• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

dustman007

Ive been lifting for 15 months and am getting painful lower back on my deadlifts... saw a coach who helped me a lot with my form but it still hurts for days afterwards. Also if i do a big squat session i get pain.

I was thinking to try a belt to provide some support for my lower back.

Any recommendations?

Loadedlifting has inzer and pioneer
Titan has longhorn

Leaning towards inzer as i seem to see their name everywhere in forums and reddit. It also looks like a nice tidy belt.

Cheers

Inzer Forever Lever belt.

Nothing will outlast it. Had mine for 5 years... barely aged at all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I was leaning towards the single pronge belt as i read levers took effort to adjust and people use it looser on deadlifts...

I disagree.

I use the same position for all weight work man. Some people find them a little tight on deadlifts......i just got used to it. Lol.

But!!! Its 100% personal preference. I owned a shitty old hand me down belt with a prong for a little while before i got the lever belt. I just prefered the lever. Much easier to put it on and take it off...around 3x easier. You only end up adjusting once or twice a year if youre doing the whole bulk/cut thing.

You need to figure out why you're getting lower back pain, not mask it with a belt

Exactly. A belt won't help bad lifting form, which probably is your real problem.

That said, a belt is also not something you use to "support your back". That's not, contrary to bro science, what a belt is for. A belt is used to brace against, not support your lower back.

A belt should start out a touch loose and then, prior to lifting the weight off the floor or off a stand, you push out into the belt. You should, if you are doing it right, feel not just your belly pushing out but your sides as well.

That said, I'm not saying to not get a belt and use one. They will make lifting safer just from having your torso braced to avoid spinal shift. But if you don't use it properly you can do some damage.

Best belts to use are powerlifting belts, because they are designed for heavy bracing. Lever belt is so much easier and faster to use, once you get your lever fitted to the right holes in the belt. Some use prong belts, which are a pain to put on and take off, as they say they can make them tighter or looser just by choosing a different notch in the belt. But if you are using it looser or tighter in a workout, you aren't using it properly anyway. Just get a lever belt. End of story.

To fix your lower back, your back needs to get stronger. Try paused hypers for the lower back. Seated rows for upper back.

Last edited:
You don’t need a belt. You need to see an EP to sort out your stability/mobility issues.

If you get a belt anyway (it won’t help), get a inzer or titan in 10mm.

Grab a hard ball and roll we’re it hurts.

Could just be your IT band.

for myself over the years I’ve noticed if I have knee pain or low back pain pushing on muscle spasm in their respective areas of the it band fixed it instantly.

You don’t need a belt. You need to see an EP to sort out your stability/mobility issues.

If you get a belt anyway (it won’t help), get a inzer or titan in 10mm.

Hey Coach,

Whats an EP?

I saw a sports doctor... does work for the reds rugby and qld state of origin team. He said my hip flexors and hamstrings were tight and to work on those.

Also seen a powerlifting coach, yourself... who worked on my form and said while not great it was passable... that i should do rack pull or deadlift from mats.

Duno... after my last squat session on 31st dec my lower back has been achey... i did a fairly big squat session... 3 working sets then 5x5 fsl. Usually only deadlifts fire up my back like this.

I do mobility work before each lifting session.

Hey Coach,

Whats an EP?

I saw a sports doctor... does work for the reds rugby and qld state of origin team. He said my hip flexors and hamstrings were tight and to work on those.

Also seen a powerlifting coach, yourself... who worked on my form and said while not great it was passable... that i should do rack pull or deadlift from mats.

Duno... after my last squat session on 31st dec my lower back has been achey... i did a fairly big squat session... 3 working sets then 5x5 fsl. Usually only deadlifts fire up my back like this.

I do mobility work before each lifting session.

What is FSL?

EP is an exercise physiologist, we have 2 here.
They get people moving pain free, then refer to us for coaching and programming.

Your issue is that you cant get to a standard height bar without being in spinal flexion.
That's why I had trap bars and rack pulls in your program instead, until the issues were resolved.

Ahhh wait on. I remember this bloke...hires a coach (a fucken great one too), and the first thing he does is come on here looking for other advice...

Chances are all of these questions have been answered right there in Valhalla Strength too.

Trust issues?

Exactly. A belt won't help bad lifting form, which probably is your real problem.

That said, a belt is also not something you use to "support your back". That's not, contrary to bro science, what a belt is for. A belt is used to brace against, not support your lower back.

A belt should start out a touch loose and then, prior to lifting the weight off the floor or off a stand, you push out into the belt. You should, if you are doing it right, feel not just your belly pushing out but your sides as well.

That said, I'm not saying to not get a belt and use one. They will make lifting safer just from having your torso braced to avoid spinal shift. But if you don't use it properly you can do some damage.

Best belts to use are powerlifting belts, because they are designed for heavy bracing. Lever belt is so much easier and faster to use, once you get your lever fitted to the right holes in the belt. Some use prong belts, which are a pain to put on and take off, as they say they can make them tighter or looser just by choosing a different notch in the belt. But if you are using it looser or tighter in a workout, you aren't using it properly anyway. Just get a lever belt. End of story.

To fix your lower back, your back needs to get stronger. Try paused hypers for the lower back. Seated rows for upper back.

Prong belts are a pain to put on. Haha. Ok, better not lift heavy weights either because that’s such hard work as well. .

Prong belts are a pain to put on. Haha. Ok, better not lift heavy weights either because that’s such hard work as well. .

Pic of Bazza avoiding anything difficult:

images-99.jpg

Best Belts make some great belts. I’ve got 3. All single prong. They’ll out live me easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk