• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

blakey72

Hi all. I'm just at the end of my first week in the gym. I'm 45 and haven't trained for about 15 years so am a little rusty. I thought for the first month I should do some conditioning so I don't injure myself so I'm going 5 days a week, doing very low weights and just doing basically big muscle groups. Bench, leg press, arm curls, shoulder press, leg curls, lat pull downs, tri pulldowns. I'm also doing most of this on machines. I had a disc pop out in my lower back about 12 months ago so I'm a little wary about going straight into squats, deadlifts etc. for now.

Do you think I should be taking this approach with these kinds of exercises to start up with? Should I stick on the machines or go to free or mix? When should I start raising the weight? Doing 3 x 12 reps atm. What do you think? Feel free to point me in another direction if I'm totally wrong with my thinking.

Cheers
Blake.

If you are doing 3 x 12 easily then up the weight.
Slow and steady mate.

Welcome to the forum.

If you are doing 3 x 12 easily then up the weight.
Slow and steady mate.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah wanted to move up a little but just don't want an injury. It's shit how much of a difference 10 years makes to the body. You still feel young but the ol' body doesn't always agree.

45 is not that old.
I’m 47.
[MENTION=3627]Goosey[/MENTION] is 60+ and [MENTION=9251]Darkoz[/MENTION] about the same.
They lift..... sometimes [emoji39]

Good stuff Shrek. I was thinking I'd be the old one on here, everyone being 20's-30's. Feel better now haha.

Youre all a bunch of old ****s.
Haha.

You are on the righr track starting easy. Give yourself that month to just get some fitness back (will happen quickly), and get your movement patterns etc in order with the weights. Machines are a good safe way to get back into it IMO. Of course when you get back to free weights, take those slow and steady also.

As for rep range etc, it doesnt really matter at this point. Id just look to do more on a per week basis. This can be as simple as just adding a bit of weight to each movement, each week.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ill go the other way and say start light, add weight when you make all the reps and don't add too much fluff work, stick with a few compounds and don't kill yourself in the first month. You can always add lifts and sessions as you improve. 3 times a week is plenty at the moment
I'm not as old as those kunce up there but about your age, you wont be able to handle what you did at 30 for a long time so don't train like your 30 just yet.

need to build muscle to act as shock absorber and force deliverer. Plus need to keep fresh in the gym doing different stuff.I love front squats men.

1. Compounds mainly
2. No fluff (what is fluff anyway)
3. Only 3 days per week

Those

1. Compounds mainly
2. No fluff (what is fluff anyway)
3. Only 3 days per week

Those

Fair enough.

What do you think an injured older guy with fuckall training for over a third of his life should be doing in his first month or two in the gym?

Clearly compounds are no good, neither is adequate recovery time. That only leaves fluff. So calf raises and wrist curls it is then.

He can do compound but me personally I wouldn’t do them exclusively.

He could do an Upper / Lower 2 on 1 off. That’s 4 days per week.

Or
FB
Off
Upper
Lower
Off
Fb
Off. Repeat

Hi all. I'm just at the end of my first week in the gym. I'm 45 and haven't trained for about 15 years so am a little rusty. I thought for the first month I should do some conditioning so I don't injure myself so I'm going 5 days a week, doing very low weights and just doing basically big muscle groups. Bench, leg press, arm curls, shoulder press, leg curls, lat pull downs, tri pulldowns. I'm also doing most of this on machines. I had a disc pop out in my lower back about 12 months ago so I'm a little wary about going straight into squats, deadlifts etc. for now.

Do you think I should be taking this approach with these kinds of exercises to start up with? Should I stick on the machines or go to free or mix? When should I start raising the weight? Doing 3 x 12 reps atm. What do you think? Feel free to point me in another direction if I'm totally wrong with my thinking.

Cheers
Blake.
I think your approach is sound and sensible and a good way start and as you progress you can probably reduce the frequency.

Last edited: