• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Snoochies

I competed in my first novice comp over the weekend and had a blast, didn't realise how fun they day was going to be.
Now I've tasted it, I wouldnt mind trying some real comps and as I've never really looked into it, there are obviously a lot of federations to choose from.
My coach on the day competes in PA Masters and he's like me to join PA, another mate who helped is keen for me to jump with him to Capo and GPC.

What's everyone's preference and why?

This may or may not help:

APU: has equipment brand rules (ie you can only use certain brands of belt/singlet/sleeves etc), potential for drug testing (but unlikely unless you are winning/breaking records), “raw” is sleeves only, “equipped” is single ply and 2m wraps.

PA: I don’t think they have equipment brand rules anymore post the split from IPF but don’t quote me on that, potential for drug testing (but again unlikely), same deal for raw & equipped.

GPC: no equipment brand rules, no drug testing, can use wraps in “raw” but don’t have to (plenty of newcomers don’t), equipped can be single or multi-ply.

CAPO: I believe this is similar to GPC but they don’t do much in NSW anymore so not sure.

Check what feds are active in your area, consider who your “crew” lifts with. It’s not a massive expense so changing is no big deal (unless you go APU and load up on approved gear just to lift with them).

I compete with GPC because it’s a bit more laid back (but the judging is strict), I like knee wraps, don’t have to worry about what’s in my pre-workout [emoji6] and a host of other reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like APU and GPC.

PA has TONNES of comps on the calendar typically which might be something to think about. But also it's the most expensive membership...

GPC is cheaper option. And less restrictive. But also less comp options. Like I said PA has HEAPS on the calendar, so is easier to fit a comp your life schedule. (Though if it matters to you, you'll fit the comp in).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

This may or may not help:

APU: has equipment brand rules (ie you can only use certain brands of belt/singlet/sleeves etc), potential for drug testing (but unlikely unless you are winning/breaking records), “raw” is sleeves only, “equipped” is single ply and 2m wraps.

PA: I don’t think they have equipment brand rules anymore post the split from IPF but don’t quote me on that, potential for drug testing (but again unlikely), same deal for raw & equipped.

GPC: no equipment brand rules, no drug testing, can use wraps in “raw” but don’t have to (plenty of newcomers don’t), equipped can be single or multi-ply.

CAPO: I believe this is similar to GPC but they don’t do much in NSW anymore so not sure.

Check what feds are active in your area, consider who your “crew” lifts with. It’s not a massive expense so changing is no big deal (unless you go APU and load up on approved gear just to lift with them).

I compete with GPC because it’s a bit more laid back (but the judging is strict), I like knee wraps, don’t have to worry about what’s in my pre-workout [emoji6] and a host of other reasons.

PA certainly tests, through Sports Integrity Australia. They even bothered to pull me aside for a piss test even though I’m hardly championship material. The testing works and PA has at least 8 lifters currently serving bans. I don’t think APU has busted anyone yet, which is strange as there will always be at least a couple of doped lifters competing as fake nattys irrespective of the rules.

In WA, GPC certainly runs some exciting meets with good attendance. I’d join in flash if they did drug testing. The wraps and mono thing plus tippy toe benches makes it a bit hard to compare it with raw meets in the other feds. But by far the most popular.

As for the refereeing, PA is definitely the toughest. If you don’t bury the squats you get red lighted.

Last edited: