• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lat Pull Downs?

A

andy

My Pt just added lat pull downs into my program... though instead of kinda sitting uprightish, shes told me to kinda lean back at a 45' degree angle... i've never seen anyone else do it this way? what are your pro thoughts on it. i guess its just working different muscles?

I think you should ask her:

Why should you do it at a 45 degree angle.
What specific muscles are you trying to target.
What is the benefit.

As far as I know, you get the best lat results keeping torso totally upright and using strict form.

Leaning back at 45 degrees will put alot of strain on your lower back and you definately won't be able to do heavy weight without swinging or momentum.

The only times I've seen people lean back are when a really massive guy uses really massive weight and they use their body weight to lean back, in a big swinging/slinging motion.
It's a very loose move with a lot of cheating.
You could get injured too.

I think you should ask your PT to do a lat pulldown in the upright position as heavy as possible with strict form.
Then ask her to use the same weight leaning back at 45 degrees, see what happens...

Seems like she is trying to turn the lat pulldown into a rowing exercise.
There are plenty of safer ways to do rows.

I havent seen her since our last session so i havent had a chance to ask her, thought i'd ask here, seems a few of you are pretty serious lifters

thanks hulk! :)

I've been told by a lot of people/trainers/body builders to arch my back so you are kind of leaning back - it's hard to describe. But that is to work certain muscles in your back and it is part of a motion. Not just sitting in a 45 degree position and pulling the weights down.

If you are changing the way you face/approach the movement and keeping your body in that position then you aren't working the muscles its aimed at.

Sounds like it is ending up more like a row type action.

i think i may have just misunderstood what she was saying, anyway im sure of how im supposed to do it now thats all that matters.

would look hell gumby leaning back way far and slingshotting the weights up heh

Leaning back like that looks like it is taking a bit of the stress off the lats
which defeats the purpose a bit:confused:
I see a lot of guys doing it and it just looks wrong to me.

Your PT is a tosspot, stay upright with only a slight back lean so the bar can toch the top of your chest.

Oh sack your PT immeadiately.

yeah poopoo shes alright for an older girl.... shes competing in some competition in may in bris gonna go along for ermm... a perve haha :p