• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I've assisted alot of people this last few years just with deadlift technique alone. I fine Most people who fear them, can't perform the technique safely due to lack of experience or poor teachings elsewhere.

It's not dangerous. It's just dangerous to do them incorrectly. Stiff legs are more risky than regular deadlifts.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

No male who lifts consistently deadlifts less than 150kg.

Prove me wrong.

ive had guys come through me shanty gym who cant lol. 150 kgs might be nothing to you but thats cos ur quite a big unit and have trained for over a decade. Point taken on the words"lifts consistently" but some guys kinda do but just spin their wheels. The net has helped me a lot over the years research and experiment with different methods,most peeps apart from the srs ones dont bother. Just go in and lift.

Last edited:
ive had guys come through me shanty gym who cant lol. 150 kgs might be nothing to you but thats cos ur quite a big unit and have trained for over a decade. Point taken on the words"lifts consistently" but some guys kinda do but just spin their wheels. The net has helped me a lot over the years research and experiment with different methods,most peeps apart from the srs ones dont bother. Just go in and lift.
Haha yeah fair point. Can almost lift it one handed haha

Nothing wrong with deadlifts of any kind. Used appropriately. I would argue that for longevity, potentially more important than squats.

You are covered with those variations though.

More important than Squats?
Sorry don't agree. Ever hear the saying when a boxer or athlete loses his/her legs their finished?
John Grimek as you know was a strongman, powerlifter, bodybuilder at York. When asked why He still did heavy Squats at an advanced age He said, I like to go dancing.

Depends how you deadlift too doesn't it. Haha.

My dead's are very leg dominant. Lots of knee bend for me. And easier for me to recover from. But that's probably not a Norm I know.

Yeah squats are probably no. 1

And of course I know John Grimek, absolute legend. Probably not a single significant old school physical culturist I don't know about.

Most young lifters would do well to listen to his advice over any of the juicey pros of today's era.

Depends how you deadlift too doesn't it. Haha.

My dead's are very leg dominant. Lots of knee bend for me. And easier for me to recover from. But that's probably not a Norm I know.

Yeah squats are probably no. 1

And of course I know John Grimek, absolute legend. Probably not a single significant old school physical culturist I don't know about.

Most young lifters would do well to listen to his advice over any of the juicey pros of today's era.

Yeah if it works for you that's all that matters. I actually used to work in a Gym and most young guys did leg press, some did squat in the smith machine.
There were a few who did deadlifts but it was not a hard core gym.
One of the young guys who was also a Trainer screamed like ronnie coleman. Honestly was a fucking idiot.
Some women complained so He was warned but still carried on. Did not brother me personaly but was a prick anyway. Lazy ****.
So I'm rambling on here.. Haha

Yeah if it works for you that's all that matters. I actually used to work in a Gym and most young guys did leg press, some did squat in the smith machine.
There were a few who did deadlifts but it was not a hard core gym.
One of the young guys who was also a Trainer screamed like ronnie coleman. Honestly was a fucking idiot.
Some women complained so He was warned but still carried on. Did not brother me personaly but was a prick anyway. Lazy ****.
So I'm rambling on here.. Haha
Haha gotta love those old commercial gym stories. I'm sure we've all got em.

I used to train at the UNSW gym. Haha. Yep...crazy viewing some arvos. Blokes would come in Friday's all dressed up and just destroy thier arms and chest. Mostly arms. Then head to the pub.

Not sure I'd call SLDs a more complicated movement. More of a BB movement - they require more feel and mind muscle connection to load up the Hamstrings. When you do a lot of Deadlifting it can become harder to get that feel for SLDs.

Not sure I'd call SLDs a more complicated movement. More of a BB movement - they require more feel and mind muscle connection to load up the Hamstrings. When you do a lot of Deadlifting it can become harder to get that feel for SLDs.
Agree.

Also MOST people go too heavy.

My deadlift finally became of real use the other day. 2 blokes took their sail boat out and they came back in, put it on their trolley and were trying to get it through this small gap where the gate was. It was too wide and they were stuck so I offered some help, they both went one end of the boat and I just lifted the other end over the obstacles. Not the heaviest thing in the world but needed someone with some strength to get it where they wanted it.

My deadlift finally became of real use the other day. 2 blokes took their sail boat out and they came back in, put it on their trolley and were trying to get it through this small gap where the gate was. It was too wide and they were stuck so I offered some help, they both went one end of the boat and I just lifted the other end over the obstacles. Not the heaviest thing in the world but needed someone with some strength to get it where they wanted it.

You da man

yeh ive learnt so much since posting this. I just had a form overhaul from my mate whos a god at deadlifting. learnt that i had the bar too far from my body so i was artificially extending the range of motion and causing the bar to swing into me. also learnt that i was deadlifitng with my hips to low so wasnt engaging my hamstrings enough and wasnt putting my body in the most powerful position.

Yeah it really is a 1 in a million lifters milestone aye.

But I wanna know his stats.
Bodyweight
Time lifting

So i am 189cm, 108kg around 16-19% body fat. im 19

My current prs for deadlift is 195 for 2, pr for bench is 130 for 5. i dont squat very often but my best squad ever was 160 for 2. I have been training for about 18 months

So i am 189cm, 108kg around 16-19% body fat. im 19

My current prs for deadlift is 195 for 2, pr for bench is 130 for 5. i dont squat very often but my best squad ever was 160 for 2. I have been training for about 18 months

i havent actually ever maxed out any of my lifts. I just dont see the point maxing out

That's it man. It's all about learning. And being patient.

i havent actually ever maxed out any of my lifts. I just dont see the point maxing out
This is wise young man. You're growing. So keep growing. Like you need progress, but you don't need to measure that progress with a gut wrenching 1RM. If your work sets are getting heavier, you good.

That's it man. It's all about learning. And being patient.

buddy would you mind checking out my new thread

http://ausbb.com/showthread.php?t=34684

im still trying to learn about myself and my body, but insight from more experienced lifters is a gold mine. i dont really care about these people saying "deadlifts are bad dont do them" i ger a huge amount of gratification from doing them and im not going to stop. Also the strength progression for me is more noticable then muscle gain. so i love getting stronger, size and mass are coming along well. gained around 6-7kg of lean mass in the past 6 months on 300mg of test e a week.