• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Mmmmmm. Millet. Gotta have my millet.

The guidelines are intended for every human on the planet and, as such, don't work.

On the other hand, 2/3 of the planet live on, barely over or under the poverty line. The other 1/3 generally eat processed crap and don't exercise.

So its a more complicated picture than a food pyramid.

I think you raise a really good point here woody. how is it possible to have a general guideline when what you eat it is heavily dependent availability and type of food which changes based on geographical region, social factors, wealth etc etc .

I don't drink any juice or soda so to me that's a lot of sugar

Depends on the fruit really. You can eat dumb shit like bananas, apples or oranges and yeah you'll have a lot of sugar. Or you could be sensible and eat fruit like capsicum, tomatoes, berries etc

Depends on the fruit really. You can eat dumb shit like bananas, apples or oranges and yeah you'll have a lot of sugar. Or you could be sensible and eat fruit like capsicum, tomatoes, berries etc
Plenty of dumb people out there though !

I think you raise a really good point here woody. how is it possible to have a general guideline when what you eat it is heavily dependent availability and type of food which changes based on geographical region, social factors, wealth etc etc .

Thats why it’s a general guideline and not a specific food by food requirement of exactly what to eat.

in reality it’s better than what 90%+ of people eat. When I go to the supermarket I’m always amazed how unhealthy almost everyone looks and how shit the food is in their baskets.

A bloke I work with from America has to travel the world advising people for his job. He says the only place in the world that eats as much shit food as the USA is Australia.

Yeah I know, bloody apples and bananas causing the obesity epidemic in Australia.

I'll stop being lazy, this is copies from the WHO website

[h=3]For adults[/h]A healthy diet includes the following:

• Fruit, vegetables, legumes (e.g. lentils and beans), nuts and whole grains (e.g. unprocessed maize, millet, oats, wheat and brown rice).
  • At least 400 g (i.e. five portions) of fruit and vegetables per day (2), excluding potatoes, sweet potatoes, cassava and other starchy roots.
  • Less than 10% of total energy intake from free sugars (2, 7), which is equivalent to 50 g (or about 12 level teaspoons) for a person of healthy body weight consuming about 2000 calories per day, but ideally is less than 5% of total energy intake for additional health benefits (7). Free sugars are all sugars added to foods or drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, as well as sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.
  • Less than 30% of total energy intake from fats (1, 2, 3). Unsaturated fats (found in fish, avocado and nuts, and in sunflower, soybean, canola and olive oils) are preferable to saturated fats (found in fatty meat, butter, palm and coconut oil, cream, cheese, ghee and lard) and trans-fats of all kinds, including both industrially-produced trans-fats (found in baked and fried foods, and pre-packaged snacks and foods, such as frozen pizza, pies, cookies, biscuits, wafers, and cooking oils and spreads) and ruminant trans-fats (found in meat and dairy foods from ruminant animals, such as cows, sheep, goats and camels). It is suggested that the intake of saturated fats be reduced to less than 10% of total energy intake and trans-fats to less than 1% of total energy intake (5). In particular, industrially-produced trans-fats are not part of a healthy diet and should be avoided (4, 6).
  • Less than 5 g of salt (equivalent to about one teaspoon) per day (8). Salt should be iodized.

Nothing on there that looks too wrong to me.
The advice on fats is stupid, zero causal evidence linking dietary fats and heart disease

Its cited in the post above man, just read it

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/healthy-diet

A healthy diet helps to protect against malnutrition in all its forms, as well as noncommunicable diseases (NCDs), including such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke and cancer.
Unhealthy diet and lack of physical activity are leading global risks to health.
Healthy dietary practices start early in life – breastfeeding fosters healthy growth and improves cognitive development, and may have longer term health benefits such as reducing the risk of becoming overweight or obese and developing NCDs later in life.
Energy intake (calories) should be in balance with energy expenditure. To avoid unhealthy weight gain, total fat should not exceed 30% of total energy intake (1, 2, 3). Intake of saturated fats should be less than 10% of total energy intake, and intake of trans-fats less than 1% of total energy intake, with a shift in fat consumption away from saturated fats and trans-fats to unsaturated fats (3), and towards the goal of eliminating industrially-produced trans-fats (4, 5, 6).
Limiting intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake (2, 7) is part of a healthy diet. A further reduction to less than 5% of total energy intake is suggested for additional health benefits (7).
Keeping salt intake to less than 5 g per day (equivalent to sodium intake of less than 2 g per day) helps to prevent hypertension, and reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke in the adult population (8).
WHO Member States have agreed to reduce the global population’s intake of salt by 30% by 2025; they have also agreed to halt the rise in diabetes and obesity in adults and adolescents as well as in childhood overweight by 2025 (9, 10).

Ok then, lets analyse this one sentence at a time

Energy intake (calories) should be in balance with energy expenditure
Agreed

To avoid unhealthy weight gain, total fat should not exceed 30% of total energy intake (1, 2, 3)
Utter nonsense, if calories are controlled (as per the first sentence) it doesn't matter if 5% or 80% of calories are from fat.

Lets have a look at their references 1, 2 and 3

1)Hooper L, Abdelhamid A, Bunn D, Brown T, Summerbell CD, Skeaff CM. Effects of total fat intake on body weight. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; (8):CD011834.
Absolute junk science, all this shows is people who reduce calories lost weight. In no way shape or form does this study demonstrate that limiting fats to 30% of calorie intake is inherently healthy.
2) Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases: report of a Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation. WHO Technical Report Series, No. 916. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2003.
This isn't a study, doesn't belong as a reference
3) Fats and fatty acids in human nutrition: report of an expert consultation. FAO Food and Nutrition Paper 91. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations; 2010
lol this is a extract from that study "There was convincing evidence that energy balance is critical to maintaining healthy body weight and ensuring optimal nutrient intakes, regardless of macronutrient distribution of energy as % total fat and % total carbohydrates" so once again this study doesn't not substantiate their 30% claim one iota

Next sentence
Intake of saturated fats should be less than 10% of total energy intake, and intake of trans-fats less than 1% of total energy intake, with a shift in fat consumption away from saturated fats and trans-fats to unsaturated fats (3)
I'm not going to stand up for trans fats, they're junk but I'm interested to see what the FAO report (3) has to say about saturated fats and why they should be limited to 10% of calorie intake for a 'healthy diet'

The primary reference to saturated fats in the report states that saturated fats are best replaced with PUSA due to the improvements seen in LDL/HDL ratios. However once again nothing to indicate that limiting saturated fats to 10% of calorific intake is inherently health. It also states explicitly that replacing saturated fats with carbohydrates doesn't improve cholesterol ratios

Furthermore the following 7 studies all refute the hypothesis that saturated fats raise cholesterol

The Bogalusa Heart Study

Tecumseh Study

Evans County Study

Israel Ischemic Heart Study

Health Professionals Follow-Up

Western Electric Study

Japanese Living In Hawaii Study

So like I said there's absolutely no evidence that limiting total fats to 30% of calorie intake nor saturated fats to 10% is inherently healthy

Given it is only a guide, would this not also mean that there is also little or no evidence to suggest these numbers are bad for you, therefore it’s not necessarily wrong (just not supported by studies) ?

It's certainly possible to follow these guidelines and be perfectly healthy but that doesn't mean it's good advice.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and I think it demonstrates an exceptional waste of resources that billions of tax payers dollars across the western world are spent demonising saturated fats and dietary cholesterol when the scientific evidence is inconclusive.

Is Conventional Nutritional Advice Correct

What is the best age to transfer kittens onto adult food?I have heard some differing advice from 6 months onwards or some will say wait until they are at least 12 months?