• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
Let's discuss if the latest version of conventional nutritional advise is correct??

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Keep in mind the following:

- The food pyramid has changed several times in recent times

- The general population seems to be suffering from more (diet related) health problems than they did 50 to 100 years ago.

- 100 years ago type 2 diabetes was unheard of

- We once though that cholesterol causes heat attacks

- Massive increase in mental illnesses and child (and adult) behaviour problems.

- It was once common knowledge that the earth was flat

Will people look back at 2019 in another 20 or even 50 years and laugh just like we look back at the flat earth theory?

conventional nutritional advise

Mick what are you referring to when you say this. Government advise, industry advice, community / family advise. Is there a convention or is all advice dependent on back ground and upbringing ?

Mick what are you referring to when you say this. Government advise, industry advice, community / family advise. Is there a convention or is all advice dependent on back ground and upbringing ?

Conventional 2019 scientific advice, food pyramid, world health organisation, current recommendations for healthy eating.

It's largely correct. Where people go wrong is lack of exercise and not putting down the fork

It's largely correct. Where people go wrong is lack of exercise and not putting down the fork

That is pretty much it.

The way I see it is we all react differently to everything why isn’t what we eat any different.

Basic recommendations are just that, “basic”
there’s no conspiracy it’s just working it out, working out what fits, what works.

One thing I will say is, 2000kcal a day for a sedentary middle aged woman with a desk job photocopying all day is far, far too much

In terms of mental illness I feel diet isn’t a huge contributor but a minute part of a manifold problem
could be;
a growing population?
Better diagnosis?
trying to incorporate them into society as opposed to hiding them or terminate them.
from my little world I see a lot of ignorance and stupidity which is encouraged by our modern society.
but I digress.

I'll stop being lazy, this is copies from the WHO website

[h=3]For adults[/h]A healthy diet includes the following:

• Fruit, vegetables, legumes (e.g. lentils and beans), nuts and whole grains (e.g. unprocessed maize, millet, oats, wheat and brown rice).
  • At least 400 g (i.e. five portions) of fruit and vegetables per day (2), excluding potatoes, sweet potatoes, cassava and other starchy roots.
  • Less than 10% of total energy intake from free sugars (2, 7), which is equivalent to 50 g (or about 12 level teaspoons) for a person of healthy body weight consuming about 2000 calories per day, but ideally is less than 5% of total energy intake for additional health benefits (7). Free sugars are all sugars added to foods or drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, as well as sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.
  • Less than 30% of total energy intake from fats (1, 2, 3). Unsaturated fats (found in fish, avocado and nuts, and in sunflower, soybean, canola and olive oils) are preferable to saturated fats (found in fatty meat, butter, palm and coconut oil, cream, cheese, ghee and lard) and trans-fats of all kinds, including both industrially-produced trans-fats (found in baked and fried foods, and pre-packaged snacks and foods, such as frozen pizza, pies, cookies, biscuits, wafers, and cooking oils and spreads) and ruminant trans-fats (found in meat and dairy foods from ruminant animals, such as cows, sheep, goats and camels). It is suggested that the intake of saturated fats be reduced to less than 10% of total energy intake and trans-fats to less than 1% of total energy intake (5). In particular, industrially-produced trans-fats are not part of a healthy diet and should be avoided (4, 6).
  • Less than 5 g of salt (equivalent to about one teaspoon) per day (8). Salt should be iodized.

Nothing on there that looks too wrong to me.

I'll stop being lazy, this is copies from the WHO website

For adults

A healthy diet includes the following:

• Fruit, vegetables, legumes (e.g. lentils and beans), nuts and whole grains (e.g. unprocessed maize, millet, oats, wheat and brown rice).
  • At least 400 g (i.e. five portions) of fruit and vegetables per day (2), excluding potatoes, sweet potatoes, cassava and other starchy roots.
  • Less than 10% of total energy intake from free sugars (2, 7), which is equivalent to 50 g (or about 12 level teaspoons) for a person of healthy body weight consuming about 2000 calories per day, but ideally is less than 5% of total energy intake for additional health benefits (7). Free sugars are all sugars added to foods or drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, as well as sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.
  • Less than 30% of total energy intake from fats (1, 2, 3). Unsaturated fats (found in fish, avocado and nuts, and in sunflower, soybean, canola and olive oils) are preferable to saturated fats (found in fatty meat, butter, palm and coconut oil, cream, cheese, ghee and lard) and trans-fats of all kinds, including both industrially-produced trans-fats (found in baked and fried foods, and pre-packaged snacks and foods, such as frozen pizza, pies, cookies, biscuits, wafers, and cooking oils and spreads) and ruminant trans-fats (found in meat and dairy foods from ruminant animals, such as cows, sheep, goats and camels). It is suggested that the intake of saturated fats be reduced to less than 10% of total energy intake and trans-fats to less than 1% of total energy intake (5). In particular, industrially-produced trans-fats are not part of a healthy diet and should be avoided (4, 6).
  • Less than 5 g of salt (equivalent to about one teaspoon) per day (8). Salt should be iodized.

Nothing on there that looks too wrong to me.

Agree. Nothing outrageous there.

... millet, ....

Mmmmmm. Millet. Gotta have my millet.

The guidelines are intended for every human on the planet and, as such, don't work.

On the other hand, 2/3 of the planet live on, barely over or under the poverty line. The other 1/3 generally eat processed crap and don't exercise.

So its a more complicated picture than a food pyramid.

I don't drink any juice or soda so to me that's a lot of sugar

Do you eat any processed foods or have milk in your coffee or cereal or bread or biscuits or any type of sauce on your food etc etc
Have you watched 'that sugar movie' it really is not hard for most adults to consume that much sugar. If you only eat whole foods and drink water then you probably aren't getting that much but most adults dont eat like that.