• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My routine, seeking advice

J

Javlin

Hey

First post not sure if this is the right section..

Joined these forums to learn and gain some advice on my routine and general body building. :cool: My story's as follows, 18 years old been going to the gym for a period of 90+ days now. Started going over a long holiday overseas to Sweden and Thailand , put allot of weight on and when i returned home got allot of jokes that id been on steroids with allot of mass gained on my arms. With nasty effects of stretch marks on the inside bicep, thankfully starting to fade now but was told they would never go away from my doctor, is this true?

Since I have finished high school had allot of time on my hands so I decided to join the gym, to gain size and fitness. Luckily a mate decided to join me which has really helped keep the motivation going.

My routine modified over time currently is,

Monday Chest and Tri's
Bench press 60kg, Dumbbells press, Skull crushers and bench dips. Been using machine were you pull down a handle or cable seems to work much better, replacing skull crushers. All mostly 10 reps unless I up the weight n do 6-8 reps.

Tuesday
Run 20-30mins 180 hr + Abs incline and bench with mate holding feet 15x3

Wednesday Biceps and shoulders
Only 10kg Curls and Hammers 20x3x2 trying to move up ... 21 barbell curls, 7 half way 7 middle to top and then 7 all the way. Shoulder press prob around 50-60kg, Dumbbell shoulder press 17.5's, 20's. Then fly's with 8kg 2 sets to front then 2 to the side.

Thursday Same as Tuesday + getting smashed at pub

Friday Back, misc
Chin ups about max of 5 atm suck at them, Lat pull down max for 10 rep around 54-61 kilo. T bar 30 kilos and other some other exercise I may have missed or random machines like dips etc . Thinking of adding legs to this section as I have read here that it will help the upper body more as well.

This is followed by going out getting smashed Friday night thru to Saturday normally with no sleep at all lately

Sunday sleep

I try to take a protein shake in the morning and after I work out but often miss them.

Skip breakfast most days and pig out on Maccas or KFC for lunch, dinner norm rice and chicken or pasta.

I'm currently 83 Kilos

Any advice would be greatly appreciated I currently aiming to tone up a bit and gain strength size doesn’t bother me.

Last edited:
Shrek,

Neglecting legs seems to be a common problem with the new trainees.

Maybe we should make a sticky about leg training and refer all beginners there.

My training partner isnt to keen on them just wants to get big upper body :p I don't mind personally.

Ill refer him to read here about it.

Shrek,

Neglecting legs seems to be a common problem with the new trainees.

Maybe we should make a sticky about leg training and refer all beginners there.
Unfortunatley this is true

My training partner isnt to keen on them just wants to get big upper body :p I don't mind personally.

Ill refer him to read here about it.
Unfortunately this is sad and why I am reluctant to help. The attitutude is all wrong and most likely any advice given will be thrown out of the window.
Just because your mate does not want to train legs doesn't mean you shouldn't. you should strive to be better than him.

Yea ok fair enough

What would you recommend for a good leg day?

Squats
Deadlifts
Stiff leg deadlifts
Lunges
Standing calf raise

3 hard working sets of maybe 8 reps each exercise, maybe 10-12 reps for the lunges and calves.

That should do it.

I wouldn't do deadlift on leg day. It's too taxing on the body. Perform deads on back day. The rest looks fine.

Squats are good to chuck in. dunno where but they are a good solid exercise. If you dont like the barbell quats try dumbbell squats i like those better.

Last edited:
hmmm do you guys feel it would be proper to use leg extensions and ham curls during leg days?.
something like
Squats -
Leg extensions
Ham Curls,
Calf raises,
Lunges - or is this abit overload?

You can do. I would not do the calf raises though. Put all you efforts into quads and hams and by then you should have little energy for calf raises. You can do them with chest or shoulders.
Why not do this.
Leg Ext x 2-3 sets (warm up quads)
Squats x 4-5 sets
Lunges x 2 sets
Ham Curls x 3 sets
SLDL x 3 sets.

I wouldn't do deadlift on leg day. It's too taxing on the body. Perform deads on back day. The rest looks fine.

totally agree, i do them on back days. probably could add some leg extensions and and hamstring curls. Calves are like abs, do more of them, but on seperate days. I usually do them til fail.