• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much do you pay...

If judo only cost 50c id do it now.

The cheapest place close to where i live is about $60 a month for 2 lessons a week! Thats not judo tho.

If judo only cost 50c id do it now.

The cheapest place close to where i live is about $60 a month for 2 lessons a week! Thats not judo tho.

So what's that... less than $7 buks/lesson?

That sounds very reasonable.

i remember when i was a little kid, we went on our school holidays to charleville to visit some family cousin/uncle or something. what a shithole. red dirt as far as the eye could see, and stinky bore water ewwwwww

but yeh anyway, entry to the pool was only 50c!

Its around $20 an hour to hire a hall on average (based on adds on the net).

lets say 90 students paying $60 a month for 1 and a half hours hall time per lesson.

The dojo at the end of the street has as many as 90 students that all pay the same $60 a month. I used to go there :S

4 weeks in a month = 8 lessons
8 lessons @ 1.5 hours each = 12 hours
12 x 20 (hall hire cost) = $240 hall hire a month
90 x 60 = $5400 per month
5400 - 240 (hall hire) = $5160 profit per month
Insurance is an additional cost payed by the student once a year. Ill assume they arent skimming any of that money.

$5160 profit per month!!!!!!! this is just basic lessons add gradings which can be $20 or $30 a grade cloths protective equipment etc etc etc

Some people say its a business and the instructors should get something out of it but, 90% of the instructors arent payed i.e. you go there for a few years learn shit then the instructor gets you to teach the "lower grades". Thats BS if it was a business id expect full attention why the hell should i be working for free baby sitting snot nosed kids???

Thats very elabrate and ranty but the basics are:

Business = YOU pay YOU get service YOU get taught YOU get to use their equipment like at a gym

Sport/Social thing/keeping tradition alive = pay the basic ****ing fee hall hire + insurance and thats it!!!

I hope that answers your question Hulk. That is why I think $7 a lesson is crazy. I have seen some clubs charge over $10 a lesson and not offer any equipment or insurance!!!

I just want to add i did go to a Goju club that charged $60 a month and they provided equipment weapons to use while there insurance and the classes only had 5 or 6 people in them at most! In other words i payed i got taught i didnt need to teach or baby sit and i got to use equipment etc. So i dont have a problem if they have a business and they treat me like a client but if they have a business and treat me like a zombie slave who works for free and baby sits kids! THATS CRAZY!!!

Where I go is $7 a session. But if I turn up early and do a cardio class before MMA then it's still one session. I think there's a $xxx/month deal (or there used to be) but that's only if you go more often and my leave pass doesn't allow for that.

Some nights there's only a few blokes, others there might be 8 or 10 so I guess they still have to cover the costs regardless.

I pay $60 per month. Only 2 nights a week to train, however for an adults only class that keeps you nice and sore till the next training session Im happy with that.

For cheap training though, there is a boxing cub near me at the local PCYC that only charge $4 a lesson. However Ive been told its cheap for a reason...

I pay $150 for a 1 hour session.
But that's like, full service and everything.
Sometimes I think they should be paying me, but I don't mind helping the girls out once in a while.

I do kendo and its around $250 a year. Although if you want your own bogu armor set if you've been doing it for a while, it costs >$500.

$5160 profit per month
Not quite. There's public liability and professional indemnity insurance, too. You mentioned insurance, but I'd be surprised if what the students pay covers it.

If someone breaks their leg and sues the instructor, it could cost them literally hundreds of thousands. So they get insurance. How much it costs, well like all insurance it varies a lot, but basically the cheaper the insurance the less it covers.

It's the same with personal trainers. There the premiums are typically not very high because it's generally low-risk stuff. But if your sport involves belting people in the noggin then it'd be expensive.

There are also some kickbacks in most martial arts. If your school is part of a larger school, they have to pass some money up the line. Goju Kensha Carlton would have to pass money to Goju Kensha Victoria, then to Australia and of course to Japan. Apart from the immense egos involved, this is one of the reasons some instructors invent their own school, Goju Kindred or whatever.

Providing teaching also counts as a "service" and so is subject to the GST. This means the owner has to keep receipts of everything and do a Business Activity Statement every quarter. In practice this means a couple of hours a week with paperwork, and a lot of money to accountants.

The only way to become rich in martial arts is to get into movies :D

Some clubs dont have insurance and dont pass the money up the tree. I still stand by what I said for the most part.

Insurance is expensive! Just like doctors earn a lot but they spend $$ on insurance.

Looking at trying out a martial art for fun. anyone done hapkido?