• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dumbell Bench Press help

A

andy

My PT has just changed my program and changed machine bench press? with dumb bell presses. I'm only a skinny piss weak fella, so i've got a 15kg each hand, lying on my back and doing 4 sets of 8 reps.

My wrists start hurting quite a bit when im doing these, is it normal for this to happen or am i doing something wrong. I don't see my pt till next week so thought i'd ask here for some advice

if it hurts stop.. or try lighter weights.
ensure you are using the right technique, and correct range of motion.

It sounds like you might have your wrists on an angle and not perfectly straight. Easy enough to do when you first start. I would recommend going to really light weight and getting your technique down first. This will also strengthen the stabiliser muscles in your wrists. It is a good exercise, keep at it!

the weight isnt so bad, only with my left side (unco side) I have the same problem with all my upper body lifts though, one piss weak arm/one a little stronger than piss weak arm lol.

i'll take more notice of how im holding the dbels next time, thanks for the tip!

yeah you are just distributing the weight badly by bending/tilting your wrist slightly.

Also - 15kg dumbells is not that easy. Don't be so down on yourself. Dumbell press is A LOT harder then bench. Especially when you are starting out.

There is a bloke at my gym who is massive, but only just using 10 kg dumbells now. It's ridiculous. I couldn't believe he was struggling so much, it just didn't match up.

Sometimes its just the change in movement. your wrist my get used to it, however alot of lifters do suffer with wrist problems and need to wear wrist supports.

I try to keep my elbows in and bring the weight to mid chest then up. DB press is great for getting past BB bench platues and even better as an incline to pop out your upper chest.
Dont waist your time going liter then your 15kg's, cos you want to grow. but if your getting sore go back to BB bench untill your wrist get stronger.