• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
hey you guys are getting VERY DEEP in this thread. Scary stuff!! I'm 48 been doing weights now since October last year with help from the guys on this site and have develpoed muscle in my chest arms and shoulders. no big routines or foods.
I eat well and have protein after each workout and some times for meals.
NO DRUGS!! just sheer determination!!

My dad's 50 and can gain mass easy. He can full squat over 150kg (haven't tried more, did a few reps on 150kg), bench 120kg at 90kg bw. This is with irregular training (once every week or two, basically whenever he feels like). So yes, it is possible.

Hi all,
Just let you know that I still have ripped radial ligament and nerve damage on my left thumb. Been 4+ weeks this Friday......... Really suffering from no training. How will this damage my progress in building muscle? Remember I am 48 years young.
I tried to do some some weights, but could not on my left arm.
P.S. Hey howzit, I love your avatar :)
Steve

Hi all. Well I'm back!! I still have a stuffed thumb (radial ligament and nerve damage on left thumb& left shoulder cuff) since 31st July. I have been unable to do bugger all weights. And as you know I am 48 years and wanting to build up and be healthy. Being reasonably thin since birth, I have gained 4 kilos in the past 3 months.
My thumb and attachments are about one month from being fully useful for weights.
Look foward to getting back to it and talking to all.

Steve

I was curious about that, I believe in the US it is fairly straightforward to get HRT through 'anti ageing clinics'. A doctor from the local medical Centre offered my grandmother in law hGH, but she has Alzheimer's disease.

And to the original thread starter, diet and regular exercise is key. You have to make sure you get regular sources of protein. A good place to start for information is:

Nutrition For Bodybuilding

I think the original poster of this thread has left us. However a suggestion was made here which I find absolutely terrible, especially for someone with low testosterone levels.

I'm speaking of the recommended link to that "Nutrition For Bodybuilding" diet. I've checked it out and its writer advices a fat intake of below 10%. That is one hell of a sure fire way to insure anyone's testosterone is killed off and his immune system severely compromised.

Please do not follow such foolishness...unless you like visiting doctors!

Fadi.

Fadi,

Yes I read the 'Nutrition for bodybuilding' thread. Even I was skeptical in regards to diet etc. I try to just eat healthy foods and not try to get involved in too much 'you must eat this and only this much ' etc. Due to my age I believe just eating good foods (vegies, fruit, some red meats, chicken and heaps of fibre) is safer for me. Maintaining quantity is the hard part. Also exercise as per usual.
I find it all to complicated reading all the different opinions in relation to food diets etc. I bit of common sense is needed.
Dont get me wrong, I still listen to what is said from experienced bodybuilders/sports fanatics in regards to these main issues. Especially this website. I found it the best around. I just choose what I think sounds right and is not too difficult or 'way out'.
So any advise given is 'Gold'
Many thanks,

Giffo

I'm 100% with you Giffo. Since day one I've been saying that balance and not extremism is key. With you all the way my friend...

Fadi.

So.....is it really possible to build muscle when you're a fossil?

If I may

At 40 you're in your prime, if you'd been consistent with your manly workouts from an early age and you've been working pretty hard and safe, then by 40 you'de be a pretty lean and muscular.

The later you start the harder it will be to reach that potential I think by 25 things really start happening.

when you consider that it's muscle that moves us and the rest is just supportive by nature and that throughout the day even we are losing and gaining muscle tissue on a small level it stands to reason that we have the ability to add massive amounts of muscle through lifting at any age.

Can you build muscle over 40 years of age?
My priority as I get older would be to maintain what I've built, rather than focusing on building further. In other words, I want something to help me minimise muscle catabolism, then through training, something to help put me in an anabolic state. So the battle fought here is a battle of two fronts, you can not afford to place all your soldiers on either, but both fronts is where you'd want your presence felt. Two ingredients come to mind here due to their uniqueness in covering those two vulnerable fronts: HMB on one front for its anti-catabolic effect, and Leucine on the other front for its protein synthesis: Leucine: Your Magic Key To Bigger Muscles!