• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Mid there a specific temperature or just homeostasis?

You raise the body temp slightly from the temp when you walk in.
You’re too hung up on the name, warm up is a perfectly good name for the stretching / movement we perform prior a heavy lift. Call it preparation if it makes you sleep better, but every athlete in any discipline calls it a warm up.

I just don’t know whether it’s necessary, in my case (and I’m just talking about a workout) the exercises I do aren’t really a high skill in that I’ve been doing it for many years now, I just get in and go, I know a bloke whom I highly respect and he advocates some warming up by means of treadmill work and he does this long enough to work up a bit of sweat.

perhaps (in my mind) the rep’s that lead up to the final important rep’s in a set are in fact a warm-up.

and you’re right in saying I get “hung-up” on the term, but in reality it does mean a lot of things for different people in different sports.

but for me a “warm-up” (as a separate activity) prior to a workout just seems superfluous

Well you don’t just strut in on a cold winter day and start heaving the barbell.
So you do do a warmup, or whatever you like to call it.

Well you don’t just strut in on a cold winter day and start heaving the barbell.

Well, actually I do.

i don’t “strut” though, I just walk in and start lifting man, the rest takes care of itself.
can’t see the reason for wasting precious fresh strength.

And I am finding the need for a good warmup has increased greatly as I have got older, especially with regard to my knees due to partial meniscus removal and serious thigh bone stress fractures.

upper body not so bad, light sets are enough to get me ready for the training sets.

Well, actually I do.

i don’t “strut” though, I just walk in and start lifting man, the rest takes care of itself.
can’t see the reason for wasting precious fresh strength.

Well some walk in, but da grunta struts in, cos he got the biggest cock in the gym. Anyway, horses for courses.
What you forgot to mention, difficult one, is that you most likely grab a lighter weight and do a set or two of low resistance while your body temp increases.
yes, I know you don’t want to hear this word, but your low resistance or light sets are called a warm up.

Well some walk in, but da grunta struts in, cos he got the biggest cock in the gym. Anyway, horses for courses.
What you forgot to mention, difficult one, is that you most likely grab a lighter weight and do a set or two of low resistance while your body temp increases.
yes, I know you don’t want to hear this word, but your low resistance or light sets are called a warm up.

Now im Not having a go or what not but this is not how it works for me.

i start with the leg extension and a full list of exercises as a full-body template (I can list exercises is required) one set on each.

as I stated the first few rep’s are in actual fact my warm-up to the last critical ones.

on Tuesday I actually asked Max to give me a hand on the leg extension.

my set target was 11 smooth full rep’s with the whole stack short of two plates, what I asked Max to do was to help me with three negative only rep’s at the end, it was those last 3 where the magic happened...

He lifted the arm, as I couldn’t (I was totally fatigued) to the top, my quads where totally contracted I held it for two seconds and slowly lowered the weight, got to the bottom max lifted it again, we did the two more times, until I could not control the weight down, my quads where numb, pins and needles in my arms and numb down the back of my head, got out of the machine and hobbled straight to the leg press

If train chest, I do 4 sets, in fact I do 5 or 6 but I only count the last 4 heavy ones, the first and second are my warmups.

Warming up depends on the exercise. If its deads, then you definitely want to work your way up the ladder and the same with squats. For biceps, triceps, calfs and abs its not as important to warm up, you can just pretty much jump straight in and lift heavy. For back, chest and shoulders 1 to 3 warm up sets should be enough until you hit your heavy arse sets.