• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Smoking & Drinking ?

I dont drink but unfortunately i have a bad habit: smoking
b4 any1 tells me how dumb smoking is or that i should stop i was wondering if any1 else smokes and how it effects their training

i found a interesting article which makes me want to quit even more. It covers the effects of alcohol and smoking on bodybuilding

I used to smoke and it did affect my trainning i felt i wasnt pumping as much and when i decided to lose my 45kg i decided to quit smoking too , and its so much better when your trainning too .

I dont drink either.

depends how much you smoke its the same as drinking 2-3 beers every nownthen wont hurt, if ur a pack a day smoker then id say yes it will affect you but if its 2-3 a day i cant see that doing much

Stop smoking and drinking and replace it with chronic masturbation. that why you will get big forearms. win-win. (remember to alternate arms)

No alcohol, no cigarettes. Green cigarettes tend to kill a workout pretty quick though I hear.

I still think drinking gives you power.
No, drinking gives you power. It numbs your inabitions and makes the weight you were struggling with look like a turd in a bucket.
I used to smoke weed and lift becos it did the same thing, until I relised I may as well smoke 10 cegerettes just before my work out.
What alcahole does is retards growth, and makes your muscles small.
Smoking ciggi's thickens the blood and makes it hard for any real growth or recovery becos of that.

However I did have a very muscly mate who would drink a beer half an hour before a work out becos it gave him a great carbo energy rush.

Last edited:
I've been trying to lay off the drink to be a bit healthier and because I can be a dick when I have too many (which i quite often do after I have 1). The last thing I read about drinking was that it reduces your testosterone levels and increases estrogen levels. Lower testosterone is bad (or people wouldn't use steroids etc), and higher estrogen can cause a man to grow actual breast tissue (not just have fat man boobs) which I believe is how men are able to get breast cancer.

Not getting breast cancer seems like a good motivator for me not to drink...

lol ye i smoke a pack a day easy i dont smoke 2-3 hours afta a work out tho. i quit drinking recently partly bcoz of religious obligations and partly becuase of gym.

i can honestly say it affects ur workout hard, well for me anyway. the worst is on back day such as lat pulldowns- that really leaves u out of breath

i know some smokers that say they're arnt affected as much i just wanted to c if every1 is actually affected

thanks boys

No, drinking gives you power. It numbs your inabitions and makes the weight you were struggling with look like a turd in a bucket.
I used to smoke weed and lift becos it did the same thing, until I relised I may as well smoke 10 cegerettes just before my work out.
What alcahole does is retards growth, and makes your muscles small.
Smoking ciggi's thickens the blood and makes it hard for any real growth or recovery becos of that.

However I did have a very muscly mate who would drink a beer half an hour before a work out becos it gave him a great carbo energy rush.

i rememba in highskool i once went gym stoned that was one ****ed up session all i rememba is walking in and getting changed LMAO:D

lol how can you work out stoned? All I want to do is sit infront of the t.v after a joint.

i dunno it was during when i was in highskool probably 2nd or 3rd time i ever did it cudnt go home stoned so i went gym to kill time :p

Yeah we used to punch cones before everything in highschool.

Before gym, surf, footy training and games.

But it does take a hold sooner or later and you cant keep that up.

I don't think I've been near the stuff since highschool.

I broke my ankle August last year and with the down time, nothing really to do i started smoking again, after quitting for a year and a half.

I quit last week and feeling so much better. I found it hard cause my friend that i hang out with alot smokes. Makes it that much harder to quit.

The benefit's of not smoking was noticed in the first week, being able to do more HIT in the gym without nearly collapsing and gasping for breath. As everyone here as my witness, i will never smoke again! (maybe a cigar at xmas) lol