• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fatboy

Hey all,

I’m after some advice/tips on weight lifting belts as I have never owned or used one before and am not an experienced bodybuilder.

At what sort of weight do you start using a belt for your heavy compound lifts and does it stop you building a stronger core?

Any advice/tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

A weightlifting belt should be used judiciously and only when you really need one, and you only really need one whenever there's a heavy load on your spine.

Using lifting belt depends upon your level of lifting weight. You should not use weight lifting belt if you're just a beginner, because the core function of weight lifting belt is to provide support to your spine and back muscles while lifting heavy weight. Instead of focusing on advanced workout, weight lifters should focus on other aspects of weight lifting where they can train their muscles much for facing upcoming challenges in workout.

I got a belt but never use it. I hate wearing it. I do use straps though for heavy DB rows. Sounds a bit funny but i have small hands & my grip does give in too quickly. straps allow me to train heavy & concentrate on my lats. Sorry but i have pussy hands but a few women have said i have a "nice touch"...;)

Hey all,

I’m after some advice/tips on weight lifting belts as I have never owned or used one before and am not an experienced bodybuilder.

At what sort of weight do you start using a belt for your heavy compound lifts and does it stop you building a stronger core?

Any advice/tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Fred Hatfield recommended no belt at less than 80% of max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d suggest the ‘Gym Reaper Quick Lock Weightlifting Belt’ as it is made up of high-quality material. It helps to reduce stress on the lower back and prevents back hyperextension during overhead lifts.