• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Anyone have any luck lifting really heavy?

kindred

I was looking at that 5x5 routine and was wondering if anyone has tried lifting rally heavy for few reps. Does it give good results?

As you can't go past horizontal the end effect is not the same

I was looking at that 5x5 routine and was wondering if anyone has tried lifting rally heavy for few reps. Does it give good results?
The 5x5 routine followed properly will give good results. It's generally done for 9 weeks before switching back to a more conventional routine. After a few months you can go again.
Highly recommend it.

okay, thanks I'll have a look.

Funny, Madcow, sounds like my wife, ha ha ha.

Lovely girl she is really.

ExerciseSets x RepsDetails Monday Squat5x5Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)Bench5x5Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)Barbell Row5x5Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)Assistance: 2 sets of weighted hypers and 4 sets of weighted sit-ups Wednesday Squat4x5First 3 sets are the same as Monday, the 4th set is repeating the 3rd set againIncline or Military4x5Ramping weight to top set of 5Deadlift4x5Ramping weight to top set of 5Assistance: 3 sets of sit-ups Friday Squat4x5, 1x3, 1x8First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8Bench4x5, 1x3, 1x8First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8Barbell Row4x5, 1x3, 1x8First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8Assistance: 3 sets of weighted dips (5-8 reps), 3 sets of barbell curls and 3 sets of triceps extensions (8 reps)​

Its all a little confusing, I'll have to read it a few more times.
Have you done the 5x5? And how long did you do it for?

Yes I've done it. the program goes for 9 weeks. It won't be confusing once you enter you !RM on the spreadsheet. It will then automatically calculate the weight for you. Quite simple really.

I do it on and off all the time and love it.
Results,yes, but more than that I just love the feeling of it.
For me bulking (if I do bulk) is just a bi product.A killer workout
makes me feel good .

Ok I've got it now. Thanks
Though I'm not lifting anywhere near 315 pounds, especially at home by myself, without a power rack!
If its not rude, what sort of weights are you lifting?
Mike

Ok it looks good, but I might be lifting a bit light right now. I'll have to work out what my 5RM and 1RM are.

I was thinking of changing my sets and reps. Instead of 3 x 10/12, I might try more weight, more sets less reps, 4 x 8 or 5 x 7/8.

On the other hand my current routine works, so why change?
Getting a bit bored, is all.

Thanks for the 5 x 5 tip.
Mike

Sounds like a plan. heavy weight with lower reps.
if you think you are still making prgress on your current routine then stick with it. 5x5 is great for plateau busting and boredom busting.

Shrek. Why are you resurrecting ancient threads? Pretty sure the OP has died or taken up crossfit. Or both.