• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
S

snaggletooth

Hi guys,

For 3 years I trained light, then heavier, then heaviest.

Eg. Bench 60kg/10 reps, 70kg/8 reps, 80kg/4 reps.

Recently I flipped it: 80kg/6 reps, 70kg/8 reps., 60kg rep till fail.

I find it much better as you are able to lift the heavy weight straight away as your muscles are not fatigued. Previously I would generally fail on the last set.

This way when you get to the lighter weights your muscles are already wrecked but you have enough endurance to sustain the set.

Anyone else train like this?

Whatever floats your boat. It's called reverse pyramid.
Just make sure your thoroughly warmed up before jumping into the heaviest set first.

Personally, I warm up for big compounds over 3 or 4 sets, reducing reps as the weight gets up, then go for 2 heavy sets which wipe me out.
Warm up sets really shouldn't tire you in any way in my opinion, so you can put 100% effort into a few working sets which does all the damage.

Then if you do another exercise, you may only need 1 warmup set or no warm up at all and just go heavy from the start.

I find heaviest to lightest best also but i still do a warmup set so i guess it more like moderate to heavy to moderate to light a bit odd i know

Personally, I warm up for big compounds over 3 or 4 sets, reducing reps as the weight gets up, then go for 2 heavy sets which wipe me out.
Warm up sets really shouldn't tire you in any way in my opinion, so you can put 100% effort into a few working sets which does all the damage.

Then if you do another exercise, you may only need 1 warmup set or no warm up at all and just go heavy from the start.

x 2.

Its a few things. Your increasing your heart rate which increases your cardiovascular function and gets blood flowing more rapidly all over the body. This alone warrants warming up. But more is happening, your also lubricating your joints, revving up your central nervous system and immune system. You are also physcologically prepping yourself in many ways for whats ahead. This is a brief description of how warming up benefits us, though this could be unravelled into great detail illustrating every functional part of the human body.

Start heavy & go light? Or vice versa?

Its a few things. Your increasing your heart rate which increases your cardiovascular function and gets blood flowing more rapidly all over the body. This alone warrants warming up. But more is happening, your also lubricating your joints, revving up your central nervous system and immune system. You are also physcologically prepping yourself in many ways for whats ahead. This is a brief description of how warming up benefits us, though this could be unravelled into great detail illustrating every functional part of the human body.

Not trying to be a smart ass but how exactly do the joints get lubricated?

You can buy Bovine Synovial Fluid, not sure i'd want to pin that though, probably end up with mad cow disease.