• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stiff 2G

SuperDooper Member
So the Big Stick came up with a unique diet.

most recently I generally train 23 hrs fasted as I eat after training, I generally and mostly only eat one meal a day, and a low carb or zero carb meal at that. Post training meal consists of steak, or mince meat patties cooked up on the BBQ, sometimes I will add a fired egg or three and a green salad with some cubed cheese for variety.

Any thoughts or experience with fasted training like this

I see no difference between training full or empty.

Your body will do more than your mind will allow it to and some sessions are shitty for no reason at all.

YMMV
As in opinions will vary
As in what will work for one will not work for another for any or no particular reasons.
the reality?

you cannot make goats piss out of gasoline

Last edited:
If you eat nutritiously dense food you generally don't get hungry that often. If you eat processed garbage then you tend to get hungry all the time as your body is craving nutrition, however if you are feeding it nutrient devoid calories you will be forever hungry and have cravings, feel flat when training and lack energy.

Keep in mind that calories and nutrition are two different things.

A person can eat 5000 calories a day and get almost zero nutrition or you could eat 1000 calories a day and get all the nutrition you require. The first person will still be hungry and have constant cravings while the second will be satisfied till his body requires further nutrition.

That's why nutrient dense foods leave you satisfied and full for much longer.

Humans never ate three or five meals a day, or never had snacks, it's a new phenomenon created by food companies who want to sell you all this unnecessary stuff, my daughter is 16 and she naturally eats one meal a day (I have never told her to do it), usually dinner which generally consists of meat/fish/eggs/vegetables/salad.

it's actually how we are meant to eat as a species.

It's not set in stone, If I get hungry (I mean hungry, not bored feeling like I could eat something) then I will eat something.

However if you find that you are hungry all the time or too weak to train after not eating for 20 minutes it's probably a good time to take a good hard look at the quality of the food that you are consuming, chances are you are eating nutrient devoid processed foods, or low quality meat such as store bought chicken or pork brought up on GMO feeds, or simply eating foods that humans were never meant to eat.

You could also be lacking essential electrolytes which will manifest in feeling weak and flat during workouts.

Last edited:
Fasted training everyday

I do have some preworkout aminos though
-beta alanine
-aakg
-citrulline malate

Let's face it, would any Pro Athlete train fasted? Not if they could do otherwise.
Training for strength or hypertrophy fasted is not optimal.

Let's face it, would any Pro Athlete train fasted? Not if they could do otherwise.
Training for strength or hypertrophy fasted is not optimal.
So long as your lifting output isn't diminished and your overall protein consumption maximises muscle protein synthesis I don't see how fasted training can be dismissed point blank as "not optimal".

So long as your lifting output isn't diminished and your overall protein consumption maximises muscle protein synthesis I don't see how fasted training can be dismissed point blank as "not optimal".

Did fasted for years at 4AM, sometimes with just a coffee and banana in my system - even that wasn't optimal as I'd still fade towards the end. A carb dessert (Oats) the night before cured that fading.

Did fasted for years at 4AM, sometimes with just a coffee and banana in my system - even that wasn't optimal as I'd still fade towards the end. A carb dessert (Oats) the night before cured that fading.
As I said in the other thread, optimal training and nutrition is specific to the individual.

There would be someone out there training the house down at 4am with nothing but a banana and coffee in their system. You have no way of proving that style of training and nutrition isn't optimal for anyone else but yourself.

The assumption is training for hypertrophy or strength - hitting high points (PBs) then building. If your fading you can be doing better (greater high points).

I guess Bro splits prolly allow fasted training's a bit more.

I don’t like training fasted, but I don’t like full stomach either.
3-4 hrs before last meal is good.

The assumption is training for hypertrophy or strength - hitting high points (PBs) then building. If your fading you can be doing better (greater high points).

I guess Bro splits prolly allow fasted training's a bit more.
How many people want to go on a dreamer bulk with hypertrophy and strength being the goals to the exclusion of all others and how many people want to get more muscular and stronger whilst retaining some semblance of aesthetics?

If your training wholly and solely for strength and hypertrophy then carbs and fed training sessions are probably most optimal. If you're trying to strike a balance between strength, hypertrophy and aesthetics then fasted training a low carb might be more optimal.

How many people want to go on a dreamer bulk with hypertrophy and strength being the goals to the exclusion of all others and how many people want to get more muscular and stronger whilst retaining some semblance of aesthetics?

If your training wholly and solely for strength and hypertrophy then carbs and fed training sessions are probably most optimal. If you're trying to strike a balance between strength, hypertrophy and aesthetics then fasted training a low carb might be more optimal.

Agree.

There have been a lot of studies on this recently. Some studies have shown benefits for fasted training. There may be a reduced level of performance within the session, but it might improve endurance.