• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mass Gain Help?

hop1308

I've been trying to gain mass/muscle mass or even fat for ages now im 6ft and only about 62kg. The only problem is that i'm a vegetarian so i don't take any meats. I do eat eggs though, and i tried having raw eggs in milk and stuff. So i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how i can gain mass without roids/meat. Any suggestions would be really apprieciated. :)

Dont eat raw eggs the shell can carry harmful bacteria. Cooking them kills the bacteria.

What does your weights program look like?

have a 2-3 whey shakes per day blended with oats and flax seed oil or peanut butter that'll boost your calorie intake.

The trick is to get a good mix of protein, carbs and non-saturated fats and eat maybe 6 smaller meals per day at 3 hour or so intervals. As you don't eat meat protein is a little harder to come by but there is a still a heap of stuff out there.

Protein:
Beans, Chick peas/lentils, tofu, milk (cow or soya), cottage cheese, eggs, nuts (most kinds are great), natural peanut butter, protein powders, i'm sure there are more.

Carbs (Low GI is the key):
Brown rice, sweet potato, brocolli, wholemeal pastas and breads, bananas, nuts, honey, oats...... this list could go on for ages

Use these types of foods along with a good beginner training program containing compound exercises and you should be able to stack on some mass. Like Shrek said get some shakes into you a couple of times a day. For my breakfast shake I have blueberries, oats, natural peanut butter, honey, whey protein powder and milk.

thanks for the tip guys, i was just wondering if my workout is alright too.

I've heard people say curls aren't great n stuff but i'm not sure what else to do, so this is what i do.

wide grip bench press - 40kg - 6 times
dumbells curls - 14kg each hand - 6 times
wide grip bench press - 40kg - 8 times
dumbells curls - 14kg each hand - 8 times
wide grip bench press - 40kg - 10 times
dumbells curls - 14kg each hand - 10 times
wide grip bench press - 40kg - max i can do, about 10-12
dumbells curls - 14kg each hand - max i can do, about 10 -12 again

(I'm looking for bigger arms and chest mainly)

between all those i have about 30 seconds break. and i do this every four days.

im kinda new on working out, if theres anything i should change please let me know, thanks again. :)

thanks for the tip guys, i was just wondering if my workout is alright too.

I've heard people say curls aren't great n stuff but i'm not sure what else to do, so this is what i do.

wide grip bench press - 40kg - 6 times
dumbells curls - 14kg each hand - 6 times
wide grip bench press - 40kg - 8 times
dumbells curls - 14kg each hand - 8 times
wide grip bench press - 40kg - 10 times
dumbells curls - 14kg each hand - 10 times
wide grip bench press - 40kg - max i can do, about 10-12
dumbells curls - 14kg each hand - max i can do, about 10 -12 again

(I'm looking for bigger arms and chest mainly)

between all those i have about 30 seconds break. and i do this every four days.

im kinda new on working out, if theres anything i should change please let me know, thanks again. :)
Back exercises also target the arms as do squats. I would do compound multi joint movements like
Bench press
Squats
Deadlifts
Shoulder press's
Bicep curls
Close grip bench or skull crushers.
The tricep is 2/3rds of your arm so increase the triceps exercises to both of the ones i recomend.
Depending on how keen you are then add chinups and dips to the routine. All this realy depends on your goals, it is hard for me to imagine chest and arms and nothing else, you should aim for improvements everywhere.
Put your calorie intake into surplus while on a program with these exercises and results will come. You should aim for 6 smaller meals per day or supplement some shakes.
Hope this helps
AZZA

Curls themelves aren`t bad but they only work the biceps.As Azza said,the tricep makes up 2/3 of your upper arm.A lot of guys do tons of curls but ignore the triceps and the shoulders.A big bicep doesn`t look so big.A big
bicep with well developed shoulders and triceps looks huge.
Compounds,compounds and compounds.Try standing barbell curls for better affect.Chinups-various kinds.You tube is your best friend here.In the search bar type wide grip chin ups,close grip chin ups,underhand/overhand chin ups.
Also,you didn`t mention if you are going to a gym.What kind of equipment do you have available?It would be easier to recommend exercises if we know what you have at hand.
This guy has a few vids on you tube and his page is pretty useful if you are looking for good, no bullshit workouts.

Scoobys Home Bodybuilding Workouts

Look down the left of his page an you will see "exercises" then you can go to a variety of easy to do workouts for specific body parts.

Home Bodybuilding Chest (Pec) Workouts

You are doing bench press @40kg for 6,8,10 and 10-12 reps.Don`t get hung up on numbers - mix them up a bit.
On your fourth set you can do 10-12 till failure so I would guess you could do at least 60kg for 5-6 reps.Why not
try 5 sets,6 reps at 60 kg and see how you go.

Last edited:
sorry for the lack of info guys lol. I work out at home right now, ill join a gym early next year/end of this year. But at home i have dumbells, a bench press, a spare barbell, the peck thing the one thats on the side of the bench press bench and the leg one on the end of the bench.

I would do 60kg for about 5 or 6, but the thing is i've got no spotter so i thought ill keep to to a max of 50kg while im alone and not as big.

and can anyone explain what compound excersises are exactly? I'm not to sure about what they are.

oh and i only work out once every 4 days because i heard if u do more than that its bad, but i dunno i think i should be doing more, can anyone give me a really breif workout routine because ive got time to do it everyday but i thought i shouldn't.

thanks again guys, ur all a real help :)

Compounds are the BIG exercises that target the big muscle groups like the back,shoulders,chest etc. etc.(squats,deadlifts,bench press,standing military press and the like).
As a thin guy trying to gain weight it is almost pointless stuffing around with the little exercises.
Once every four days isn`t a lot.Are you handling that ok?Go for 3 days a week and then onto every second day.
Type something like "workout routines" into google and a million will come up.From there don`t be afraid to experiment and
find what works for you and what you like.

Last edited:
thanks, i went n googled it n i thought this 1 was right, do u all think its good? cause it said its good for hard gainers, n im kinda one lol.

muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3day-hardcore-program.html

Not a fan of that type of routine for a beginner.

Do full body workouts.
Something like this.

Monday
Squats 3 x 8-10
Barbell Row3 x 8-10
Bench press 3 x 8-10
Abs
Wednesday
Deadlift 3 x 8-10
Pull ups 3 x 8-10
Military Press 3 x8-10
Calf Raises 3 x 15
SLDL 2 x10
Friday
Squats 3 x 8-10
Row 3 x 8-10
Chest Dips 3 x 8-10
Barbell Curl 2 x 10 (optional)
Skull Crusher 2 x10 (optional)

i've been working out for a few months, im bigger than i use to be but ill give that plan a go. and with the abs thing, i think because of my lack of body fat, ive got a ripped body, u can see like a 6/8 pack and they are pretty hard, should i still do ab excersises?

Simple answer,use it or lose it.

lol guess so. ive got one last question ( sorry for askin so many )

i take about 3 raw eggs in milk before working out. How long before or after or when at all should i drink the eggs? right now i drink it about 40 min before a workout.

40 mins should be OK. I usually wait 1 hr after meal before training. I hate training on full stomach.

thank you to everyone that helped me. its reeaally apprieciated, i've got a pretty clear plan of what to do now. Ill keep updating on my progress every now n then. Thanks again everyone :)