• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training regime for big gains?

S

simon8783

Newbie here. Been off and on to the gym last 4 years but want to get serious now. Been going full on for about a month now and need some advice re excercise, people here seem a lot more straight forward than the endless info on the net.

Going to the gym every second or third day. Here's my current regime, it rotates between two "patterns". All excercises are 3 sets of 6 reps.

First day will be chest, shoulders, triceps and quads. Usually do a bench press, then shoulder press, then leg press (to give shoulders/chest a rest for a bit - is this even right?). Then do chest flys machine, lateral shoulder raise, leg raise machine (for break again), then another 3 sets bench press.

After 2-3 day break will do biceps/back/calves. I do chin ups, calve raises, bicep dumbell curls, seated row, calves again, bicep barbell curls, lat pull down machine.

So basically its 3 excercises per muscle per session (involving 3 sets therefore 9 sets per muscle in total). Just wondering if i'm excercising single muscles too much for one session? ie should i excercise shoulders each time i visit or should i only do it for that one session? And is that many sets too much/too little?

I think the first thing people will say is where are the deadlifts and where are the squats?

Also sounds like a lot of muscles hit in each session. After so many exercises are you still able to have the energy to hit everything as hard and intense as you need to? How long does it take you? I split what you do into about 4 days, twice as much as you, and it takes me a good solid hour each workout.

I do:

chest and triceps
(4 sets of 6-8 reps of: flat bench flys, incline flys, flat bench press, incline bench press, close grip bench press, behind my head dumbell lifty thingo for triceps, dips, push ups)

rest day (abs)

Back and biceps and forearms
(4 sets of 6-8 reps of: deadlifts, pull ups, bent over rows, bi-cep curl, palm out bi-cep curl for forearms, forearm curls)

rest day (abs)

Shoulders
(4 sets of 6-8 reps of: military press, straight arm bar raise thingo infront for delts, shrugs, bent over backward fly thingos)

rest day (abs)

legs
(4 sets of 8-12 reps of:calf raises, squats)

Also I wouldn't do half a chest workout, then do shoulders, and then back to chest. I'd do chest all in one go. When I workout chest I hit it fkn hard next to no breaks, really heavy weights, flys, bench, push ups, all after one another. What's the point of getting your muslce to the point of actually tearing so it will get bigger, but then stopping so it can rest and then you are back to square one again???

I don't know people might disagree.

Also if you are serious about getting big gains, then I hope you've got your diet right. You can do everything right in the gym, and nothing will happen unless you are eating right. What is your current weight, bf%, height, age, and what gains have you gotten from working out so far?

Yeah i think i've got my diet ok - about 6 foot 2 tall, 86kgs, usually get in around 130-190 grams protein, same or more of carbs every day.

I see what you mean about doing each muscle without too much break - will give that a go. Might try doing less muscles in the one session too then, and concentrating more on the ones i do.

About the squats and deadlifts - i do leg press on one of those machines where you kind of sit on the ground and push the weight up - assuming that's sort of the same? Not sure about the deadlifts - is that for legs or what? Just not that confident with picking up a huge barbell when i don't really know what i'm doing - i feel like i might hurt my back or something cos i don't really know the technique. Thanks

The Original Starting Strength Novice Program

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power cleans

This program involves no cardio but lots of warm up sets. A popular alteration to this program is to substitute Power Cleans with Bent-over Rows. But in doing that it is no longer The Original Starting Strength Novice Program but a program based on it.

I just started it myself. I didnt really want to say anything about it until I did it for a few months but as someone else suggested it may as well provide further detail.

EDIT: I re-read something the guy that developed the program wrote. You can do a warm up with cardio for 5-10 mins. An example might be 5 mins on a stationary bike or 10mins heavy bag work or what ever.

Last edited: