• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
M

minx

i have been adding some oatmeal to my shakes but now i am wonder is it justas as good as when its cooked, does the cooking release all the good stuff ?

I don't know for sure, but doubt cooking would change a thing.

Cooking would simply heat up the oats allowing water/milk to soak in, as far as I can see.

However, eggs are better when cooked.

I eat mine uncooked.
I don't think cooking them affects the nutritional value at all.

I was thinking that some sort of chemical reaction might happen , like with popcorn

Ok chemical reaction might have been the wrong choice of words , but you get the picture apply heat and a change happens

Just a theory, but oats contain some gluten, just like flour. Add flour to some sort of moisture (ie melted butter) and stir over a low heat, and the gluten molecules change, making the mixture thicken (think making white sauce). I wonder if that is part of the reason that when you heat oats they thicken.

quite an interesting theory you have there Bree, i think you could be onto something with that

i have been adding some oatmeal to my shakes but now i am wonder is it justas as good as when its cooked, does the cooking release all the good stuff ?

Cooking will begin the breaking down process making it easier to digest leading to more available nutrients.

Ahhh this reminds of the good old days when times were busy and most of my diet was liquid. Each shaker bottle came in 3 layers, whey powder, skim milk powder and blended raw oats - just add water. Pop a vitamin tablet here and there and its a homemade Meal Replacement!! haha. Well it was better than all those maltodextrose filled MRPs anyway.,

thank goodness i have the time and money to eat mostly whole foods now.

Last edited:
I blend it into my morning shake for extra carbs, that's about it. I wouldn't just spoon it into my mouth lol.

Random post bump.

One of the more bro-sciencey things I've read in a while.

I think stuff like hard vegies are better cooked due to breaking the fibres down, isn't that true?