• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to Get Bruce Lee Like Strength Without Ever Going to a Gym

jon

Bruce Lee was a paragon of cool and an icon of the ultimate bad-ass. Not only were his martial arts skills incredible, but he had such an impressive physique that even bodybuilders in the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger admired him.
What’s more impressive is that Bruce trained his body without ever stepping into a gym and with very little use of weights or machines.
Here are just a few of Lee’s physical feats:

• Performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index finger.
  • Could hold an elevated v-sit position for 30 minutes or longer.
  • Could throw grains of rice up into the air and then catch them in mid-flight using chopsticks.
  • Could break wooden boards 6 inches (15 cm) thick.
  • Performed 50 reps of one-arm chin-ups.
While you may not get to Bruce Lee’s level overnight, you can start getting in shape without the use of a lot of fancy (and expensive) equipment. You can do it from the comfort of your own home, in a space as large as a bathroom.
Part of the reason I started training without a gym was because I began training in Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee’s method of martial arts). But I also got tired of paying monthly gym dues. At the time, I was looking for things I could cut out of my monthly budget to save a little extra money.
I thought about getting rid of my gym membership altogether, but I didn’t want to sacrifice my health or physical fitness. So I found another way. For months, I haven’t had a gym membership, yet I’m getting stronger and faster than I’ve ever been in my life.
You don’t have to buy lots of weights or machines, either. The most expensive equipment you’ll need (a simple doorway pull-up bar) will cost no more than $35.00.
Bruce Lee was a big proponent of holistic or total fitness.His workouts included strength, speed, endurance, and flexibility training.
Here’s just a few of the ways you can start getting stronger, faster and more toned without ever stepping into a gym:

1. Calisthenics. There are so many different bodyweight exercises out there, but we’ll start with the basics. For the lower body: lunges and squats are a good start. For upper body: pull-ups, push-ups, and shoulder press ups. For your core: crunches, chops, and reverse crunches will get you going. What’s great about bodyweight exercises is that they build functional strength. They’re natural movements you would use in real life situations like sports, self-defense, gardening, or doing chores. Plus when you do bodyweight exercises, you force your body to use more supporting and balancing muscles than you would on machines. For more bodyweight exercises check out these great resources: The Ultimate Guide to Bodyweight Training: 100 Killer Resources and for an awesome list of bodyweight exercises with illustrations check out Combat Fitness. Bonus: Top 10 Best Bodyweight Exercises for Advanced and Beginners.
  2. Isometric exercises. These are basic bodyweight exercises, but where you hold your body in a static position. Examples of these are the frog sit, v-sit, horse stance, hanging from a pull-up bar, and the plank. Calisthenic exercises will improve muscle strength over a range of motion, but isometric exercises are great for joint and stabilizing strength.
  3. Range of motion and flexibility. The best exercise I’ve found for range of motion and flexibility is yoga. The best thing about yoga is that no equipment is required and you can find tons of free resources online for yoga routines. Check out Anmol Mehta’s Yoga Illustrations to get you started.
  4. Balance. Balance is the ability to keep your equilibrium when your center of gravity is thrown off-balance. There are many ways you can practice balance every day (we won’t get into tight rope walking here). When you’re putting on your shoes or getting dressed, do it on one foot. Walk on the curb and try to walk in a straight line without stumbling. Or if you’re really ambitious, there’s always pogo sticking and unicycling.
  5. Dynamic exercise. Dynamic exercise is anything where you’re not performing routine after routine. Things are in flux and constantly changing. You’re moving in more natural movements, rather than continuous repetition of fixed patterns. I recently started doing Jeet Kune Do in the park every weekend. It’s a great way to get a good work out and learn self defense. Not to mention, practicing martial arts tends to make you inspired to further pursue and achieve higher levels of physical fitness. If you’re not into martial arts, you can always pick up a sport like tennis, handball, basketball, or take dance classes. Do whatever you’re naturally drawn to. Or if you struggle with seeing fitness as an enjoyable activity, you might consider getting a Wii Fit.
There’s a lot of other opportunities for exercise that don’t include a gym that I haven’t listed here. Hiking, jogging, skiing, yardwork… The list could go on. Just use your imagination. Make it fun and change it up. That’s the great thing about exercising without a gym, there’s so much to choose from.
On a side note, I will, however, say that for me, it took a lot more discipline to work out from home. It was easy for me to just go to the gym. Once I’m there, there’s not a lot else I can do other than work out. But at home, there’s always distraction, always other things you can do besides working out (like laying on the couch or surfing the internet). For me, practicing martial arts inspires me to be physically fit. While you might not have this problem, I thought it only fair to be upfront about this issue.
The other motivator for me to work out from home — besides saving money — was the variety of workouts. There’s just so many more options with bodyweight exercises than machines. You can always do something to further challenge yourself. If push-ups are a breeze, you can try doing them on your fingers or in a close grip (with a medicine ball). If pull-ups become too easy, train for a one arm pull-up (insanely difficult).
Attaining Bruce Lee like fitness isn’t just about doing the types workouts he did and eating the same diet. What made Bruce so great was his natural curiosity and drive to constantly explore and learn more about fitness and personal growth. (His personal library contained over 2,000 books!)
Tap into your own curiosity and make fitness enjoyable. Challenge yourself to new levels of fitness. Go beyond what you think you can do.

How to Get Bruce Lee Like Strength Without Ever Going to a Gym | Zen Habits

Well exercise your right to "freedom of speech" and state why you don't like the article instead of just saying "What ever".

Last edited:
I think he was referring to this:

"That would be a great article if it weren't full of shit. Bruce Lee was a huge proponent of weights, early on he did classic bodybuilder workouts and later graduated to more functional, full body training."

"Bruce Lee did weight training with compound Olympic style exercises."

"Uh, Bruce did in fact lift weights. In fact, in one of my books on him, there's a photo of one of his routines he was doing in Hong Kong."

040714_brucelee.jpg

"Uh, it helps add credibility to your article when you use actual facts. Bruce Lee revolutionized martial arts training by focusing a large amount of time on weight training. Traditional training focused on sparring, shadowboxing, and katas/stances while Bruce Lee shifted much emphasis to weight training that built lean body mass supplementing the martial artist. This ended up changing the way martial artists and MMA fighters train forever."

"If you knew anything about Bruce Lee, he was the biggest advocate for weight training. He would lift every day, as well as do non-weighted exercises just as much.

And he couldn't do 50 one armed chins either(Mostly because the chin up king, could only do 18 or 19). They are simply making up statistics. He could have done one armed chins with his other hand around his wrist, but that is the same as a 2 armed chin up if you have enough grip strength.

You cannot get a body like Bruce Lee unless you mimic weighted exercises in your own home. And if your doing that, you might as well just get a gym membership, because you'll only get a worse workout at home."

In other words, the article is a total bunch of shit.

Also Bruce did Wing Chun Kung Fu, not Jeet Kun Do. Jeet was just something he taught to make money.

Honestly though imagine if Bruce Lee had the body of Brock Lesnar. That would be some crazy shit right there.

I never even read he artice, all i said was
Lee was definately a strong man with lightning speed.

RIP.
Indeed the article may be full of shit at least you have backed up your statement instead of just saying "Whatever".

Now I've seen all of his movies and I love the bloke (no homo) and even have a flick book. :)

Last edited:
what ever way you look at it ol brucey was a fkn weapon an im yet to see anyone one come close to his skill/abilitys/physique... all in one...

I never knew him, cant say he was a as good as everyone says. People worship him like a god based on what they have read and seen in the movies. As far as what ive read its a load of crap that bad mouths other people and other martial arts/sports. People are just people and sports are jus sports there is no better sport and there are no better people.

happy Shrek?

I never knew him, cant say he was a as good as everyone says. People worship him like a god based on what they have read and seen in the movies. As far as what ive read its a load of crap that bad mouths other people and other martial arts/sports. People are just people and sports are jus sports there is no better sport and there are no better people.

happy Shrek?

I see where you coming from.. I haven't been a member on this site for long but from what Ive read and seen, you seem to whine quite abit.. but then again I don't know you...

I see where you coming from.. I haven't been a member on this site for long but from what Ive read and seen, you seem to whine quite abit.. but then again I don't know you...

Hahahahaha, it's funny because it's true.

happy Shrek?
None of us knew him, but have seen a few docos and watched all of his movies numerous times and let me tell you he acheived more in his 30 odd years than 50 men can acheived if they lived untill 100.

ROFL. :D