• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

With lots of new lifters and coaches on the scene, it’s interesting to watch the different approaches people take when it comes to the meet.

I’ve now been competing for close to 10 years, and done well over 20 sanctioned events, 3 of which were international, and I can, with hand on heart, honestly say that 5 or less have been perfect meets.

When I’m talking about a perfect meet, I’m not talking about your prep. This is a hobby sport…. So there is no such thing as a perfect prep.

I’m talking about your result.

You don’t need to win to have a perfect meet, you don’t even have to make the podium, in fact, in my opinion you could even come dead last.
How many attempts do you think you need to make to have a perfect meet? 9 from 9? 7 from 9? Well…….. I think you can have a perfect meet going 3 from 9……. Though it will be a little harder to do.

In my opinion, having the perfect meet means placing as high as you possibly could, and doing no more, or no less.

As an example, lets look at Lifter John.
Lifter John totaled 687.5kg at his last meet, going 5/9, and placing 11th.
Now that’s not a bad total at all, but could have he placed higher?

10th place totaled 695kg
9th place totaled 700
8th place totaled 700
7th place totaled 705
6th place totaled 722.5
5th placed totaled 765

Now Lifter John went 5 from 9 in the meet, and a closer look at the result sheet shows that he was taking 20kg jumps from his second to his third, and missing.
If Lifter John hadn’t been so caught up in his own numbers, and looked at the bigger picture, I think he could have placed much higher.

If instead, Lifter John took a 10kg jump on each third attempt, and was successful, he instantly added 30kg to his end result.

Looking at the results, an extra 30kg on his total moved him from 11th place to 6th place!
A huge change to his placing.

Similarly, if he had gotten those 20kg jumps, it would have given him ANOTHER 30kg on what he totaled…. Giving him 755kg.

But what would that have done for his placing?
Nothing.

So, Lifter John actually had a terrible comp… He could have placed much higher then he did, but picked attempts that caused him to fail.

But this just doesn’t apply to newer lifters, this should, and is probably more important for the lifters at the top end.

This sport is a sport of longevity, and as such, you should do as much as you need to get yourself on the podium, but no more.

Your medal doesn’t say that you won by 60kg….. it just says that you won.

If I see a results sheet and the winner won buy more then 30 kilos……. I don’t think you had a perfect meet….. You did more then you needed and probaby risked injury for no extra gain.

Why risk the injury and extra wear and tear just for ego or E-fame? It’s not worth it.

Do what you have to, push when you need, and cruise when you can.

That’s the way all of my lifters compete, myself now included.
Be smart with your attempts, take notice on what other lifters are doing, and actually compete…. Don’t just lift weights.

Until the next one,
Stay Strong,
Scott Wasson

https://www.valhallastrength.com.au/the-perfect-meet/