• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

kindred

Does doing a military press or seated press behind the head hit the same muscles as infront? I know someone asked this before but i dont know if anyone responded. Also should i do one press behind and one press infront or just stick to infront or behind. If anyone knows the answer let me know.

I stick to front presses or dumbells. I do not like the way my shoulders and rotator cuff feel going behind the neck, having said that some guys love it and do them all the time. I think it boils down to personal preference.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I read somewhere that it's not good for your joints and can damage your snipe (near the neck) if done with heavy weights.

Come on boys, who knows/ who's got the answers?

steven?

That was 2009, what have we learnt?

Last edited:
You should remember to use the depth guide on your drill to get perfect depth counter sunk holes every time when finish is important.

Military press behind headand infront does it work same muscles?
They both more or less work the same muscles, with the military press engaging the chest muscles as well, and the behind the neck press being an available tool in the box of an Olympic weightlifter (but not the bodybuilder). Why is that? Simply put, because it's sport specific.

kim-un-guk-153_lg[1].jpg

In weightlifting, when I receive the bar after snatching it, you'd notice that its position is above my head in addition to being behind it. Of course, the behind the neck press is not the only exercise a weightlifter performs whilst the bar is in a posterior position to the neck. We press behind the neck, but we also jerk, power jerk, and do snatch balances all behind the neck. So I think I've made it clear now as to why I made that earlier distinction between the weightlifter and the bodybuilder, not to say that one is superior to the other, but rather because one is only doing what is specific and necessary for his sporting success and no more than that.

kolecki_lockout2[1].jpg

I am an ok bench presser (165@88). I prefer behind the neck press, as it requires additional shoulder stability, which in turn makes my shoulders not break from bench volume.

Why not both?

The btn press has bb applications. I posted an article a while back showing that the btn press has the highest emg activity in the anterior deltoids compared to a range of other exercises.

Good versus bad exercises, it's all about finding an exercise that provides resistance safely throughout the rom, from full extension to complete contraction.

if you are (your shoulder girdle) able to perform a BTN press like any exercise without any tension and compression of tissue and tendon around the joint, then it's a good exercise, it does stimulate posterior deltoid as opposed to the regular press.

But more often than not with the BTN press there is impingement, you can test this by moving the upper arm through the movement, compared to the standard variation, you will feel the difference, if you don't you have the green light.

its true that the BTN hits the post delt, but if you can't do this movement safely, there are lots of pulling movements you'll be doing anyway, so no big issue there.

ALL exercises are GOOD if you know how the movement effects the targeted muscle, there are some exercises where you might need to slightly change the path due to your bone shape and mechanics, I reckon that's ok we are not RIGID machines.

Last edited:
The btn press has bb applications. I posted an article a while back showing that the btn press has the highest emg activity in the anterior deltoids compared to a range of other exercises.
Hey Repacked, I'm old school and pro btn press exercise. However it seems in this day and age, bodybuilders pay more attention to modern scientist then they do old timers (I'm talking 1960s / 70s), where press behind the neck was king. Today we're warned against performing the btn press, in addition to the upright rows, and even sit ups, as that places a ton of pressure on our lower back so we're told.

As for an EMG test concerning the anterior deltoids, I found the opposite last night without specifically looking for it:

ShouldersDeltsEx[1].jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I'm reading that incorrectly Fadi but I interpret that as the BB neck press (which I'm assuming is the btn press) as the second highest reading for the anterior delt.

Maybe I'm reading that incorrectly Fadi but I interpret that as the BB neck press (which I'm assuming is the btn press) as the second highest reading for the anterior delt.
BB stands for barbell, and your reading is just fine mate.