• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What's you choice of cardio?

and rowing doesn't count as cardio?

If you want a bag routine you can look for Bas Rutten's boxing/thai/MMA workouts (audio). He just calls out numbers or a punch combo for 2 or 3 minute rounds. Each number represents a combo:

1 - Left Jab
2 - Left Jab, Right Straight
3 - Left Jab, Right Straight, Left Hook
4 - Left Jab, Right Straight, Left Hook, Right Straight

Swap sides if you're left handed. I found them online years ago but I'm not sure if I still have them. The boxing tracks are just punches, Thai tracks have knees and the MMA tracks have sprawling I think.

Cycling - outdoors
Spinner class
Stationary bike - sweat like a sponge
Elliptical - great for doing cardio with mp3 player

skipping rope is awesome for your fitness not to mention coordination and foot work, but the best has got to be running i recently downloaded the beep test so im gonna start doin that when it gets a bit warmer juts gotta find a good spot... of you just wanna burn fat without shredding you hard earned muscle do a slow walk on a good hill, or if your in the gym jump on the treadmill and do 7km at a nice incline to get your heart rate going so you just burn fat....any pt will tell you this...

Cardio for its own sake bores me. I do a couple of runs a week, but mostly it's just when I need to get from A to B, under 5km I walk quickly, 5-15km I cycle.

Cardio for its own sake bores me. I do a couple of runs a week, but mostly it's just when I need to get from A to B, under 5km I walk quickly, 5-15km I cycle.

Me too.I love to ride places and breathe the air and check out the scenery.
i just did 45 mins each way to a job and feel great now.

i'm dont really have that motivation to do cardio. i used to do it 3 times a week while working up north (WA) but that was purely because i had nothing to do between 5pm and 7pm.

i need to get back into cardio, i dont really like running on the treadmill as i feel really unco :p

i prefer running/cycling outdoors, when i was at my fitness peak me and a mate used to jog around the south perth forshore, which is 10km's. but we had alterior motives as there were these chicks that used to do the same thing as us and after training we'd have a chat and stuff. haha so lame when looking back on it because neither of us had the balls to ask them out :D

Aside from Snout, not one poster has explained WHY they do cardio. It would make selecting one to suit your goals so much easier from the different type of cardio.

Steady state, interval or strength endurance. All serve a different purpose.

I make all my clients do it, I even devoted an entire newsletter to it. Its as misunderstood as weight training.

Snouts is sports specific and ideal for his goals, because I dont know what everyone elses goals are, it makes their choices confusing.

Except you Dave...like you have a choice lol

I forgot to add, the MMA fighters in my gym all do strength endurance, similar to Randy and Icemans training. Muscular endurance is critical to an MMA fighter.

I see Kyle, still would mean I dont have to go back and forth from journals to here everytime someone posts.

Rambo...that is simply awesome, nice work.

Sure, but then if we repeated everything we put in our journals someone would accuse us of being boring and repetitive :)

I have a few aims with my cardio work. One is simply to be better at steady-state endurance activities. This is so that I can save money and help the environment by walking, running or cycling instead of driving. It's also so I can just for pure ego get similar run times to what I got in my 20s.

I also want to have better endurance for interval training, as I've found this helps a lot with doing intense weight training. Doing sprints and cruises on the bike, and sprints and walks while out on foot, this has made me recover more quickly and thoroughly between sets. So I can do more sets in the same time, really blast my muscles.

With greater overall endurance I feel more energetic and am sick much less often. Supposedly this helps us live longer, but I'm less worried about how long I live and more about how well I live. I'd rather be energetic and lively and fall over at 65 than diabetic and can't get off the couch at 55 and in a nursing home until I'm 95 and finally fall off the twig.

Lastly, because of my chosen profession, I have to "look the part" as they say. Of course just because you don't follow something yourself doesn't mean you don't know how it's done - footy coaches are not the best players on their team, after all.

But clients are often looking for excuses for their laziness and failure, if the trainer is unfit, weak or fat, the clients will say, "see? see?! They can't do it, how can I?" If I am fit and strong then they have to come up with other excuses instead.

If your only going to train people weaker than you, youre going to drasticly reduce your chances of finding any clients lol

You know I'm joking, but youre correct. Most will ignore the content and just look at the trainer, so wrong, but thats what happens.

Everytime some f u c k w i t asks me about core strength, explaining how crucial direct ab work is and how much they do,I have them try a superman pushup. When they fail, and they always do, they always ask me to do one as they dont believe its possible.

I then explain I havent done a sit up since the 80's.

If your only going to train people weaker than you, youre going to drasticly reduce your chances of finding any clients lol
I might not find them at PTC, but there are plenty at most gyms I've been to. And yes, that is very bloody sad. Far as I know, in my gym there are only three or four guys who bench more than me, squats and deadlifts I'm sure lots of people could easily beat me, but the fact is that they just don't do them.

Anyway by the time I finish the courses I'll be stronger!

You know I'm joking, but youre correct. Most will ignore the content and just look at the trainer, so wrong, but thats what happens.
Yep. As I said, they're looking for excuses. That's the difference between a footy trainer and a physical trainer. The footballer genuinely wants to improve, the average physical training client is looking for excuses to fail. So I have to buff up to give them one less excuse, if they won't work their legs they can at least work their imagination.

Of course I would do it anyway, but that's just an extra reason.

Everytime some f u c k w i t asks me about core strength, explaining how crucial direct ab work is and how much they do,I have them try a superman pushup. When they fail, and they always do, they always ask me to do one as they dont believe its possible.

I then explain I havent done a sit up since the 80's.
Those are damned hard. For those who don't know, they're a pushup with your arms stretched up. Nobody will be able to do them first time. I am told that the way you work up to them is to do regular pushups, then move your hands one palm's length forward. When you can do 20 or so in that new position, move the hand forward again. And so on.

That's the theory I've been told, anyway. Sound good, Markos?

I'm just relying on my squats and so on, I can't be bothered with a zillion different exercises.

Kettlebell swings are amazing. At the moment I am building up my volume. The SSST test is a real test of endurance, where you do 10 minutes of snatches with a kettlebell. This is incredible cardio. I am trying to find a field to do some sprinting on. Sprinting is the best form of running as continuously pounding the pavements can be detrimental to the health. Sleeds look interesting as well.

My use and promotion of Kettlebells has caused Australian Kettlebell Company to come on board as a sponsor of my gym, PTC.

I absolutely love them, glad you do a well.