• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How do you know if your dried fruit/ nuts are healthy?

kindred

Apparently if they are dried at high temperatures the enzymes break down. Also if they are dried using chemical preservatives they are bad. I ask because i was looking at the packet of mixed nuts and dried fruit i have and it doesnt say anything about the way it was made. The packet doesnt say it has anything added so im guessin it doesnt have preseratives??? In Australia they have to tell you about preservatives and added stuff dont they???

I dont wanna give up lollies, choclate and chips for something that is just as bad for me :S

I suspect that you are hoping to be told that dried fruit is no better than lollies and chocolate.

Look, its simple- dried fruit in particular is really high in sugar. A small serving is OK if you take this into account in your diet. As mentioned by someone else in your first post about dried fruit (this is now your third), dried fruit is often soaked in vegetable oil, upping the kilojoule content. You know this by checking the ingrediets and seeing if the fruit has been sun-dried.

Nuts have great benefits, filled with protein and omega 3s, but again, they are calorie packed little morsels and its easy to down a massive packet. And if you are eating salted stuff, water retention will become a problem.

You need to think- if you are allowing yourself 100cal treat every couple of days, would you prefer a few dried apricots or a small Freddo Frog, because you are looking at similar energy levels. All about balance and being sensible.

And here I was eating dried fruit as a "healthy" snack. I might have to stick to the fresh stuff, at least its natural sugar.