• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rev

G'day,

It's been a while since I was on AUSBB. A bit of history: I'm 53, 84kg and been lifting for about 10 years or so consistently, but in the last few years (particularly afer my bike accident the frequency is now daily). I have only got back to doing squats in the last 9 months (re: reluctant after motorbike accident) but to be honest after the first few years of training I went away from compound movements and strength training and concentrated on physique and body parts. I have been training 6 days a week for the last few years (5:30am every morning but not Sunday) and I'm conscious that many think that's too much for an older lifter, but I would find it hard to give-up mornings in the gym and I'm not getting injuries (much). I'm looking to improve deads, squats and maybe even bench - though my squat is my weakest, by far, and my major priority. I am currently doing deads twice a week, bench 1-2 a week and hardly ever do deads - I have done i day of deads in jan and loifted 205kg and probs could have done 210kg.

So here's my question: My squat has lifted from 135kg in March, 2019 to 160kg (this week) my deadlift from 180kg in early 2019 to 205kg (this month), and my bench has always been strong and now sits at 140kg (last week). Do you think I can still make sustained strength gains, and if so, how long do you imagine (from experience) that progression lasts age-wise (for those older than me). I would like to get my squat to 170+, and my dead to 220kg. Thanks for your thoughts. Cheers.

Some good lifts there mate.
I don’t see why you can’t keep progressing.

I don’t perform heavy regular dead’s or benches anymore.
I’m conscious of injuries these days

Trap bar dead for me, front squats and dips.
If I back squat I keep it light.

G'day,

It's been a while since I was on AUSBB. A bit of history: I'm 53, 84kg and been lifting for about 10 years or so consistently, but in the last few years (particularly afer my bike accident the frequency is now daily). I have only got back to doing squats in the last 9 months (re: reluctant after motorbike accident) but to be honest after the first few years of training I went away from compound movements and strength training and concentrated on physique and body parts. I have been training 6 days a week for the last few years (5:30am every morning but not Sunday) and I'm conscious that many think that's too much for an older lifter, but I would find it hard to give-up mornings in the gym and I'm not getting injuries (much). I'm looking to improve deads, squats and maybe even bench - though my squat is my weakest, by far, and my major priority. I am currently doing deads twice a week, bench 1-2 a week and hardly ever do deads - I have done i day of deads in jan and loifted 205kg and probs could have done 210kg.

So here's my question: My squat has lifted from 135kg in March, 2019 to 160kg (this week) my deadlift from 180kg in early 2019 to 205kg (this month), and my bench has always been strong and now sits at 140kg (last week). Do you think I can still make sustained strength gains, and if so, how long do you imagine (from experience) that progression lasts age-wise (for those older than me). I would like to get my squat to 170+, and my dead to 220kg. Thanks for your thoughts. Cheers.
Absolutely no reason you cant continue to progress. Technical proficiency in the lifts, although always important, should be considered a major if not top priority.

A guy called David Ricks. Hes a freak, he squats high 200's if not still over 300kg at a bit over 100kg bodyweight. Hes 61yo i think, recently set new PB's on said lift, too...

Anyone, of any age can get stronger.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Absolutely no reason you cant continue to progress. Technical proficiency in the lifts, although always important, should be considered a major if not top priority.

A guy called David Ricks. Hes a freak, he squats high 200's if not still over 300kg at a bit over 100kg bodyweight. Hes 61yo i think, recently set new PB's on said lift, too...

Anyone, of any age can get stronger.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Generally as you age you get weaker and slower. Some people get weaker and slower at less of a rate but that's generally what happens. Powerlifting in my country takes this into account when ascertaining qualifying marks,the older you are,the less of a benchmark you need to hit.

Last edited:
G'day,

looking good mate,good bench!

Thanks, for those replies.
I stagnated for a while in the gym and mentally just assumed I wouldn't make may improvements agreeing with the obvious logic of Bannedgerry. It's just that I had long service leave recently and made a concerntrated effort to lift heavier which I haven't done for a while and I saw those gains and surprised myself. I'm taking it a bit easier now sorta de-loading, but been wondering if I might unlock some more gains before age makes that unlikely/impossible. Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated.

You may not have hit your peak yet strength wise,notice i said"generally" people deteriorate. Speaking for myself,i cant ran as fast but have no idea if ill beat all time pbs from 5 years ago based on a few factors.

I am a little younger than you at 45 but certainly no teenager. Trained in my 20’s and early 30’s then had a 10 year break from the gym and came back a few years ago. I have been making solid progress for the last couple of years and definitely have more to go. I think the key with older lifters is to be clever with your programming. Keeping it simple with slow consistent progression and plenty of deloads will allow you to make progress but hopefully stay injury free.
I see some of the younger blokes in the gym doing lots of amrap sets or continuously maxing out and sometimes think I should get after it a bit more. But I know if I was to train that way I would eventually break.
You have some really solid numbers but I would guess you have more to come.

You may not have hit your peak yet strength wise,notice i said"generally" people deteriorate. Speaking for myself,i cant ran as fast but have no idea if ill beat all time pbs from 5 years ago based on a few factors.

Yeah, I think that's right, the principle or law of deterioration is sound, but you're right, it depends where each person is at. I feel like I'm getting towards my peak and maybe it's a delayed peak because of starting later in life. As Simo74 notes, it's seems training and avoiding injuries is a significant factor for older lifters. I managed bursitis in the left shoulder from a bike accident 2 years ago, and a bit of tendonitis in the left elbow other than that I have been blessed with no injuries. I'm having to learn to de-load more consistently as I like going hard. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and encouragement. Cheers.

Yeah, I think that's right, the principle or law of deterioration is sound, but you're right, it depends where each person is at. I feel like I'm getting towards my peak and maybe it's a delayed peak because of starting later in life. As Simo74 notes, it's seems training and avoiding injuries is a significant factor for older lifters. I managed bursitis in the left shoulder from a bike accident 2 years ago, and a bit of tendonitis in the left elbow other than that I have been blessed with no injuries. I'm having to learn to de-load more consistently as I like going hard. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and encouragement. Cheers.

All good,start a log if u want,im getting back in the saddle as well,i didn't start weight training until I was 35 and ive had basically 4.5 years off but I enjoy weight training,i feel it gives me an edge in the type of work I do and I like competing. If you are drug free your numbers are really good,you should seriously think about competing in either PA or the APU as its age friendly and I think you would be surprised how quickly you get up the ranks if you stick at it as you age.

Yes, drugs free. I have a sedentary but taxing job (pastor) and although I'm a tad competitive, comps on weekends don't really work for me, though I did go in my first amateur club comp last year on a Saturday and that was a great experience.