• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

About becoming a personal trainer

Okay mate I'll get back to you on that, and thanks. Between work, study and a fiancee, everything has to be arranged carefully so as not to upset anyone ;) Sometimes it feels like musical chairs!

I know the feeling trust me. Living in Sth Yarra, full time uni in bundoora, 2 jobs in Mt waverley and Carnegie, then 5 times a week training in either Oakleigh or Frankston.

I'm glad I am not the only one that has to juggle everything. No wonder why so many people are fat and unhealthy. It takes a fair bit of effort to do this stuff, lucky I love it.

Well I am not so busy as you guys, but still.

The main thing is being conscious of the needs and wishes of my woman. It's not really "asking permission" the way some blokes put it, it's more simply consulting. Even if they'll almost always say "yes", they just like to be asked. They don't like it when you just go ahead and do things without talking to them first.

It reminds me of a thing I read, wish I could remember where, about democracy. Lots of people say, well so long as the government is doing what you want, it may as well be a dictatorship, you only need a say when you're unhappy. Then in Switzerland they did a survey about people's happiness with local government. In that country they have a sharp division between citizens and non-citizens, their say in affairs.

They found that people who had a vote but didn't get what they wanted were happier than those who had no vote but did get what they wanted. It turns out that simply having a say in things is more important to people than getting what they want. People want to be listened to - as I found out the other night in the gym, hmmm.

As well as intimate relationships, I think that's a useful insight for training people. It comes back to one good thing a teacher told us, "people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

This I think is why Markos is successful. He told me a story of someone paying for a half-hour session with a PT where the PT stuck them on a treadmill for the half-hour and then wandered off. Definite lack of the Care Factor there.

I'm sure that for many trainers it's hard to keep up the Care Factor with the daily grind of gyms, bureaucracy, slow shifts with not many people in the place, lazy clients and so on. But that's just life in the service sector - despite the bad or ordinary clients, you have to remain cheery and productive for the sake of the few really good clients.

The main thing is being conscious of the needs and wishes of my woman. It's not really "asking permission" the way some blokes put it, it's more simply consulting. Even if they'll almost always say "yes", they just like to be asked. They don't like it when you just go ahead and do things without talking to them first.

Here here! Finally a man who gets it!

Not impressed with the institute again today.

We all arrived shortly before 0900, everyone was in dread. "We've got a new teacher, So-and-so is teaching us today, she's harsh, she locks the door if you're late and won't let you in."

At 0910 nobody had arrived to teach us. I rang up the senior educator, got his answerphone. "Mate, this is Kyle from Cert III Fitness, we've got a class scheduled here for 0900, we have either teacher X or Y, we're not sure, but for whatever reason they've decided not to join us. We're feeling a bit lonely, could you call me back and tell me if we're going to get any company? Thanks."

Extremely polite but taking the piss, it's the best way to be with people who are messing you about.

No callback this time. Some people started drifting off, normally everyone would have been gone by 0920 or so, but the second half of the class was getting their practical assessment in the afternoon, so...

At 0950 the teacher arrived. "Sorry I'm late." People were pretty angry.
"Almost an hour, geez."
"No, class started at 0930."
"It's been 0900 the whole semester so far."
"Oh I see what's happened. We have a meeting at 0800, over at the other campus we walk out of the meeting into the class, but since this is a different campus we have to drive over, so class starts at 0930."
"The other teacher always came at 0900."
"Yes, she missed the meeting."
"Well so should you."
"But at the meeting we discuss issues and -"
"Does the meeting facilitate teaching?"
"Um, yes."
"As much as actually teaching?"
"Well, no, but -"
"Then miss it."
"Look if you have an issue with the competence of the teaching, talk to the senior educator."
"The issue isn't the teachers' competence, it's their attendance. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are if you don't show up."
"Yes, fair enough."
"Less meeting, more teaching."

Later there was mention of the exam, which every other teacher had said was open book, but this one said wasn't. We said this was unfair.
"But I don't believe in open book exams. You have to learn the material, closed book is better for you."
"That may be so," I said, "but better or worse, for the past six weeks we've been told it was open book, now you say it's not. Open or closed, we have to know so we can prepare and study accordingly. You can't change partway through."
"Okay, fair enough, it'll be open book. But if you don't study you still won't pass it."

After the class, it being lunchtime and me having done the practical thing the week before, but some others doing it, I went up.
"You're assessing them this afternoon?"
"Yes."
"Okay, something which came up last week - a couple of the things we're assessed on is our mentioning a healthy diet, and fibre. We haven't actually done any nutrition in this course yet. I don't think anyone failed because of those few points so last week it didn't really matter, but it's possible it'll be an issue this week, you never know. Please go easy on them for that bit."
"I will, thanks for telling me, and fair enough."

It's a real mess. No communication between the teachers, the senior educator and teachers, the manual a muddle, and so on. I certainly won't be doing Cert IV there, it costs just as much there as at other places, I may as well pay the same and do it quicker.

Last edited:
"Does the meeting facilitate teaching?"
"Um, yes."
"As much as actually teaching?"

...lol

so looking forward to getting into my course, intro was last night.

Maybe this should be in the "venting" thread...

Combative Woman says, "Are we doing a gym session today?"
"No," says the teacher.
"Oh. I wanted to do one."
"I thought you had a gym membership?" I asked.
"No."
"Huh... you're pretty lean and strong, though, how do you do it without the gym membership?"
"I just go here."
"You should join some place near where you live."
"Naw there's only a Fernwood there, I heard it was crap."
"I have heard from women," I said, "that they feel it's a very safe environment, but not a productive one. No men around, I suppose, makes them feel safer. A pity."
"It's not 'cos there's no men around, it's 'cos there's no fukin' men like you."
"What?!"
"Saying shit about 'em being fat and stuff."
"When did I ever say that about anyone?"
"Last week when we were doin' the calipers and stuff you said, oh I bet the chicks in here will all come out really fat."
"You weren't even here last week."
"Yeah but someone told me you said that. All the chicks here are fat."
"Bullshit! I didn't. I don't say things like that about people. I mean, no-one in this class actually is fat, they might not have the physique they want, but -"
"Yeah whatever so I imagined hearing it."
"You weren't here, so yes you did."
"Naw I mean someone else imagined it."
"The someone else perhaps heard half of something else I said and misunderstood."
"Whatever, I don't care anyway."

This is the same woman who said, "Hey is it true that drinking a lot of water helps with fat loss?"
"I don't think so."
"Yeah but you see all the Hollywood celebs with water bottles all the time, and they're thin."
"I think perhaps they have the water instead of dinner."
"Oh."

If someone is simply dumb, I won't speak about them here. It's only if they're nasty that I'll mention it. Because, you know - fuk 'em.

The only thing I can think of that might have been misunderstood as what she said, was my saying something like, "These calipers are bullshit, we have measuring tape and mirror, if someone is really obese or really thin they know it, if not then they don't need to measure bodyfat, either way it doesn't matter the exact percentage and anyway these things won't give it to you."

I hate that, when people crack it with you over something you never said or did, and never would. I mean, it's not like there's nothing real to hate about me, there are lots of reasons to dislike me, lots of ways I might grate with someone. You don't have to make shit up.

Man, being made to do bicep curls, absent teachers, and people smack-talkin' me, this is a crappy week so far. I might have to have a little cry, can someone play a tiny violin for me?

Last edited:
I feel bad for Zubi I really do. I nearly vomited on my first day at the gym in front of everyone.

toadFeelsBad.jpg

I have vomited on more than one occasion, I feel it is almost a trophy to me. hehe

The mess the other day with the teaching coming late due to a meeting, this convinced me not to attend Holmesglen for Cert IV. Remember that bit about things being good, fast or cheap - but never all three?

Well, for Cert III it was cheap ($700 in all), and might have been good, but wasn't fast (5 months). But for Cert IV it'll not be cheap ($1,700 plus materials), and since it has the same teachers I don't see how it can be good. I mean most are alright, but they don't always show up. Attendance is the first part of competence.

I'd talked earlier to RMIT. They have a joint Cert III/IV course which costs about $3,600, however when I signed up for Holmesglen, the RMIT guy told me that after that if I wanted to I could do the course, only be assessed on the Cert IV parts, and pay $1,800. When I contacted them again recently the price had dropped. So this is how it weighs up,

TAFE, $1,700 + $130 materials, 5 months, teaching so-so - not cheap, not quick, not good
RMIT, $1,599 + materials (?) + public transport to city (~$100), 2 months, teaching probably good - it's RMIT - not cheap, fast, good

There are a few other places around I can go to, about $1,500 is the cheapest, though, and their teaching quality is a big unknown. The RMIT course is quite quick, and this will stand against me in employment; but I'll be able to point out that I did a lot of the material twice, and anyway it's RMIT, reputation matters.

We had some friends around for dinner the other night and one said, "but they shouldn't even ask you where you got your certificate from, they should all be as good as each-other."

"Nice theory," I said.

Last edited:
Why not do it through fitnation by correspondence. Spend the cash you save on travel to PTC to get real world experience.