• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Newbie female needing advice on workout routine

J

just_julie

Hello all Newbie female needing advice on workout routine that i've been doing for 3 weeks now

Monday, Wednesday, Friday:

Upper body (with 5kg. dumbbells)

One arm row - 3 x 8-15 reps
Standing shoulder press - 3 x 8-15 reps
Dumbbell shrug - 3 x 8-15 reps
Bench press - 3 x 8-15 reps
Bicep curls - 3 x 8-15 reps
Push-ups - to failure

30 minutes of step aerobics

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday:

Lower body (holding two 5kg. dumbbells)

Squats - 3 x 10-15 reps
Lunges - 3 x 10-15 reps
Stiff-legged deadlift - 3 x 10-15 reps
Single-leg calf raises - 3 x 10-15 reps
Upper and lower ab crunches - 3 sets each to failure

I know it's not alot of weight, but I'm new to weight training and very tiny (5'1", 50kg)
my muscles are completely tired out by the third set of each exercise so I'm assuming the weight is adequate

Now, my main concern is whether it's safe to work out body parts that are still sore from the previous workout. I know that you're supposed to let your muscles recover and rest for them to get bigger and stronger. Do I risk overtraining them by not waiting for the muscle soreness to go away before training again?

Also, I'm wondering if it's wise to do step aerobics on the days between my leg workouts? Step aerobics can fatigue my lower body , so am I allowing my lower body to rest sufficiently if I'm doing step aerobics the day afterward?

Any advice would be muchly appreciated!

Thanks,
just_julie

When first starting out, it is a good idea to give your body a full rest after a good workout and slowly develop. You will find your body will start to recover faster as time develops

as for your aerobics question , I would lay off the in-between leg workout and find another cardio routine,

Thanks for the reply and advice, akira

I'm was thinking that maybe I should consider doing upper body training/aerobics on Monday and Thursdays, lower body training on Tuesdays and Fridays and using wednesdays and sundays for a complre break. that way I'm only training my upper and lower body two days a week instead of three.

Once my body adjusts I'm hoping I can go back to working out upper and lower body three days a week.

It just doesn't feel right to be working out muscles that are pretty darn sore and trying to recover. The last thing I want to do is halt any strength/muscle gains.

So rest I will do!