• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hi, time to fix things...

trofius

Hi all My name is Mick, and have been doing weights for a few years on and off. I would love to get into it a bit more seriously, not to compete as such, but just to get to a decent build...

I am probably typical train too much upstairs than down., but I have had a lower back issue to deal with and as such do very little legs, but slowly increasing it. I used to do deadlifts and squats, leg press etc.. But if i over use my lower back it spasms around a few nerves and can walk or sit up.

Anyways I am a massive 65kg, and 175cm
Currently eating habbits sux because of shift work, and if i do try to eat heaps I start to get a bit of a gut going. I use a protein shake daily to top up, and milo every night, sleeping is also about 5-6 hours a night.

My routine at the moment and typical weights are as follows, I rest between days. usually m,w,f,, but some weeks i start tue

Day one: chest, biceps
Bench: stretch, warmup 60x12, 80x10, 90x5/6, 100x3/4 just keep pushing, after 100's i drop back to 60 and do slow pause at bottom (2-3secs) lifts, for 6 reps.

incline dumbell press, 22x10,25x10,30x8
alt weeks pec dec/decline smith/cable x overs

I do dumbell alt arms curls between each set of bench, 12.5x10, 15x10 , 15x10.
cant do curl bar as it pops my wrist at that angle, so do barbel curls 40kg 3 sets as many as i can.
I use nautalis curl machine 1 set as maybe 36-42 on the plates.

Day 2:
Back: triceps
extensions, bw, then 2x +10kg
alt sets of ( same machine)8-10 plates
seated pully rows (elbows up)
seated lateral rows (elbows down)

lat pulldowns, wide grip 10,12,14 plates
pulldowns close grip 8,10,12 plates

dips bw x15, bw+20kg x 10, bw +20kg as many as possible usually 8+
close grip bench, 30x10, 40x10, 60x5-fail
lying tricept extensions,or kickbacks 3 set until failure.
maybe do nautalise tricept extensions 1 set heavy util fail ~ 7 reps

day 3:
abs, legs shoulders.

twisting 2 sets of 20 reps, on nautilise machine
crunches on machine 2 sets of 20 or failure
leg raises, 2 sets of 20

leg extensions 5 plates 3 sets
seated leg curls 7 plates, 3 sets
seated leg press 10-13plates, 3 sets
calf raises 12-15plates 3 sets

seated machine shoulder press, 3 sets of 10-fail, 8,10,12 plates
seated dumbel press, 20x10, 20x10,22.5x8-failure
front dumbel raises, 2 x 12.5x10, 1x 15x8-failure
lying (on gut ) dumbel flys, 3 sets, 6,7,8kg

if I get go to gym on rest days its to use treadmill or do yoga etc as class times and work permits.

Now please tear me apart, what needs to change, I am gaining weight again, all but slowly, maybe 3kg since christmas since doing the new as above routine, (was 62kg before christmas, after nearly 2 months of speratic workouts) legs, back, shoulders, chest abs, still improving weight wise, slightly size wise, arms just cant keep up..I notice some days i am flat as and others i seem to have bulk energy, and usually push really hard, and achieve new goals, (100x5reps bench last week was very cool)

Anyways sorry for the crazy long post, I will keep hunting around the site for ideas.

Mick

When you do most chest exercises you use triceps and deltoids so why not have a chest/tri/deltoid day instead and leave biceps to back days when you will use them as a secondary muscle.

I have to say tho you are insanely strong 65kg body that can lift 100kg!!! Wish i could lift 35kg heavier than my body weight.

Last edited:
I used to do a chest, tri ant delt day and then a back, bi, and post delt day. but found that I was really fatigued and week once i had targeted the dominant muscles, ie chest and back, and once i got to arms i was really struggling to get out decent weight or reps, by 6 i was dead.. I am not sure ,is this still a good way to go, even though i am only doing smaller weight and reps, will I still get the same benefit? When i changed to my current routine i found i was able to concentrate and achieve more (reps, weight) on the smaller muscle groups. not sure if that means its going to be better or not. why I am here i guess. mIght try going back next month, and see how it goes.

As for the 100kg and being 65Kg my best bench to date was a 110kg single press, a few years ago.. resisting to go any heavier at the moment until i can get a set of 6 out for a few weeks. and would like to get some better technique currently arching my back a bit too much still, esp. when I get to last reps. Hmm most of that 65 kg is porbably up top..lol

Edit: I am 66.7kg this morning after breakfast..

I should also note most of my prefered techniques are pushing ones as if I load up my left wrist too much it can pop, pullups, lat pulldowns, curls etc. somtimes, (hammer curls are ok.) not a constant thing..

cheers Mick

Hi Mick.
Since you weigh so little and mass is your goal why waste valuable energy doing these pissy isloation exersices like tricep kickbacks and machine cursl?
Train 3 days per week utilising the big compound exersices for the next 3-4 or even 6 months, This will pack on the size and then you can go to a more bodypart specific routine.

Trys omething like this
Monday:
Squat x 5
Bench x 5
Barbell Row x 5
Abs
Hypers x 2

Wednesday
Squat x 5
Miltary Press x 3
Deadlift x 5
Pull up or pull down x 3

Friday
Squat x 5
Bench x 5
Row x 5
Dip x 2
Barbell Curl x 2

Don't go higher than 8 reps or lower than 3.
Throw some calves in the mix at least once per week.
Go for it.

8925..i guess sarcasm is lost in here..! or just on teenagers, I am 34...

Shrek, as i mentioned i have a dodgy lower back, and as such am reluctant to get into squats, deadlifts, or other unsupported verticle pressing, if I did I could only go light weights at first anyways and do bigger sets..Its not a slipped disk or similar but rather when the muscles get fatigued they spasm which cause pain to the extent i cant sit up, get out of bed, or off the floor etc,

I guess i was doing the isolation type exercises to target that muscle, until it could go now more, I thought that was the best way to make it adapt?

I am trying to get my back used to weights again, but it wont be a quick fix, slowly incresing the weights and stretching the area, same applies with legs, it effects my hamstring stretch etc, cant get anywere near 90deg yet at hips, painful.

Doing Squats and deadlifts was a goal for maybe june/july to start back into..i truely appreciate the benefits of these exercises, and as soon as i can i will get back into them...Just a tad reluctant to jump in yet and stuff my back further..

Ok, substitue the squats for leg press and substitue deads for good mornings or something similar until your confident with your lower back.

shrek you are an evil bastard, lol cant wait till next week...

Well I missed yesterday and went today, treid to do a few new things:

I started with back hyperextensions, and a stretch to my back and legs.
did a 40kg x 10 dead lift to see how thing would go...ok
jumped up to do 60kg x12, dead lift, and a 20kg x10 squat
and then 60 x 10 dead, and 40 x10 squat

draged myself up to the other end of the gym and did
calf raises, 8 plates x12, 10 plates x 15
leg extensions, 6 plates x 10, 7p x 12
extensions 8p x 12, 10p x 10
oblique twists, 2 sers each side
crunches 2 sets

now I can barly feel my legs, or walk, lucky I have a day of sitting around, ( we have antenatal classes for 6 hours)

by Sunday afternoon I should be able to tel if it was a bad idea to give it a go, I no its not that heavy..but its a start.

shrek you are an evil bastard,
And don't you forget that..
evilgrin0025.gif

Good to see you gave the squats and deads a go.. ;)

its 8 hours later, and my quads are still half numb.. They are really not used to this type of work out yet..Might get on the bike a few times as a warm up early next week, before hitting them again on friday, and daily stretches..

I think last time I only got up to 100kg deads and 80kg squats, but wasnt really going that hard at them and i wasn't regular.

So after reading a few of your large posts, I have a few questons usually when i train i do a certain number of reps as a warm up set, and then get heavier, when I can get to 10 reps at that weight i move on to a second set at a heavier weight, and so on, so I get my 3-4 sets..
Ie with bench I have a stretch with just the bar, then pump out 10-15 at 60kg as a warm up set.
then a set of 10 at 80kg, now that I can do 10 @ 80 , i have moved up to 90kgs as the next set, my goal for this was 5 reps,( currently getting 7-8) at which point i then added a 100kg bench, ( currently can only get 4 without a spot) once this gets to 5 for a few weeks I will got to 105kg..

I allways stop at 10 reps, and only do 4 sets, so when i get to 105's i will probably drop the 60kg warm up and go to sets of 70kg first, so 70, 90, 100, 105

Is this a good way of doing it?

I dont think i will ever be able to do more than 70 as a first set, as its just too much of a shock to go heavier for my small frame, feels like my arms are gunna break off, but if i gradually build up its fine..

I try and do a similar thing with other exercises, once i get to a threashold i jump up a weight and delete the lowest weight.

Does this fit with what you recomend?