• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Gonna compete in this Novice Powerlifting Comp https://www.facebook.com/events/2130695267170288/

Would you guys recommend doing a month of smolov jnr for all 3 lifts in the lead up?

It’s for sure not something I’d recommend.

Its a weightlifting program, and a very hard one without drugs...... even with drugs.

There should be a change in programming from your strength block to your peaking block, but I can think of many better options, especially given where you’re at with your career.

its not even the full routine,its 3 weeks of squatting and benching 4 times a week with a week rest before comp.Yes its hard,but youll be conditioned to handle everything thrown at you on comp day,ur not training for 1 max lift,your training for 9 max lifts.

even though I'm in calorie deficit now I'm gonna start 2 weeks of smolov jr at 80% to train and somewhat acclimatise to the amount of bench and squat volume I'll be doing, starting tomorrow morning with the wednesday 7x5 day

squat weight will be 90 for 7x5
bench weight will be 75 for 7x5

obviously skipped the 'monday' of the program but did heavy bench sunday and heavy squat yesterday so still kinda comparable

Gonna buy myself a xmas present

Knee sleeves are gonna be tight but I've seen youtube videos of a guy whose knees are my size squeezing into them

Buying the knee wraps so I can go less tight on training days

I00ifMH.png

Any thoughts on stiff vs flexible wrist wraps?

Worth getting the 100cm instead of 60cm?

Never used them with any kind of consistency.
Focussed so much of squeezing my grip and focing my wrists to stay in position...that they just do it on thier own now haha.

One thing i do like about them is the cue to actually initiate and hold said squeeze.

In terms of length? No idea.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Never used them with any kind of consistency.
Focussed so much of squeezing my grip and focing my wrists to stay in position...that they just do it on thier own now haha.

One thing i do like about them is the cue to actually initiate and hold said squeeze.

In terms of length? No idea.

Consensus online seems to be 100cm is the best in comp for offering the most support but only adds a tiny bit more than 60cm but is way more of a hassle to put on.

Gonna go with 60cm

even though I'm in calorie deficit now I'm gonna start 2 weeks of smolov jr at 80% to train and somewhat acclimatise to the amount of bench and squat volume I'll be doing, starting tomorrow morning with the wednesday 7x5 day

squat weight will be 90 for 7x5
bench weight will be 75 for 7x5

obviously skipped the 'monday' of the program but did heavy bench sunday and heavy squat yesterday so still kinda comparable

wanna video and post your training up bro?Lets see the form and speed.

also give your assessment on how hard the sets are, i gotta be honest,im not a good deadlifter so incorporating the deadlift somehow,i dont know.I just thought i could get by on leg strength.I did speed deads on the 6x6 monday.

Last edited:
i stopped training the deadlift heavy 4 weeks out.I think u could get away with not worrying about your best lift,and focus on the other two,come comp day i think youll find with the extra motivation you will pull a deadlift pb.

i stopped training the deadlift heavy 4 weeks out.I think u could get away with not worrying about your best lift,and focus on the other two,come comp day i think youll find with the extra motivation you will pull a deadlift pb.
4 weeks?

I assume you still deadlifted circa your opener?

Alwaya interesting seeing how different people peak etc. Im often hitting openers in that least week. Just a few days out.

But in saying that i had a car accident 10 days out once....got whiplash. Didnt lift at all until comp day. Turned up, pbs on everything...won the comp. Haha

i remember missing my deadlift opener in the gym a week out lol,but then resting and doing 10 kgs over it in comp. As u can see hes missed 230 twice leading into smolovs,and all the squatting will mean he will be unable to pull 230 in training,but i reckon he should hit it on comp day.

Last edited: