• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is it worth adding additional sets when you have reached your max reps?

kindred

For example with my bench press i can get 5x5x4 would i benifit to keep adding sets so it looked more like 5x5x4x3x2x2x1 or something until totally buggard. Or is there a point where it really makes no difference. I want to increase my bench press to 10x10x10 but i dont really know how far i should go before im just wasteing my time.

Get a spotter to help you do some forced reaps and/or negative reps. That'll build more muscle then extra sets for barely any reps.

Are you referring to drop sets? Myself and a friend of mine have both gotten very good results with drop sets. For example: start with a warmup weight (usually 20% off my previous max) then do my previous max, try and beat my max, then I drop back to my warmup weight. All of which I do to failure (except the warmup).

For example with my bench press i can get 5x5x4 would i benifit to keep adding sets so it looked more like 5x5x4x3x2x2x1 or something until totally buggard. Or is there a point where it really makes no difference. I want to increase my bench press to 10x10x10 but i dont really know how far i should go before im just wasteing my time.

Sometimes when doing bench, ill get to the last set, rep until failure then put the bar on the rack for a few seconds and go again. I repeat it 2 more times. It gives u a massive pump. At the end, u can only get one rep up.

I wasnt refering to drop sets but that is what I have been doing without even knowing it.

Ill give it a go and see if it helps me out.

Just to claify my post, i wasnt refferring to drop sets either. I dont drop the weight, i just have a slight rest and then pump out again and again.

Simple, just add more weight.
Remember, progressive resistance.

I cant add more weight. I can push out more sets and reps but for some reason just cant add weight. I think its cause im a bit nuts. The mind body connections off if you know what i mean.

Kindred, why you gotta make things so complicated ???

Just train straight sets and when you get stronger, increase the weights.
Do what Shrek said, progressive resistance.

How you gonna track your progress when you start using advanced techniques you don't need?

I't does not seem like you have been able to stick to a set routine for more than 1 week, based on your training diary.

Kindred, why you gotta make things so complicated ???

Just train straight sets and when you get stronger, increase the weights.
Do what Shrek said, progressive resistance.

How you gonna track your progress when you start using advanced techniques you don't need?

I't does not seem like you have been able to stick to a set routine for more than 1 week, based on your training diary.

Its easy to track...

Open a spreadsheet plug in all my exercise records as a total weight, for example...

Bench press 40kg 10 - 10 - 10 = 1200kg total

create a graph if you want or just look at totals example

Bench press
1/2/2009 - 1200kg
3/2/2009 - 1200kg
5/2/2009 - 1400kg

I will put another example in of what i have recored via my diary when i get time.

Bench press sample

16/10/2008
20/10/2008
27/10/2008
30/10/2008
2/11/2008
4/11/2008
6/11/2008
8/11/2008
10/11/2008
12/11/2008
14/11/2008
23/11/2008
29/11/2008
27/01/2009
3/02/2009

If i could be bothered with more dates it would be a better indication of how i was going. Its a pitty you cant display tables in thes forums it would be much easier :(

Im currently at 3320kg total for my bench press. Not as much as most of you guys but you gotta start somewhere!

Last edited:
I don't understand how amount of total mass moved = and effective muscle making workout.

It does not allow for intensity.

"Everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but no one wants to lift some heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman

I find drop sets work the best because it means I can squeeze every last ounce of energy out of my muscles. Although I don't have long term experience in order to give cross comparison with your standard progressive resistance training.

"Everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but no one wants to lift some heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman

I find drop sets work the best because it means I can squeeze every last ounce of energy out of my muscles. Although I don't have long term experience in order to give cross comparison with your standard progressive resistance training.

Mr Coleman is a very big guy. His stomach seems really distended now tho not sure how that works. If anyone has seen a pick of him do you think its fat or what? I can see his abdominal muscles and i didnt think fat grew under the muscles! I have no idea whats going on there. I also see other huge body builders with the same thing going on.