• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How many kg deadlifts before you need to strap?

T

Timguyperson

I'm doing 93kg dead lifts now, but I think I can go higher if it wasn't for the fact it gets hard to hold onto the bar.

Should I strap my hands to the bar, or do you think I'm not really doing high enough weight to warrant that yet? Also is it dangerous to strap? And does it work?

I use straps. My grip strength is not the best so i use straps to knock out more reps being that strength is not on my high priority list, hypertrophy is.

I don't use straps personally, but if grip strength is holding you back on an important compound exercise such as dead lifts (assuming good form is maintained for the heavier weight) then I don't think straps are such a bad thing. Some people swear that you shouldn't use them, but as long as you're not relying on them to help you hold onto everything then I don't see a problem. Lift what you can without them and only use them when you need. Maybe concentrate on your grips for other exercises to try and build up some extra strength.

I have read that it's a good idea to use wrist straps only if your grip strength is holding you back, on things such as dead lifts or chinups. But I don't like this idea, because if you don't work on your grip strength your forearms will lag behind. You will also always be reliant on the wrist straps. But then again I am only at the lower end of strength. I think 80 kg is my Max dead lift.

I use straps because my tiny little girl hands hold me back. I have minature hands, do getting a good grip is hard for me. Now I can do reps at over 80kg. Before my forearms kept fatiguing and I was getting chronic overuse injuries. If they help, go for it. What's the point of being stalled at the same weight just because you have poor grip strength?

yeah I've got small forearms, they really just don't want to grow. So my grip strength isn't great. I can do 8 reps 3 sets at 93kg but I reckon I'd be able to do 100kg, though I haven't tried yet cause I don't have that many weights at home. But I'm already struggling to hold at 93kg I just know I'll drop the bar at 100kgs. I'll see how I go with it.

Also with dead lifts is it a bad idea to try weight that you can only do 2 or 3 reps with? I like to do this with bench every now and then. But I'm just wondering if that's a bit risky with an exercise concentrating on your back? (I ask cause my dad screwed his back up with dead lifts back in the day).

Also any tips for making forearms grow?

Thanks

Im at 120kg and i dont feel the need for straps. It probably depends from person to person.

120kg good work Kindred. Also breebree's 80kg is pretty nuts too, a lot more than pretty much all my mates can lift haha and they're guys.

I've been reading up on it all on other sites, and a lot of people warn against straps because it makes forearm growth fall behind a bit. They recommend chalk instead.

Anyone tried chalk? Any good?

Hey what do you know, I just went downstairs and did 8 reps at 100kg pretty easily without grip problems. I think the 100kg grip problem might have just been in my head, but then again a couple more sets might affect my grip.

lol had to tape extra weight to the bar to make up the extra kg's but it worked. I better buy some more weights tomorrow. A couple 7.5kg plates can be my present for finishing my neuroscience report tonight =D

Used chalk too. Sadly, still doesn't help my midget hands get all they way around the bar! Great for chins and ring work though. Only problem with the chalk is that I am getting calluses- sooooo not ladylike.

In terms of what you can lift, I reckon it's all about technique. My trainer is a technique nazi, which is why I can lift more than some men. Have to say it can be fun when the Saturday arvo grunting crew are in. nothing like putting a show pony in his place.

I was just thinking are you using the grip where one hand is facing forward and one back? Some people find that helps for heavier lifts.

edit: Im not big on using straps because they would have an effect of the prssure used to grip the bar and therefore would reduce the benifits to grip strength. The more you grip stuff the stronger it gets.

Last edited:
NO STRAPS if you can help it, belt yes.
You can go with a over hand grip or to improve strength try some rack pulls, set the pins in a power rack at either just below or above knee height and deadlift from there, try and emphasis the back/lats in the lift. You should be able to lift the bar and weights without pulling with your arms. Weight will be about 20 percent more with rack pulls. I do regular 120kg deads and 160kg rack pulls. Dont forget bent over rows. Regular deadlifting once weekly will add great strength and mass to your frame.
You can try a 5x5 program, or 5x3. I never go past 5 reps on work sets, only in warmup say 60kg at 12 reps, 80kgs at 8, 100kgs at 6 reps then 3 work sets.
Some good numbers being posted up here by the members.
AZZA

Last edited:
i agree with azza, dont use straps. that just masks the problem. use hook grip if your not already. and with time your grip will be stronger.

and bill starrs 5x5 program is excellent for adding strength.

Deadlifts today: 8x60kg, 6x90kg, 6x110kg, 5x115kg, 5x118kg

I'm pretty happy with that max today. Getting the numbers up a lot quicker than I thought I would. I know 118kg is still pretty light, but it's getting there. Really finding a lot of improvement in my core strength lately, just really really been hitting abs and back like crazy.

Also I haven't used anything for grip, I'm still just hanging in there. I'll do something about it when I drop the bar.

I have started wearing the old weight lifting belt I had from years ago. Really supports my back, keeps good posture. Don't want to do an injury with these dead lifts.

Oh and I also got a max of 25kg for flys today. Pretty happy with that too. And a new max of 85kg for bench. Hopefully this increase in strength will translate into more bulk soon.

Have to admit i also have drams gripping the bar, but only when doeing 100kg deads, i usually get out 5 before I feel my grip will fail, usually teh last two All I have holding it is a few fingers as my grip has come undone,vie thumb is not touching the bar, I use a front back grip. chalk does help heaps esp, if it is just a slippery issue.

At 80 kg it is too easy to hang on for a set of 10 go figure..that 20 kg makes a huge difference.

but since doing deads i have noticed a reall gain in my lats, delts, gluts and traps., but still not quite at 70kg....yet

I was deadlifting about 5-6 years ago with 100kg and on the last rep of the last set, 4x10-12, I pinched my sciatic nerve. Haven't done one since.
I should get back into them though. I always wear gloves when working out, never tried straps.

140x5, @ 70kg 16 y/o. (no brag.... ok, brag alot)

[youtube]bmMGWqCNLqU[/youtube]

I started and could only do 50kg about 1.5 years ago. i weighed about 75kg, now i weigh 90 and lift 200kg deadlights pretty easily. can do about 6 reps. Ive always needed straps though, I dont see a problem with using them. Ive needed them for anything more than 100kg. By the time I can lift 240kg I figure Ill be able to do maybe 140kg without straps. So my grips getting stronger even though Im always using straps.

My question is:

At what weight should i start strapping my knees up??? 200kg is more than double my weight and I heard from a friend he saw a guys knee blow out one time. So im curious about at what weight I should start taking precautions????