carbs part is not a problem for me.

Well, it's nothing to me. But what is interesting is the defensiveness that pops up in these discussions. It could be beer, it could be other parts of our diet or our training methods. It always starts as "X does me good," then becomes "X does me no harm," and finally "maybe X does me harm but I don't care."

This is true whether it's beer or leg press vs squat or just training upper body or Hungry Jacks or whatever. People get very attached to their way of doing things, and very defensive about it.

I think we make more progress when we keep an open mind, and try new things and see what happens. Obviously you don't have to and can't try everything, but anything not obviously immediately injurious or pointless, we should give it a go and see what happens.

So I think it's good you'll take some weeks off the grog to see what happens. Whether it makes a difference or not, you'll know, and can use that knowledge to make decisions in the future.