• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stop riding your bikes in the middle of the freaking road!

As it was mentioned before it may have been too dangerous, if the lane is full of glass or junk as they generally are, riding there may not only make his journey longer by having to change tubes but could also put him at risk as if he has a blow out controlling the bike can be a bit of a mission at best.
I have many times had to continue riding up to 5km to get to a bike shop with 2 completely flat tyres and it isnt easy just because the council doesnt find it necessary to clean the bike lane regularly. It would be comparable to every time you drive on the freeway you get a blowout, how likely are you then to drive on the freeway?

When it comes to riding two abreast it may have been a tactical thing like riding in the middle of lane it could have even been just one stupid tool driving next to them that they thought it may safer untill they get onto quieter roads.

I can tell you one thing that when I go out for a road ride on my BMX or mountain bike the game changes alittle as bunny hopping up and down gutters isnt an issue and dare I say darting across traffic(between safe gaps). It is definitely alot safer as it takes the whole car thing out of the equation, but once again because of a few, the media turned on this and its frowned upon.
A road cyclist has no choice as he cant go up and down a gutters when a situation gets hairy, there only option is to make the situation as safe as possible before something goes wrong, and its easier for them to assume that every car is driven by someone that either doesnt know how to drive and doesnt want then there.
In a perfect world where cyclists and drivers got along and people watched out for them tactics of the cyclist would be a thing of the past.
The closest place I have been to for this was Dresden, Germany.

Now just to make sure I am not supporting in any way to action of those that dont have a clue when it comes to riding on the road, but the media and the general attitude of us australians has turn us cyclist into an evil force and in general everyone always cracks first before that look around to see as to why they might be doing what they are doing.

One incident of my own was on a road with bike lanes that were clean everything was going fine until there there was a slight bend in the road where the council obviously decided wiithout concern for those on the bike lane, that cars were having an issue with this area and put an island on either side of the road and one in the middle with reflective arrows(Im sure you know the ones), I pulled onto the road clear before it with no one anywhere near me following but when I got to the Islands a B double truck decided to pass me through them whilst blowing his horn, could I have been killed? yes. Why didnt he slow down for half a second so I could go back to the bike lane, who the hell knows. It took me almost 5km to chase him down just so I could have 10 seconds of anger ventilation lol but it made for a good ride, I really push myself on that one lol.

Sorry for the blabs and venting guys but it kills me when people talk about cyclists as because the media continues to continuely shape australias mind everyone is putting all cyclist into that same boat. I cant tell you how many times I have been in a car with non cyclist friends, randoms and even my GF and they either mumble a few words as they pass a cyclist or even abuse them when they are cleary riding along to the left of the left lane in a neat and tidy fashion.

Thats a mute point because the bike lanes are on the road directly next to it infact. The same glass thats in the bike lane would also be on the road. The councils clean the bike lanes as often as they clean the road because they are infact one in the same. I like the bike lanes myself I only ride on sealed bike paths or bike lanes if there is glass i ride around it but when there is no glass i get back on the bike lane.

I agree drivers are wankers sometimes but the original thread was just me venting at some biker riders that were not using common sense.

They probably should have more more expensive fines for throwing glass on the road. It would be a bit hard to stop people tho its mostly drunk youths at night that do it. Maybe parents should teach there children better... ok now im getting off topic haha

Thats a mute point because the bike lanes are on the road directly next to it infact. The same glass thats in the bike lane would also be on the road. The councils clean the bike lanes as often as they clean the road because they are infact one in the same.

Yes they clean the bike lane as often as they do the road but I think your forgetting the fact that cars as they drive over glass over time will flick off the road straight into the bike lane where there isnt enough traffic to naturally clean the road.
I would say about 90% all car accidents the debris isnt cleaned up after an accident but a couple of day later on a major road it will all disappear.

All Im trying to say is that generally it is safer to ride on the road than to weave on and off the bike lane, if your are on the road drivers will see you(generally) rather than you weaving last second into the path of a car or truck.

At the time you were driving your car so you perception may have been skewed and you may not have seen all the debris on the bike lane.

Rather than general public directing their anger at cyclists maybe it should at the councils for not cleaning the lane they built regularly, the roads generally dont need cleaning except for appearance sake.

Car/truck tyre VS glass =tyre usually wins.
Bicycle tyre VS glass=tyre almost always loses - even a tiny sliver.

when i am riding glass isn't of a big concern sure it's there but the biggest problem for me riding is those bloody thorns and those bloody bindies

when i am riding glass isn't of a big concern sure it's there but the biggest problem for me riding is those bloody thorns and those bloody bindies

Lol dont start me on bindies, Ive had to throw out many tyres because I couldnt get rid of them even to the point where I sandpapered the inside and it still didnt work, every tube that went in took about a week to go down. Screws you over every time, do you or dont you change a tube that goes down in a week? after a couple of weeks it gets old very quick.

torpedo7 have specials on tubes every so often

my route i think i have cleared it of all the bindies as i haven't had a flat in a while

Admin -Just wanting to know how I would go about contacting you without writing some junk posts to get to 10 so I can pm you.

Why don't all the bike riders who don't want to ride in dirty bike lanes buy these?
Specialized Bicycle Components : 700c & 27x1-1/4'' Armadillo Tires

You can get them for around $50-60 here, I can't see why people would choose to risk their life over a flat tube...when they could just prevent the flat tube.

I've never used these tires before but had them recommended to me by someone who does, so I can only assume they work :p
Just thought I would share the love, since I never knew about them until someone told me :)

Why don't all the bike riders who don't want to ride in dirty bike lanes buy these?

You can get them for around $50-60 here, I can't see why people would choose to risk their life over a flat tube...when they could just prevent the flat tube.

I've never used these tires before but had them recommended to me by someone who does, so I can only assume they work :p
Just thought I would share the love, since I never knew about them until someone told me :)

For me its about rotating weight. You may think thats rubbish but in racing its all about conserving energy in long distance races and in sprints its about the power to weight ratio.

Personally the only difference I have found with comparisons between light tubes, normal tubes and thorn proof types is minor punctures the type that take a week to go down and no difference at all in complete punctures.

As for the price of tubes it doesn't really bother me that much as I have sponsors, my main concern is the time wasted changing them.