• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
It is.

Though its a great idea, in reality its FULL of zealots. Are they all like that? No. But alot of them are.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You may be right Mick, the exclusivity and group element of the clubs do make it cult like. The one thing they seem to have gotten right though is the community / group nature of the training. Because people
all train and compete which each other (or their own best). This drives a positive environment for training and that can lead to improvements which in itself lead to people believing and committing to the ideology. It’s like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Any fad that safely* puts a barbell in peoples hands is ok by me

*according to some of my friends in the industry a lot of the unsafe cowboys have been weeded out by increased competition from the likes of F45

Yer more people getting under the barbell is a good thing, especially when in a few months they give up and sell their stuff cheap on gum tree !!!

Back in 1995 I was very interested in it’s development; the ethos was to enhance cardio respiratory endurance stamina strength and flexibility ( metabolic conditioning “METCON”) which lifting weights does in a certain manner;
perform an exercise to MMF and move to the next exercise without rest the duration of the workouts was dependent on how well you are conditioned.
A form of activity Arthur Jones pioneered and named back in the 70’s
google; project total conditioning (PTC)

The only issue I had with CrossFit was or is, is that you cannot use a barbell safely.
But worked hard and properly your metabolic conditioning was improved substantially in that the above “ethos” was attained extremely quickly and produced very strong fit people.

Glassman for whatever reason (and probably very smart) decided to turn “CrossFit” into a sport and it became extremely successful up until injuries became an issue.

in 2000 I saw the writing on the wall.

crossfit is not a cult ffs

The idea is sound but the tools used inferior for this purpose

Last edited:
Alot of the fails at the games are a direct result of massive fatigue. Half of em look dead by the end. Haha

If you’re really interested in weight lifting history then read PTC.
this experiment was and is the only one of its kind.
a study like that will never be produced again and if you read the results your view on “exercise” will change

Thats such a shit and pointless video lol. Imagine having that kind of time to produce that.

Back in 1995 I was very interested in it’s development; the ethos was to enhance cardio respiratory endurance stamina strength and flexibility ( metabolic conditioning “METCON”) which lifting weights does in a certain manner;
perform an exercise to MMF and move to the next exercise without rest the duration of the workouts was dependent on how well you are conditioned.
A form of activity Arthur Jones pioneered and named back in the 70’s
google; project total conditioning (PTC)

The only issue I had with CrossFit was or is, is that you cannot use a barbell safely.
But worked hard and properly your metabolic conditioning was improved substantially in that the above “ethos” was attained extremely quickly and produced very strong fit people.

Glassman for whatever reason (and probably very smart) decided to turn “CrossFit” into a sport and it became extremely successful up until injuries became an issue.

in 2000 I saw the writing on the wall.

crossfit is not a cult ffs

The idea is sound but the tools used inferior for this purpose

Are the tools inferior or is it that the movements used are explosive by nature and also technical and take time to learn. Add fatigue to the mix and it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

It’s all of it.

Like powerlifting it’s about using certain exercises moving weight quickly over the shortest ROM, but in CrossFit®️ it’s not one ...rep.
Actually I really don’t see what all the fuss is about.
its a sport, and it’s very risky.

You may be right Mick, the exclusivity and group element of the clubs do make it cult like. The one thing they seem to have gotten right though is the community / group nature of the training. Because people
all train and compete which each other (or their own best). This drives a positive environment for training and that can lead to improvements which in itself lead to people believing and committing to the ideology. It’s like a self fulfilling prophecy.

This is pretty much the crux of the matter. Weightlifting and Powerlifting are very narrow in focus and take an intense mental and physical focus/dedication over months and years to achieve a decent competitive level.

Despite the efforts of federations, they are not team sports. Even direct competition against another person is pretty much secondary compared to the lifter vs the bar.

In both sports (wl & pl) there is one person on the platform (yes, sometimes two platforms run concurrently but not in a competitive way, just to get through a large number of lifters) with one bar.

In crossfit, there are multiple athletes on the field and often multiple teams. This format appeals to the masses. It's easier to understand. It takes no effort so see who's "winning".

In crossfit there are not just two lifts (weightlifting) or just three lifts (powerlifting). In powerlifting, things get a bit boring after watching the first flight of squats go through, knowing that you got another hour of this coming.

In crossfit there is never a goal for a single max lift (as failing a lift usually happens at the end of a long set of singles).

In crossfit there are no set "must do" lifts. There are a huge variety of exercises that may (and usually do) change in every competition.

Crossfit also, and let me put this delicately, is a sausage and vag fest. Compare a field of crossfit athletes (shirtless, crop tops, bootahy shorts, six packs everywhere) to the unflattering spandex encased phatfuks in wl & pl. It's the equivalent to beach volleyball. Come on. No one watches women's volleyball to see skilled athletes in action. NO ONE!!!

It's the modern stadium based motocross compared to the old school "real mud and dirt out in a farmer's paddock" motocross. Sheeple don't like to think too much. Single athlete sports are too difficult to empathise with.