• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

0ni

Registered Rustler
Increasing strength is a great way to build muscle, but how much muscle are you building if you increase your 8RM by 2.5kg that month? Eventually you run out of exercises that you can reliably get stronger on to build muscle

However muscular endurance, the amount of volume you can do within a 60 minute time frame, this can be increased almost indefinitely

Strength Vs Endurance
I've never been a fan of the "Vs" premise, as I much prefer to look at the wider picture, in order to arrive at some particular conclusion relating to the topic at hand.

Increasing strength is a great way to build muscle,
On one side of the coin yes sure, however on the flipside of that same coin, you may choose the exact opposite. Sports that come to mind are Olympic weightlifting, MMA, boxing, and most all sports that require one to be strong, yet place restrictions on bodyweight. So here, it'd be a case of maximising on strength, whilst simultaneously minimising on size. This now leads me to some evidence of how it is that one can increase one's muscle mass, as a consequence of training for strength and/or muscular endurance.

So we don't walk in to a gym to train for bigger muscles, as this occurs as a side effect of training for either strength and/or muscular endurance, and to pin these two against each other, is to favour one side of the coin, whilst totally ignoring its other side. If we equate for volume between these two factors (strength and muscular endurance), then as far as muscle size is concerned, it'll be all equal. For people who like to see an example of this numerically, here it is:100kg 3x10 and 100kg 6x5 ... both equated for volume at 3000kg.

Are there/will there be any differences between the above, i.e. the low reps and the high reps? Yes of course, but not when it comes to muscular hypertrophy. The lower reps are going to allow you more strength, whilst the higher reps are going to allow for more muscular endurance ... both leading to an increase in the size of your muscles, if and when you equate for volume of work.