• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[MartialArts] Martial Arts Fighting Styles

Just a point on Taekwando. You mentioned it has alot of emhpais on sport etc. This is somewhat a misconception and a source of a bit of argument from many schools of the "Traditional" way.

The notion of ITF vs WTF is quite interesting aswell. For those who dont know, Taekwando has two main federations. The oen you see at the olympics, and the more common one in Western Society comes under the WTF banner.

The easiest way to describe the differences between the two federations is the way of fighting. ITF use traditinal ways, ie, they have wider stances, more rounded and powerfull kicks. They also do more hand techniques, aswell as touch on a few close combat techniques including basic joint locks, throws etc.

WTF has a more narrow stance, with kicks that are more shallow. The shallow kicks lead them to be less powerfull, but faster. WTF has but alot of movement towards competitions, and olympic events.

Ofcourse, there are many places in Australia who combine the two "styles".

I did WTF Jido Kwan and we focused on Self Defense. Based on what you read in magazine articles, books and on the net what you say makes sense but when you are actually there training its totally different.

Yes. It seems only a small portion at interested in the Sport aspect of Taekwando. Most are interested in the Martial Art aspect of it.

Unfortunality its the small sport portion that write all the mags, make the videos etc

This should be a sticky I rekon, Very Informative and makes it easy to help beginners deside what disapline/s they want to get into. Well done!
I agree, Very imformative now that i actually took the time to read it.

Thread stuck.

Yes. It seems only a small portion at interested in the Sport aspect of Taekwando. Most are interested in the Martial Art aspect of it.

Unfortunality its the small sport portion that write all the mags, make the videos etc

Are you with the ITF or WTF? or no affiliation.

Are you with the ITF or WTF? or no affiliation.

I havnt trained for over a year, so I suppose technically thats no affiliation.

Technically I have been graded through the WTF, but, nothing is ever formal untill you get your first Dan black belt.

The school I went to tought us the ITF style of fighting. We also learned the ITF patterns up untill 1st kup, here we had to learn both the ITF and WTF patterns. We concentrated more on the whole side of "fighting" aspect, including joint locks, basic throws, hand combat, and ofcourse kicks. As you can imagine kicks played the most important roll.

I really want to get back into it, but, at this present moment there is simply not enough time.

Lack of time sucks. I just started karate again been there twice. You should try to get back to it, even once every two weeks is better than nothing. Once a month is better than nothing aswell! At least it keeps your contacts alive and makes it much easier to train more frequently when you can go back.

Hmmmm that has a few holes in it aswell, Kung Fu's origins date back to an indian yoga master who was fluent the cleropira (an ancient indian martial art)who went to the shaolin temple. From there the shaolin monks adapted the style to defend themselves from invaders

i do a bit of farkemup its easy start by swingin em hard and fast
throw in a few elbows
1 or 2 headbutts
and if all else fails a good swift kick you know where
seriously i have never learnt any sort of fighting styles
are they as effective they are made out to be or just for fittness

That is a good question.
IHOMO, up until the mid level of martial arts you may be a bit better than the average guy on the street but above that if you train hard you can be a serious fighting machine.
I had a mate,RIP, and he was one bad ass street fighter and he fugged up many a boxer and martial artist and yet he never,ever had one lesson except for tough street lessons.

I'm a baby judoka. Judo is derived from jujitsu. Historiclly you didn't have all the saftey equipment and padding/mats that you have today and so many of the techniques result in injury if practiced. Consequently they were never really "trained". Judo was developed by jutitsu fighters to utilise those techniques that could be trained and as a result these jujitsu fighters cleaned up at jujitsu fights.

You seem to be implying that judo is purely a sport and not a martial art any more because all the "lethal stuff" has been removed. Thats not what judo is about. Judo is about being able to control and incappacitate your opponent. In training and competition great care is taken by judoka to not hurt your training partners.

Judo is one of the few martial arts that actually practices. In judo you throw and get thrown. You see what works and what doesn't because you actually do it.

My suggestion is you look up Ronda Rousey on youtube and take a look at her first few MMA fights. She was an olympic judo player and she's fighting some of the best MMA fighters in the world currently. See what happens when they don't tap.

I'm a baby judoka. Judo is derived from jujitsu. Historiclly you didn't have all the saftey equipment and padding/mats that you have today and so many of the techniques result in injury if practiced. Consequently they were never really "trained". Judo was developed by jutitsu fighters to utilise those techniques that could be trained and as a result these jujitsu fighters cleaned up at jujitsu fights.

You seem to be implying that judo is purely a sport and not a martial art any more because all the "lethal stuff" has been removed. Thats not what judo is about. Judo is about being able to control and incappacitate your opponent. In training and competition great care is taken by judoka to not hurt your training partners.

Judo is one of the few martial arts that actually practices. In judo you throw and get thrown. You see what works and what doesn't because you actually do it.

My suggestion is you look up Ronda Rousey on youtube and take a look at her first few MMA fights. She was an olympic judo player and she's fighting some of the best MMA fighters in the world currently. See what happens when they don't tap.

Yeah well said, Judo is a great martial art as as said alomost everything you get taught you can actually apply and practice during training.

As for Rhonda Rousey definately worth youtubing, especially her last fight against Misha Tate.....Rhonda with an arm is like Phalhares with a leg........Dangerous!!!!!!!

As for Rhonda Rousey definately worth youtubing, especially her last fight against Misha Tate.....Rhonda with an arm is like Phalhares with a leg........Dangerous!!!!!!!

She's badass.
Also Chris cyborg Santos of strike force.
Her ju jit is beautiful!
Snapped her last opponents arm, like a boss

any bjj guys in here, thinking about signing up at a local gym and training 1-2 days a week for fun/ fitness/ self defense ? Will that be enough?

Any amount is good enough. Obviously the more the merrier. The less you go, the longer it will take to pick things up. But you will get there.