• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ho wmuch time can you spend in the gym before your muscle starts getting eaten away?

kindred

I read it somewhere before here but cant find it. Also does cardio training add to the time at all?

My sessions are around 50(min)-90(max) minutes.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that over 90 minutes isn't great, and one hour is optimum (with warm up and cool down included).

45 min is considered Ideal. as long as you do not take over two hrs , and you are progressing and recovering its ok.
a bit dramatic the image of your muscles getting eaten away....

I Lift for up to an hour then go for a run 20 to 30 min.

But I'm tring to build lean muscle and shred a little more fat from my stomach.

I am so paranoid about how long i work out for. I dont wanna get into a catobolic state if thats the right word. I have no idea why that scares me but for some reason it is my worst working out fear.

Gonna try something new for the start of 2009.

4 x 15 minute intense wights sessions / week - 48 working sets (not a HIT low volume routine)
That's a total of 1 hour per week.

Given my less than average recovery ability, I feel it will work very well for me.
Will review the results in a couple of months.

48 sets in one hour? plus warm ups? thats quick.

Basically, yes.

Today was my 1st workout for the year after a 2 week break, so hard to get back to it and energy levels/condition was terrible.

Today was Chest/Delts, will log my workouts in the Training Diaries section.

The workout had 6 warm up sets and 12 working sets.
Took me 19 minutes, but I'm happy to keep the workout to 15-20 mins.
And this was the first attempt, so as condition improves, I should get quicker, although progressing up in weights will probably take slightly longer rest times.

All equipment, machines, benches, weights were prepared and positioned for every exercise before the workout so no time was wasted at all.

So yes, if I keep the workouts to 15 minutes, 4 times per week, that's a total of 48 working sets in an hour (not 48 working sets in 1 session).

you do ask a lot of good questions kindred.

Again, im no PHD, but it is exactly 43 minutes and 2 seconds before you muscle eats itself.

I guess intensity, and nutrient intake and timing would have significant effects.

Most of my sessions of late are upto and beyond 2 hours!, but I I have ling breaks, check my journal for what I do.