• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
N

nics

Q.How do you know when you have overtrained?
Is it when you are tired the next day or even a couple of hours after
training?

The usual test is keeping a record of your heart rate upon waking in the morning. If it starts elevating then take that as a warning. Other things include soreness above the norm and feelings of depression.

Sudden drops in strength, lack of desire to workout, and inability to sleep are also signs. I usually get the lack of desire to work out, im usually a very motivated person, so when i cant bring myself to go to the gym i know i have a problem.

The solution: a week off, and go out and relax.

This is all great advice! There are many individuals who think they don't need time off.

Now, if you are not accustomed to taking a week off from training then it can be a little tough mentally until you get use to it. I know there are some of you out there who probably think you're machines and you never need time off, but I know people at my gym that have not taken a week off in a couple years or more! Guess what- they look pretty much the same as they did two years ago and are lifting the same amount of weight. So, are these people doing themselves a favor by never taking time to recover? Not if their goals are optimal muscle and conditioning.

people lifting to same weight they did 2 years ago is a more a sign they dont know what they are doing not that they are overtraining.

shit try over training yourself and see what happens? you'll most likely make nice progression. an hour a day at the gym everyday isn't going to lead to overtraining

No matter what evolves or devolves in the weight game the same problems keep arising
let's define overtraining.
it is certainly not the same as training too hard, in fact I'm not sure it's possible to train too hard, but it's easy to train too much.

this starts to make sense if you consider that working out breaks down tissue - growth comes later, following rest.

during a workout the body goes into high gear, blood gets pumped into the working muscles giving the illusion of immediate often dramatic gains.

exercise results are not produced proportion to the amount of work but produced in proportion to the intensity of work.

Last edited:
The other thing I've noticed in the many years I've been involved with lifting is that if you have worked long enough to produce meaningful results you will literally become addicted to it.

Can you overtrain? You certainly can. But its MUCH harder than most people think. Like my friend Fadi i think most people under recover. And most other people have no fucken clue how to periodize thier training either, sometime those guys will think they are overtrained. But again its a recovery thing.

Tim.

Can you overtrain? You certainly can. But its MUCH harder than most people think. Like my friend Fadi i think most people under recover. And most other people have no fucken clue how to periodize thier training either, sometime those guys will think they are overtrained. But again its a recovery thing.

Tim.

Overtraining and under recovery are just the same thing said differently.

No one working the average desk job going to the gym a an hour a day has to waste a second of their day thinking about overtraining.

Basically anyone spending time reading a BB forum isn't overtraining.

don't agree, overtraining not that hard; cannot be measured or understood merely by referring to training volume or regularity. A person can train as little as 2-3 times per week, and may still overtrain. It comes down to intensity and knowing when to back off a bit.

Overtraining and under recovery are just the same thing said differently.

Not necessarily. Your body only has limited recuperative ability. If your training exceeds that you're over-training or in a state on non-functional overreaching.

If your training does not exceed that but you are just not doing what is necessary to recover e.g. sleeping/eating enough you are under-recovering.

Basically anyone spending time reading a BB forum isn't overtraining.

Why Baz? Do you have to train 24/7 to over-train? Peoples recovery threshold and tolerance for training varies from person to person.

Not necessarily. Your body only has limited recuperative ability. If your training exceeds that you're over-training or in a state on non-functional overreaching.

If your training does not exceed that but you are just not doing what is necessary to recover e.g. sleeping/eating enough you are under-recovering.

Why Baz? Do you have to train 24/7 to over-train? Peoples recovery threshold and tolerance for training varies from person to person.

Lol. What a surprise. Pack disagrees with me.

It's the same thing. You are just describing two ends of the same piece of string. Overtraining is simply not enough recovery for the work you are doing. They are not separate.

don't agree, overtraining not that hard; cannot be measured or understood merely by referring to training volume or regularity. A person can train as little as 2-3 times per week, and may still overtrain. It comes down to intensity and knowing when to back off a bit.

If someone is overtraining from 2-3 workouts per week they have probably caught the AIDS.

Lol. What a surprise. Pack disagrees with me.

It's the same thing. You are just describing two ends of the same piece of string. Overtraining is simply not enough recovery for the work you are doing. They are not separate.

Lol, no worries Baz.

Not much point discussing anything with you.