• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Starting up

R

Route7

with my 17 birthday just days away i thought that i should start doing something body and muscle wise , I weigh in at 55kgs, I've never really worked out before, i mean sure i have lifted mates dumbbells when they have been laying around but haven't really started lifting and i want to start. What I'm focusing on is my chest and arms. can anyone tell me where i should start?

Yes,

Firstly you need to get some basic equipment, barbell, dumbbells, weights, bench and some sort of rack, otherwise you need somewhere to train that has equipment.

Then, you need to have a basic workout plan, 3 days a weeks is a good start, do fullbody, not just cest and arms.

Then, get a basic diet plan going.
Just research on what kind of foods you should be eating/drinking and get enough calories into you. When starting, you can gain easy, even if your diet is not the best, just eat more calories than you burn off.

Be consistent and you will see results.

Good luck.

Yes,

do fullbody, not just cest and arms.

Please listen to this. You will live to regret it later on when you look totally out of proportion if yo only do chest and arms. Why would you not want a wide back and nice thick legs with broad shoulders?
Please re-asess.

Yes,

Firstly you need to get some basic equipment, barbell, dumbbells, weights, bench and some sort of rack, otherwise you need somewhere to train that has equipment.

damn all that equipment is going to run out expensive for a 17yo not to mention the room need , might just forget the idea and let nature take its course

damn all that equipment is going to run out expensive for a 17yo not to mention the room need,

True.. Not sure about the latter part of sentence though. :p.

If you just the basic equipment as The Hulk said - maybe u can con your parents in to helping to pay for the equipment (give them the whole - "But it's for my health!" Line. Might work). Then place it in a spare room or a closed of area outside or garage/shed even? If that's the case I must warn you about the heat! (Yes, been there done that! Haha). That would be great. If not, perhaps a cheap gym? A PCYC is usually a good place to start. ;).

After the equipment or gym has been organised. Once again as The Hulk said, a weight training program will be needed and diet is a major part of the training.

Good luck with it.

Don't got no money, easy.

Go to the park, do some chin ups/pull ups, puch ups, pick up some rocks and do squats, do them one legged if they are too easy.
Got to the tip and find some scrap steel bars or rods.

Or just buy 2nd hand stuff cheap from eBay or the Tading Post.

If you want it, you will find a way.

There's a great book by Frederic Devavier called Strength Training Anatomy. This book is my exercise bible - it will help you with the big muscles, and then the small muscle groups - and you get to choose which exercises you like best.

For the beginning you should concentrate on an exercise for your chest (like barbell presses), lats (pull downs), leg presses or squats (quads) and then after those main exercises perhaps work specifically on your abs, delts, triceps, calves, hamstrings, and traps. That's what I work out anyway. The big ones cover pretty much everything, the little ones are the finer details. Please correct me if I'm incorrect.