• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

liquid vs solid

Flea

I have read that your better off eating solid food eg steak over having a protein shake, which is understandable..

so it got me thinking is there any difference in drinking a raw egg over eating a cooked one?

because I start work early and itd be a lot quicker to just drink the egg over cooking it lol

No diff.

The issue here is that protein shakes are synthetically produced powders to react with water/milk etc

although you would be "drinking" the raw egg, it is a fresh solid food your body is consuming and breaking down.

Although chewing does have its advantages. A lot of nutrients and vitamins are received through the process of breaking down the compound in the teeth.

But short answer - you will be fine with the raw egg.

drink the raw egg by itself? I've tried that before, I nearly threw up but I kept it down. Don't recommend it. But give it a try and video tape it and put it up on youtube and send me the link =D

lol yer its bad as drinking a raw egg.. when Ive done it Ive mixed it with milk an Milo so you couldn't really taste it..

but i was just reading abit about it turns out raw eggs can carry selmanila cooking helps get ride of it :S

The issue here is that protein shakes are synthetically produced powders to react with water/milk etc

The unflavoured whey protein isolate that I buy is essentially just dehydrated whey protein. It is synthetic only in the way that it is filtered. It is no more synthetic than most 100% orange juice you find in the supermarket.

although you would be "drinking" the raw egg, it is a fresh solid food your body is consuming and breaking down.

Although chewing does have its advantages. A lot of nutrients and vitamins are received through the process of breaking down the compound in the teeth.

This is true, but I'd don't think applies to raw eggs. Worth looking into though, good point.

Also I remember reading the likelihood of eggs containing salmonella is astronomically small. Again, worth doing some research on (asking on bodybuilding forums is not research ;-).

My wife bought 1 kg of powdered egg white to make icing for cakes, but didn't end up using it all. I mixed it with my protein shake in the morning, and it made it taste ghastly. What am I going to do with all that powdered egg white?

Just microwave the eggs, they take like 1-2 mins to cook. Then chuck them on toast and your set.

and then just cook it the night before to save time before work. i would have thought of that well before pouring a raw egg down my throat, yuk

What am I going to do with all that powdered egg white?
Send it over this way I'll get rid of it for you.

I blend my egg white powder with a banana, plain yoghurt, some honey and oats, you won't even taste the powder.

Cooking the egg not only kills off any potential bad bacterias but it also releases more of the protein locked inside it. I dont fully understand how this actually works but Im sure one of you expert nutritionists can tell us.
However I had to guzzle back trays of raw eggs over the years as for some time I couldnt always afford good sources of protein. I was drinking up to almost a dozen a day.
I cant honestly tell you if it did anything at all. but I did notice that on many occasions I would fell giddy afterwards and would later end up with the shits if I didnt knock it back with something more solid like oat meal. I know that is pretty extreme but we were struggling real bad at the time.

I would try boiling most my eggs the night before.

I found this on another forum - I couldn't find the source though.

"The main issue with raw egg whites is a protein called avidin. Avidin binds to biotin in the body and can lead to biotin deficinecy if too much is eaten. Its best to either cook your egg whites, or do what every real man should do and eat the whole egg (as the yolk contains biotin to counter the avidin).
Theoretically cooked egg protein is easier to absorb, but its not going to have much of a real world effect.
(Pasturising also deactivates avidin)"

This site might be useful for a starting point to research further - Science of Eggs: Egg Science

BY cooking anything you denature the proteins, essentially you break down the long protein chains into simple, more easily digested amino acid groups.

Send it over this way I'll get rid of it for you.

I blend my egg white powder with a banana, plain yoghurt, some honey and oats, you won't even taste the powder.

I've will give that a go. If I still can't stomach it, if you pay for the shipping, I will shoot it over to you :)

I've will give that a go. If I still can't stomach it, if you pay for the shipping, I will shoot it over to you :)
I'm sure you will be able to stomach it, or you can go 50/50 egg white and whey so it will lessen the chalky taste even more and you are getting to types of proteins.:eek: