• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[MartialArts] Who here does martial arts?

A

alca

Just wondering who here studies a form of martial arts.
Style :
Years Training :
Competed :
How you find it :

Style : Taekwondo
Years Training : 4 (as a kid)
Competed : Junior Competition
How you find it : A found it focuses far too much on kicking and has absolutely no real life use on the street other than general fitness and flexibility.

Style : Karate
Years Training : 3
Competed : 2 x Multistyle Competition with no elbows or knees.
How you find it : Effective if well trained, and well disciplined, but there is no ground work and the weapon work (both use of and defense from) was not particularly useful.

Style : Freestyle Martial Arts (MMA)
Years Training : 2
Competed : Never (I'm not fit enough anymore)
How you find it : Far more useful on the street for defense from both weapons and multiple attackers than anything else I've done. The place I trained was well disciplined, but I can see the possibility of this training style becoming haphazard if not taught well due to the number of fighting styles incorporated.

Years Training : 2years as a teenager , there was a local class so i signed up
Competed :
How you find it : As a teen it gave me a bit of self confidence and fitness

GKR Karate - 2 years <--- not good
Moo Hak Kwan Hapkido - 3 years <--- fun
Jido Kwan Tae Kwan Do - 4 years <--- fun
Kin Bushi Ryu Freestyle Karate - 6 months <--- too serious
Boxing - 6 months <--- Only quit cause im not in good shape Id still be doing it if i could keep up with the others. Boxing = the best
Goju Karate - 6 months <--- had a break and never came back :(

Hey people, how goes it? Just signed up here, this is my first post.

STYLE - Karate, Boxing, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, MMA
YEARS - 2yrs Karate as a kid, not for me. 3yrs Boxing, 3yrs Muay Thai, 4yrs Jiu Jitsu. Been doing Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai together for a while now. As far as I'm concerned Muay Thai is the king of stand up. So versatile. Many options.
COMPETED - 1 x Boxing, 0 x Muay Thai, various BJJ tourneys and the like.
FOUND - Don't all kids do Karate or Tae Kwon Do? Boxing from mates, Muay Thai from Boxing and BJJ and MMA from tournaments.

Style : northern shaolin, shuai jiao (grappling), chin na (joint locking), traditional Cambodian kickboxing

Years Training : 9ish

Competed : I do martial arts not martial sports, though people do play shuai jiao competitively. I do try to test and explore against different styles and people though.

How you find it : great. A long journey which has been difficult and tempting to quit or switch styles but I'm glad I've stuck with it. Have found that majority of Chinese martial arts teachers suck, so with the risk of sounding conceited I often feel I'm in a different boat; I had the luck of meeting a great teacher who had alot of fighting experiences and opportunities to use his art and he passed it onto me with practicality and effectiveness in mind. Most people who practise kung fu don't practise it to fight.

The striking, grappling and locking aren't really seperate in the kung fu I have learned and if you train hard and practise properly, it is a very versatile art that deals with all the long and close ranges of fighting.

Respect

I did boxing as a young teen for several years then about 4 years ago I started learning Southern Style Shaolin Five Animals Gung Fu.

Im currently a brown belt level and my Sifu (Master) wants me to train to become an instructor, which I do want but I know what I really need to shift my training into a higher ger to get to that level. Thats a good thing though because it gives me something to work towards.

I was lucky enough to find a good school at a time when I needed something to give me direction in my life and so for that I am grateful to my Sifu and Gaolins. The training is often hard as we train in the traditional style but there is always satisfaction when you achieve something which you once thought you would never be able to do, and there is always something new to learn which I love. I see kung fu (skill attained through hard work) as a life long journey and so as long as I persevere I know I will always be improving.

Last edited:
how old are all you guys? martial arts is something id like to do but i reckon i'll be 40 before id be any good at it lol

It's never to late to start Hyjak, I think you'll find that if you check out a few different schools that most of them will be more than happy and very encouraging to take on students of any age.

Style : Karate
Years Training : None, went to one session when I was 9
Competed : Nil
How you find it : Crap. - there were no nun chuks in sight and all we did for an hour and a half was count in Japanese in gay white pyjamas.

Itch, nee, sun.... get faaaarked I'm out of here.

Last edited:
Style : Kendo
Years Training : 7 months
Competed : going to the nationals next april in melbourne :D Might be competing next week in state competition.
How you find it : Absolutly awesome, most people drop after they complete the begineers course, but the real fun starts when you do ji-geiko (sparring). I would recomend everyone here try it and just stick with it for at least 2 months, i guarantee you'll all love it. Nothing better than hitting people all day with wooden swords.

Style : Boxing/MMA 3 years then moved. Several RBPP and CQC seminars. Now training in Kyokushin Karate

Years Training : 3 years boxing/MMA and nearly 4 years kyokushin
Competed :none in MMA, several in kyokushin

How you find it :
-MMA has top notch fitness and strength training routines, but lacked discipline (this is only my experience, not all are like this). Not that the guys were not committed to training hard on a regular basis - however big heads and telling new students that "anything apart from MMA is garbage" is not how it should be. Especially seeing as MMA evolved from the older more traditional arts and many fighters such as Bas Rutten, Georges St. Pierre, Chuck Liddell and many others either have extensive training in them or still train in them.
-Kyokushin is great. Very demanding and there is just something fun about full contact sparring with minimal protective gear. However while competition is fun (and painfull) it is not the reason I train. I enjoy the art more than the sport.

Style : Judo

Years Training : 8yrs old - 14.

Competed : under 13s, boys 13+ and young men (was meant to be 16+ for this). Was state champion (in 13+ I think). Was also requested for yr 2000 olympics but they didn't realise I was too young because I was competing in a higher age bracket by this stage (see above) and I gave it up around then also.

How you find it :It was ok. Weight divisions help make things more even as an adult. But when a 13 yr old comes up against a 15 yr old at the same weight it's not often even as the 15 yr olds are more developed and the 13 yr olds still have that puppy fat. I was lucky to be one of the exceptions but I used to see it a fair amount.

Muay thai - 1 year
Tae Kwon Do - 2.5 years (blue belt brown tip)
Wing Chun - 1 year

this is going back a few years, not currently training in any martial arts gotta get back in there though

Years Training : 6
Competed : Yes
How you find it : Kicked ass, knocked opponents out at least 4 times. Doesn't focus on kicks at all although being able to kick hard was something I focused on as well as using knee and elbow to strike, this was mainly due to the fact that I had no intention of using my bare hands to punch someone in the face if I had to defend myself. Kept me very fit and flexible. Not currently training and have no intention of doing so at the present time.

Primary:
Style: Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Years Training: 5
Competed : Yes (6-1)
Camp: Mad X Gym (Noosa)

Secondary:
Style: Muay Thai
Years Training: 5
Competed: Yes (3-0) Mostly Evo's
Camp: Mad X Gym (Noosa)

Style : Enshin Karate KO karate (Sabaki challenge)
Years Training : 4
Competed : Green belt 1 tag :)
How you find it : AWESOME best KO karate :) under rated :)

Style : Kick Boxing + normal boxing
How you find it : good for striking not good if the fight gets into close range

Last edited:
Judo - From 1982-1983
Level attained - Orange or Brown Belt :D

Competed - No, I was too skinny and Judo was classed by weight.